Carnival Miracle Cruise Review by cruiserjunkie: Carnival Miracle - Western Caribbean

cruiserjunkie
Member Since 2006

Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Miracle Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Miracle - Western Caribbean

Sail Date: February 2006
Embarkation: Tampa

My wife & I try to cruise once a year, usually in February. This was our 5th cruise & second with Carnival. We arrived in Tampa a day early. Being from Denver, you don't want to miss your cruise because you're snowed in at the airport. We booked a hotel room on priceline.com. We got the Wyndam Westshore for $70 including all taxes & fees. This was a bargain as this was a very nice hotel. The hotel included a free shuttle from airport to hotel. The Tampa port terminal was great. Not nearly as busy as Miami or Ft. Lauderdale.

Overall we enjoyed our trip. Some of the things we liked; I'll start with the food.....The Deli/sandwich bar was nice. It is located on the Lido deck in Horatio's dining area. They basically use a glorified "George Forman" grill to toast your sandwich. They were very good. The Lido deck grill also was good. You had your choice of chili, fried onions & mushroom for your burgers, which I thought was great. We ate every evening at the Bacchus More formal dining room. The food was good & plentiful. The only complaint I had, was the dessert selection. Some nights the desserts seemed unimaginative. Our cruise last year was on Celebrity, and I always looked forward to the dessert choices. They were magnificent! The "pink" grapes in the dining room were a bit much, but you got used to them after awhile. My wife had a "sushi" snack a few times before dinner. The sushi cart was located outside the sports bar. But it was only open from 5-8:30pm. The pizza was OK, not as good as our first Carnival cruise in my opinion.

The ship was well laid out. I like having two large pools close together on the Lido deck. I also appreciated the "adults only" hot tub in the back of the ship on the Lido Deck. For some reason the kids gravitate toward the hot tubs on the two main pools and you could never get in the water.

Entertainment....The Lido deck band was ok, but they could not sing if their lives depended on it. I'd definitely fire them if I were the cruise director. The comics in the Phantom lounge were hilarious. I recommend going to the late night comic R rated shows. They are not to be missed. The singers/dancers were OK. We had a hypnotist on the last night. That is a show I'll never forget. It was amazing what he could make people do!

Ports of Call: Costa Maya was great. We took a cab to the small fishing village for $3p/p. I think the fishing village was spelled Mauhjaul. Anyway after getting out of the cab, we walked as far as you could go before you see your last beach bar. We stopped at the last beach bar called Pez Quadro (I Think). Anyway look for the last bar on the beach with wooden swings hanging from the rafters. Get on the swing & order a beer. Then kick back on the beach & enjoy the day. It was great. I paid $20 for a 1/2 hour massage by a local. It was the best massage I've ever had.

Cozumel, yep the docks were destroyed, so we tendered in. I could not believe NOBODY was working to repair the docks! We did some shopping and stopped at Senior Frogs for a few Margaritas. We had 4 Margaritas, a soda, a plate of fish tacos & a plate of chips & salsa. Our bill.....$67. I thought this was a bit out of line for Mexico, but the atmosphere was nice.

Belize, we did cave tubing, which we booked online using at Cave-tubing.com. This was the first tour Ive ever booked not using the cruise ship. Considering the cruise ship wanted $89 for this tour, I took my chances with Cave-tubing.com & paid $45. Glad I did the tubing on my own, the bus was not crowded, our guides were funny & informative. I would not recommend this tour if you are not in great shape physically. You have to hump (one of my favorite Marine Corps terms) about 45 minutes through a steamy jungle carrying your inner tube & lifejacket. We had to stop numerous times to wait for the stragglers who could not keep up with us. One lady, who looked as if she was about to keel over, said I dont remember this being part of the tour. Well, if you read the cave-tubing.com web page, it does say you have to walk through a jungle to get to the caves. We also had an older lady who could not make it, and she was given a shorter tour. I would highly recommend Yhony & his crew at cave-tubing.com. After our tour, Yhony had the bus stop at a local bar/cafe. We tried some local cashew wine. I liked it so much I purchased a bottle for my wife.

Grand Cayman-I again booked a tour on my own using Captain Bryan for the Sting Ray Swim. http://www.cayman.org/captainbryan. The water was a bit choppy & Carnival cancelled their Sting Ray Swim. SO I was glad I booked on my own. Since the water was choppy, there was only ONE other boat on the sand bar. We had the sting rays, virtually to ourselves. After that we did a bit of snorkeling at a reef. I enjoyed the tour and would also recommend Captain Bryan for your tour. He was about half price compared to what Carnival wanted for the exact same tour.

Disembarkation: It was fantastic. Our flight left Tampa at 11:15 am, so we chose to carry off our own luggage and use the self disembarkation process. We were off the ship by 8:15am and at the airport by 8:45am.

If you want more information on Carnival Miracle or the ports, please email me. Less

Read more Carnival Miracle cruise reviews >>