Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by aschippang: Norwegian Epic Miami transatlantic to Barcelona April 20,13

aschippang
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Transatlantic Cruises

Norwegian Epic Miami transatlantic to Barcelona April 20,13

Sail Date: April 2013
Destination: Transatlantic

This was our first transatlantic crossing, and we will most likely not do another one. Nine days with nothing to see but water was a little much for my husband. The Epic and it's crew were great, in our opinion. Norwegian put together a complete travel package for us and we were very pleased with it. (Cruise, two day hotel stay in Barcelona and the flight home to Miami) Everything went very smoothly until we were back at the Miami airport. We were 'wheels down' in Miami at 4:30pm..it took an hour to get through the initial passport check, then on to pick up our luggage and go through customs..then another hour waiting for the shuttle from our hotel to pick us up. Quite a difference from Barcelona's airport..everything was quick and smoooooothhhh in Barcelona. Very impressed with them.
I had read a lot of negative reviews of the Epic's staterooms but have to say, though they were a little tight around the end of the bed and the shower/toilet setup took a little getting More used to, we found our balcony cabin to be quite comfortable. The bed was probably one of the most comfortable on all the ships we traveled with, in my opinion. We had no issues with the small sink..no trouble as long as you didn't turn the water on full force. If you did, it was likely to shoot out over the side of the bowl. My biggest issue with the cabin was the dim lightly over the mirror at the sink. It made it VERY difficult to put on your makeup..especially if your vision is not 20/20. If you can, bring a lighted makeup mirror. Our room steward, Sherann, was very friendly and though we didn't ask much of her, she was always quick to try to take care of any issues.
We did not sail at full capacity, so I can only imagine how aggravating the elevators are when the ship is full. There are only two banks of elevators for such a large ship..very strange to me. The entertainment was great..no issues with reserving show times. The Epic theater is smaller than on most ships and has stadium seating..so..no bad seats. We enjoyed all the shows. Cirque Dreams and Dinner is great! Don't miss it! It does have a premium charge..we booked the premium seating..$10 more.. we sat on the second tier which places you around the upper level and gives you a really great birds-eye view of the show.. I think better than being on the ground level. We really enjoyed their dinner. A great steak! I made the mistake of anticipating warmer weather and packing almost all shorts and sleeveless items, so was a little cool for me..but my husband loved it. The two days of gale force winds and high seas made things a little challenging for some folks, but that is not to be controlled..and interesting experience. :-) We've sailed with Norwegian twice, now, and have thoroughly enjoyed both trips. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic Balcony Stateroom Deck 8 11141

Comfortable cabin and bed, though tight around the bed. Dim lighting above the mirror so hard to do makeup. Turn water on slowly in the sink and you will have no trouble with it. Nice balcony..over all quiet..great view. Loads of storage. Just FYI..the switch for the light over the mirror is located on the bottom of the medicine cabinet..(took us some hunting). There is extra storage behind the sofa backs. Toilet/shower split was really not a problem for us. The shower is large..plenty of room to reach out for your towel and dry off inside shower before stepping out.

We let Norwegian book us into two nights hotel stay. We loved Barcelona and found it very easy to get around in. They have a great public transit system. There was a subway stop less than a block from our hotel and we would hop it and take it into the center or the city and from there we took the Bus Turistic (hop on hop off) buses. There are three different routes that it runs around Barcelona. We rode all three routes the first day just to scope things out. The next day, we went back and hopped off several places to take closer looks. Barcelona is a beautiful city..lush and colorful..so much history! I booked the Bus Turistic from their own website ahead of time and saved 10%...booked it for two days.