Golden Princess Cruise Review by Hawaiimom2013: Exceeded Expectations

Exceeded Expectations

Sail Date: February 2013
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: Los Angeles

My husband and I have been loyal Celebrity cruisers but because of the fact my husband had a small window of time in which to travel, we decided to take the Golden Princess to Hawaii. This was only our second Princess cruise. The last one was nine years ago. We had somewhat low expectations when we boarded, but we were happily surprised the moment we stepped onto the Golden Princess!

The ship was clean and well appointed. Our inside room was clean and smelled fresh. It had a small table and one chair. If you order room service, one person needs to sit on the bed. We had some kind of a utility room over our room and on the first night and thereafter we heard sounds like carts moving across the floor with accompanying footsteps. It got worse as the cruise went on. By the 9th day we complained to guest services and the next day they gave us a new room down the hall along with one hundred dollars cabin credit!

The dining experience was also superb. We had a great waiter More named Irina. But what most impressed us was the attention that was given to our table mate. She had a gluten and nut allergy. Every night during dinner, the head waiter came with the next evening's menu and she told him what she would like for dinner and the chef prepared her dinner gluten and nut free! The head waiter personally came and served her dinner plate to her every night! He even had the chef make special desserts for her so she didn't have to have creme brulee or ice cream every night. We were all blown away! Tea was also served every afternoon in the dining room with sandwiches and scones...what a treat!

Another thing that made our trip special was the husband and wife duo called "Elua". They not only sing beautiful Hawaiian music, but they lead various Hawaiian activities on the ship such as ukelele lessons, lei making and hula.
I took ukelele lessons from Dave and I had such a blast. Not only did Dave make it fun, but we received 7 hours of instruction. They have such a personal interest in each passenger and gave so much of themselves to us. I joined eighty ukelele players and forty hula dancers for a show on the last cruise day. Thanks to Dave and Leialoha for giving the passengers much aloha!

The cruise director gave interesting talks about the history of the islands. We also had a naturalist on board and we enjoyed her lectures, too. A few people said eight and a half sea days were too long, but we loved them. I think it's one of those things that if you love sea days, you will like this itinerary. If you don't like sea days so much, it might be too many for you.

The last thing I would mention is the weather. We had beautiful, warm, sunny days in the islands but the weather was cold as we crossed the pacific. Bring warmer clothes with you as well as summery clothes. Also, bring your aloha clothes to wear in the islands and on the ship.

My husband has already said we are going to do this same cruise next year...fine with me! Aloha Less

Read more Golden Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Golden Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Golden Princess Interior Double Emerald Deck B726

Our inside cabin, B633, was in a good location but was under a utility room. It was noisy all night. We complained the 9th day and they moved us to a much quieter room, B726.

This is just a four hour stop. Don't bother getting off.
Read 252 Ensenada Reviews

(4)
We bought tickets for the Hop On Hop Off Trolley. Went to Tsunami museum. We went to a recommended snorkel place but it wasn't very good. If you want good beaches, you have to go to the other side of the island.
Read 271 Hilo Reviews

We rented a car and drove to the North Shore...beautiful drive and highly recommend. We were disappointed in Waimea Botanical Gardens...way too many people in the waterfall/pool. I was there 30 years ago and had the pool to myself. Now there are lifeguards telling you what you can and can't do, really? My husband said all they need to do is sell popcorn to add to the circus environment.
Read 265 Honolulu Reviews

Just walked to the beautiful beach in front of Marriott.
Read 237 Kauai Reviews

(5)
My favorite place in the whole world! Did our own whale watch on Zodiac boat with Pacific Whale Foundation. The whales put on quite a show for us..fabulous!
Read 265 Maui Reviews