Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review by jwoap

Cruise Date: July 2013
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: MA
See More About: Norwegian Pearl Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Thoughts on the Norwegian Pearl round-trip Alaska July 21

We just returned home today from a week's cruise to Alaska from Seattle on the Pearl. This is the second cruise that our family has taken to Alaska. Our first cruise was on the Norwegian Star.

There is so much good and great I want to get the negative out of the way first.

Bad:

This was my fault but I did not research the room or the location of our room before I booked a cruise. Our first cruise we were in a penthouse suite in the front of the ship. We slept wonderfully, it was quiet, no issue. This cruise our cabin was on deck 11 directly under the Garden Cafe which is a busy buffet. From the time they closed around 11 PM until three in the morning everything that went on in the kitchen we heard. Dropped pots and pans. Some big groaning sound that turned out to be the ships garbage grinder. Every time they rolled a big cart across the floor we can hear it over our heads.

The Summer Palace dining room was hit or miss. Our first meal there was stellar. Every meal after that was bad. For instance it took them 45 minutes to bring our breakfast order piecemeal. No one was served at the same time - our hot cereal, poached eggs, and pancakes were ice cold. Feedback from this particular restaurant wasn't taken seriously.

Lotus Garden sushi and Chinese- Sushi was good Chinese food bad.

Lots of always smelled like baby poop. Not sure why.

We thought that sleeping with her cabin door to our balcony partway open would be a great idea because of fresh sea air- Bad idea. Smoke from other people smoking on their balcony would come in as well as it was noisy.

The morning that deck six and seven lost water pressure and no coffee was bad:)

Oh and the fact that 24 bottles of water cost us $87.09 really sucked.

Picking up some sort of virus on the last day of the cruise.

I do wish that the crew had a better command of English- But we got by. They were willing to try and so were we:)

The good!

This was our first time in a mini suite and overall we liked the suite almost better than a penthouse suite. We were not in our cabin enough to utilize a Butler. The beds were fine, the bathroom was big, and overall it was good.

The layout of the Pearl is good:) It took me a few days to get the lay of the ship but once I had it memorized I was good to go.

Overall the staff was kind.

The embarkation and disembarkation was extraordinarily hasslefree and smooth.

The great!!

Cagney's restaurant of course! And all of their wait staff. Sameer the Maitre'D was amazing.

Alina and Gianinia who were the food and beverage officers were amazing.

Patrick Biredo was our concierge on the Star - Not only did he remember us on the ship but he took care of us on the ship!!!

The chocoholic buffet- Need I say more?

The captain and his staff were hilarious. I mean they were really funny!

Mr. fantastic from the spa was amazing - He's one of the hairdressers and is just hysterical as well as talented.

Jim the piano player on the Pearl was not only talented but hysterical I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in my life.

Glacier Bay was mind blowing. Utterly mind blowing.

The great outdoors cafe on the fantail of the ship was probably the best kept secret of the ship.

Best breakfast ever.

I have been hearing about the Spinnaker lounge for years- oh my gosh!!! We lived there:)

Eddie spaghetti was hilarious.

Our cruise director on the Pearl was fantastic.

The fun!

The captain was full of all kinds of funny jokes this cruise:)

I think this was a training cruise of sorts because there were a lot of first time or first season cruisers and a lot of mistakes were made but everyone had a pretty good sense of humor:)

Because we had some things go wrong staff would send us chocolate covered strawberries. We got them every single day. By day five of the cruise we were begging them not to send us any more strawberries:)

We tend to be the goofballs on the ship and because of that we get along with the crew really well:) There was lots of laughter and lots of joke telling and it was really like being with

Jim the piano player on the ship hands-down funniest guy ever.

Choosing to stay on the ship in one of the ports  I think our first port. I decided to sleep in only to be woken up by a fire alarm that was made for the crew and I thought for sure it was real and I almost ran out of my cabin with just my underwear on:)

Publication Date: 07/31/13