Carnival Valor Cruise Review by darkkskyzz

Cruise Date: April 2006
        7-9 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Valor - Western Caribbean
We flew in a day early and stayed over at the Hyatt Regency in Miami. Nice hotel, clean, heated pool. Nice and easy metro system in Miami....free too! We took the metro to Bayside Marketplace and ate dinner at Bubba Gumps. Good food...high prices. The marketplace itself was cool to be in though!

Got to the port around noon....there were 11 of us checking in at the time (the other 3 had VIP check in...la de da! LOL). When we got there we were amazed at the length of the lines. We had 3 kids around 9 with us...and they were not happy to see that! They moved the lines very quick though. We were on the boat with drinks in our hands in an hour.

Rooms: We had a balcony room...no other way to go! Our steward, Rambert was AWESOME. The first 2 nights he was waiting for us when we got back from dinner so that he could see our daughter's reaction to the towel animals.

Food: We only ate in the dining room twice, on both formal nights. First night there was NOTHING on the menu I would eat. I asked if they could just cook a chicken breast for me, which they said they would. I got my meal....it was rubber, tasted like water...and they served it with French fries. Everyone else had mashed potato...or baked. They didn't even give me an option. I left it there and ordered room service later. My husband and the rest of my table that night ordered the lobster and said it was very good. Better than they expected. We come from MA...so we do tend to be snobs about seafood. They all said it was very sweet...and all ended up ordering another plate of it! Rosie's was ok...not too much in the way of variety. Same things for breakfast....small amounts of change for lunch and dinner. Nice to have the deli, pizza, oriental, and fish and chips there for alternatives. There were lines...but nothing major. Taste was good considering it's a buffet.

Room service: Weird room service. Nothing hot on the menu at all. Breakfast would be continental. The refried bean sandwich and the chicken fajita sandwich were awesome. My husband had the roast beef and said it was wicked good.

Elevators: There are so many elevators on this ship, we didn't ever have to wait. Even when we were getting back on board from a port there was no wait! My daughter especially loved the glass ones overlooking the lobby. The only flaw there was that some idiot took a red Sharpie and drew squiggles on one marble elevator wall...and on the other wrote "Cortland Davis was here 2006".

Camp Carnival: We had 5 kids with our group...2 were 12, 2 were 9, and one was 8 and 11 months. During orientation for the camp we mentioned how he would be turning 9 soon and 2 of his cousins would be in the 9 year old group. They said they would do what they could considering the amount of kids on the boat (spring break week). He ended up being in the 9 year old group...which made his week. The kids had such a ball...and Grant and Hayley the counselors were AWESOME!

Infirmary: Didn't think we would need this...but glad it's there! LOL One of the members of our group fell in Belize and needed stitches in her knee. She said the doctor was awesome. Just FYI LOL

Grand Cayman: Did the reef and wreck snorkel tour. My daughter was scared at first...but then got the hand of it and LOVED it! There were all sorts of fish! The view was awesome! They then took us to see a ship wreck, very interesting! Walked around the island a bit after that, did a little shopping. Fun stuff :) There is a shopping mall right across from the pier that has some parrot/macaws and a big iguana in a cage. Fun for the kids while mom and dad are shopping!

Roatan: Did horseback riding with Roosemarie and Shirkie...they were awesome! We had 2 kids who were wanting to go...until they got on the horses. Lots of tears and "Get me off of here, I don't wanna go" going on. The two guides, Shirkie and Smiley were fantastic! They each led a child, and by the end the kids were laughing and saying they would love to do it again! I can't get over how quickly they got the kids comfortable with riding. When the ride ended, they took us to some cashew trees and we got to suck on the fruit...delicious! Went to Fosters after that for some swimming. Beautiful beach (Tabayana). No problem with sand fleas or anything.

Belize: We stayed on the boat. My daughter loved having the waterslide all to herself...literally! 8 of our group did the cave tubing. Said it was ok...but thought it would be more fun than it was.

Costa Maya: :( The waves were so bad we couldn't dock. Not for lack of trying though. Oh well. We all got a $25 per person shipboard credit for it.

Kids: The only time we had problems with wild kids was at night. Packs of them running around screaming (literally). My daughter was woken up one night by a group of teenagers singing their version of opera while running up and down our hall. We saw this same group of kids smashing the elevator buttons with their elbows so hard they broke some of them. Taking DD to a Camp function one night there was a crowd of teenagers (about 20) sitting outside the disco throwing things, standing on the piano (outside of the disco) and screaming at each other. One in particular was yelling obscenities for everything he said. There were a line of young kids waiting to sign into the disco for the farewell party. My husband went over to the teenagers and put some fear into them...no problems with them after that.

Deck chairs: saw a few people saving seats, but it really wasn't an issue.

Getting off the boat was simple. We had a Miami tour booked, so they took us right off. We went to Parrot Jungle Island. Was a very nice zoo!

All in all it was a great vacation! Sorry to be home! :)

Publication Date: 04/29/06