Golden Princess Cruise Review by Cloud675

Member Name: Cloud675
Cruise Date: October 2012
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Hawaii
See More About: Golden Princess Cruise Reviews | Hawaii Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

My negative experience with Golden Princess
This is a very long review. Here's a short version for those interested.

We got a noisy room. We couldn't sleep. We talked to customer service they said there was nothing they could do about it and that a manager would give us a call. The call never came and I because very sick from the lack of sleep and just wanted to go home. We went back to the front desk and again they said there was nothing they could do about it. We asked if we could just go home then and the rep. said yes. We paid a premium for next day plane tickets so we could go straight from the port to the airport back home. As we were leaving they stopped us and made us wait for a manager. He was rude and threatened to fine us $300 each. We told him what the front desk reps. told us. He made us wait an hour while he called the front desk to figure out what happened. He lied twice about how the front desk manager called us when he never did. He admitted that the rep. made a mistake and told us we wouldn't be fined.

All in all the customer service on Princess is what made me fall in love with them and it is the customer service that has made me hate them. We will never cruise with Princess again.

Long version:

Our very 1st cruise was with Princess and we really enjoyed their customer service. We go on 2 to 3 cruises a year and we've been on 8 during the last three years. I had really wanted to go to Hawaii and knowing that we would be on the same boat for 14 days we decided the Princess was the way to go. Customer service has always been the number one factor in choosing which company to go with.

However, on the first night we started having problems. Our room ended up being right under the fitness center, and was also the last room in that corridor. There must have been laundry machines in the employee only area next to us because all night all I could hear was the swirling sound of dryers and washers. To make it worse, in the morning around 7am I would hear running and jumping from the fitness center. So during that first night my husband and I could not sleep more than 2 hours. We went to the front desk that day and told them about our situation. The customer service rep. told us that there was nothing she could do and that all the other rooms were taken. She told me that I should take some medicine if I wasn't feeling well and that the front desk manager would call to check up on us later. I went and bought sleeping pills to see if that would help. It didn't.

We went through 4 days with about 8 hours of sleep because of all the noise. I had waited in the room for a manager to call but we never recieved one. Finally I couldn't take it and we went back to the front desk and told them that the cruise was making me sick and that I needed to go home. We asked the rep. what we needed to do to get off the ship at the next stop. He told us that all we needed to do was close our accounts which we did. We asked again if there was anything else we had to do and he said no. He told us to pack our bags and disembark at the next stop.

My husband bought next day plane tickets to go back home from the next stop so we could get off the boat and go straight to the airport. The next morning when we were disembarking, the employees stopped us and asked if we were disembarking. We said we were and he asked us to wait and got a manager. The manager was extremely rude and told us we were not allowed to disembark and that if we did he would fine us $300 each. We were both shocked and asked why they did not tell us from the beginning. We explained how we had talked with the front desk rep. and that he told us we could just leave and told us about our whole situation. We had already bought plane tickets. We also explained that the front desk rep said a manager would call but that he never did. He told us to wait so he could call the front desk. He made us wait about an hour.

He told us that the manager said he already talked to us when we told him he didn't he went to call the front desk again. He then came back and told us that the manager had called our room and left a message but I know he didn't because I was in the room the whole time and no one called. I also know about the message system and there were no messages I had been waiting for the manager to call and he never did. He then told us that there was other rooms available and urged us to stay. We told them that they should have offered that sooner because we had already booked next day flights that were expensive and at that point we would just rather pay the fine and leave. We told them we didn't understand how a Princess rep. told us we could leave and now after we bought plane tickets they were going to fine us if we left. He admitted that the representative had made a mistake and told us that they wouldn't fine us.

I truly believe customer service makes a difference. Princess is known for their customer service and it is what made us like them so much in the first place. The customer service on this boat was next to none. Until the moment we left there was not a single employee that tried to help me feel like I was on vacation. Nobody was helpful and a lot of them were rude. I will never cruise with Princess again.

Publication Date: 03/29/13