Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by slick72: Avoid the ala carte

Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Celebrity Silhouette Western Caribbean Cruises

Avoid the ala carte

Sail Date: April 2013

I'm a 63 YO male Customer Service Director and my GF is 50 YO, I've been on 10+ cruises and this cruise was her 2nd. I'll just make a few comments and hopefully influence at least one of you to avoid a few things.

The cabin we used (9153) was one of the nicest I've ever seen on a cruise ship. Nyoman (from Indonesia) was our stateroom attendant and was the best I've ever had. Very nice gentlemen who worked his butt off for us. (BTW, the gratuities were included with the booking charges I paid to Celebrity but I suspect his cut was most likely pretty small after all the other palms above his pay grade have been greased), so we gave him something on our own. The guy deserved it.

My real beef (so to speak) was the specialty restaurants packages. I bought the 5 specialty restaurant package and was told by my Celebrity booking agent that the first night dinner will be at the Tuscan Grill at 6:30 PM. I was told that when I arrived onboard to seek the Maitre d and More schedule the rest of the dinners. We were allowed on the ship about 12:30 and I found the specialty dinner gentleman at a folding table about 1:30 to schedule. Guess what, all they had were 4 reservations for 6:00 and one for 6:30. I told the guy that's ridiculous and way too early for dinner and asked for my money back but I was told there are no refunds and I have to take the times and restaurants they assign. I suppose I could have greased his palm and got the times I wanted (at least one or two nights) but I'm not going to do that. My lesson is to never purchase this so called specialty restaurant package again and I advise you not to either. Our first dinner was not at the Tuscan Grill but at the Lawn Club Grill.

One other comment is my GF's birthday (pre scheduled special event) fell through the cracks somehow and nothing happened for her.

My GF is a FB addict so I bought an onboard 208 minute internet package for $99.95 (that's $.48 per minute folks). WI-FI works OK in the stateroom but the connection speed is almost dial-up slow (I suppose it's like that so Celebrity can make money).

The ship is really nice and we did have a great time but next time I cruise with Celebrity I'll avoid all this ala carte crap and just eat in the Cuvee (main) dining room and leave the ipad at home. Less

Read more Celebrity Silhouette cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Silhouette Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Silhouette Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Veranda Panorama Deck (9) 9153

Nice bathroom and shower with this class of ship. Bed was very nice and balcony was great.

Good shopping port for bartering and felt safe. People there were very nice.
Read 3107 Cozumel Reviews

Beautiful place, take the horse back ride tour.
Read 479 Falmouth Reviews