Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by 1969cruiser

Norwegian Epic
Norwegian Epic
Member Name: 1969cruiser
Cruise Date: March 2013

A Fun-filled Epic Adventure!
I am in my mid-forties and have cruised several times before with family.

Looking to vacation by myself, I looked up what was available & was excited to see that the studio cabins aboard the Epic offer everything needed to make a vacation feasible. Initially, the pricing brought a huge smile to my chubby little face! Then when I looked at the photos of the ship along with the amenities offered with the Studio cabins, no further contemplating was required. No deposit & monthly payments here. Paid in full. Overjoyed by the prospect of actually visualizing myself on a getaway, I walked like a new person, talked like a new person, and behaved as if I had just won the Final Spin on The Wheel of Fortune!

Before I knew it, the day of embarkation was at hand. I caught the Prime Time Shuttle to LAX and boarded a Delta Airlines red- eye to Miami. It was a wonderful flight. Upon arriving in Miami, I headed to Starbucks at MIA to get a cup-o-coffee. There, I ran into two lovely Canadian ladies who had just disembarked from the Epic. They filled me in on everything I needed to know. At that point it was clear to me that this was going to be a joyous beginning to my solo cruising career!

The embarkation was smooth & when I got to the Garden Cafe, I couldn't wait to get my hands sanitized and sprayed by the pretty Norwegian hostesses standing at the entrance. A nice lunch was consumed and finally le cruise director came on to tell us the staterooms were ready! It was spring break...this ship was sold out.....they could have filled a second Epic to capacity if she only had a sister!

Anyhow, where was I? Oh yeah, the key-card access to the Studio lounge was NICE! The stateroom was also was a delight. The service on board this ship was excellent with the young staff being polite as well as attentive. How they managed to deal with this overcrowded vessel was really beyond my scope of understading. Nonetheless, the younger crowd did give this particular cruise a level of energy and vibrancy that I had not experienced on previous cruises.

The only shore excursion taken was the Sea Blaster snorkeling in St. Thomas, which was awesome! I saw a sting-ray, a baracuda, endangered sea turtles feeding on the sea floor, and an array of beautiful tropical fish. The rum punch served on board on the way back to the Epic was fantabulous too. Soon I was at the front of the Catamaran dancing and having fun with other passengers who were having a blast as well. Be sure to wear lots of sunscreen for this activity. Do not take off your T-shirt when snorkeling here because you will burn your back.....I was peeling a few days later. And I don't mean peeling a potatoe! or a tomato!

I did not like the Blue Man Group. Me and my fellow solo travellers from Sydney and Vancouver walked out of the show. At an appropriate time, of course!

All in all, the food was delicious at most of the venues and although I did not win at Bingo, it was nice to play nonetheless. If you are cruising alone, the Epic is worth giving a try. You will not be disappointed!

I will always cherish the wonderful memories of this cruise!

Publication Date: 05/11/13