Celebrity Millennium Cruise Review by smjaeger: Celebrity Millennium is from another Millennium

smjaeger
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Celebrity Millennium Asia Cruises

Celebrity Millennium is from another Millennium

Sail Date: March 2013
Destination: Asia
Embarkation: Singapore

his was our 4th cruise, the 3rd on a Celebrity Ship, the first 2 were on the Solstice class ships. The Millennium was "Solsticized" to use Celebrity's term. I saw minimal evidence. The public spaces were nice, however I've never had so much trouble walking on a deck in my life and I was in the Navy. The Floors are extremely uneven with lots of bumps and unexpected drops often a 2-3 or even 4 inch change between areas and WITHIN areas. I can just imagine elderly people trying to navigate the decks.
Lots of VERY sloppy maintenance. The carpets in the main dining room were loose and caught chair legs or people's feet as they moved. I was attacked by a table leg being loose and falling on me in the same dining room. Bathroom stall walls were loose (screws missing), sliding doors were screeching etc. There were lots of areas in public view with peeling paint on sheet metal. The tables in the main theater were wobbly, oops, there goes another drink. The light diffusers were missing, More oh, I needed that flash of light in my eyes.
Our cabin was Concierge class, oh boy, it was minuscule compared to the same ones on the Solstice. The balcony dividers cannot be opened to join an area together (our last tour on a Solstice ship we had 13 people together and just opened all the balconies together). Our slider whistled all the time. We finally stopped it with spent drink card wedged in the space. The curtains were dirty and missing hangers so they dangled. The closet doors had to be jammed closed (the European closers were loose). The bathroom toilet paper cover was held in place by a wood screw (which stuck out a 1/4 of an inch threatening to snag things). (BTW, I saw more use of sloppy wood screws in other locations to replace metal screws-- can't maintenance buy the right type of screws?) The veneer on the bathroom was coming off the cabinets. The soap holder was loose in the shower and the whole area was rusted and just painted over. The floor would bounce in the shower as we shifted around and it had a high point which prevented a lot of the water from draining rapidly. To top off all of the maintenance problems, we had engine problems and had to skip our last port which was the highlight of the trip --- Hanoi. I and several others, when I asked, had noted the strange vibration in the engine the night before we pulled into Hue which was when we found out there were issues. We were 2 hours late making port at Hue. We had our tours and a late leave, but that's when we were informed about the engine problems and that we had to skip Hanoi. We limped into our disembarkation port Hong Kong at HALF SPEED. Talk about a slow boat to China. (However, compared to Carnival our cruise was a piece of cake.)
The good thing, and that was a lot of good, was the staff; they were almost universally delightful. We had a chartered cruise (yes, the entire ship was chartered) so things were a bit more relaxed; so the usual stuffiness and barrier between staff and guests were let down. The crew really appreciated the lightness and the chance to have a bit more fun than usual. Our final dinner was a blast with the antics (good) of some of the waiters but this was overall the way it was all 11 days. The food in the main dining and specialty restaurants was good to excellent and again the staff was a delight. With the chartered ship we had a lot of our own entertainment but the staff show people did get to strut their stuff some too, but they had a light week also which was nice for them.
In summary, the staff made up for the ship's deficiencies; but Celebrity needs to put this tired thing out to pasture. Less

Read more Celebrity Millennium cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Millennium Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Millennium Concierge Class Vista Deck (7) 8152

Our cabin was Concierge class, oh boy, it was minuscule compared to the same ones on the Solstice. The balcony dividers cannot be opened to join an area together (our last tour on a Solstice ship we had 13 people together and just opened all the balconies together). Our slider whistled all the time. We finally stopped it with spent drink card wedged in the space. The curtains were dirty and missing hangers so they dangled. The closet doors had to be jammed closed (the European closers were loose). The bathroom toilet paper cover was held in place by a wood screw (which stuck out a 1/4 of an inch threatening to snag things). (BTW, I saw more use of sloppy wood screws in other locations to replace metal screws-- can't maintenance buy the right type of screws?) The veneerion the bathroom was coming off the cabinets. The soap holder was loose in the shower and the whole area was rusted and just painted over. The floor would bounce in the shower as we shifted around and it had a high point which prevented a lot of the water from draining rapidly.