Legend of the Seas Cruise Review by depwife: Legend of the Seas - Western Caribbean

depwife
Member Since 2005

Family & Children 4.0
Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Legend of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Legend of the Seas - Western Caribbean

Sail Date: December 2005
Embarkation: Tampa

I sailed on the Legend of the Seas out of Tampa on 12/10/2005 for 7 nights to the Western Caribbean and I have to say that I really enjoyed the Legend of the Seas. I thought the food was really good. There was plenty of variety in the dining room and if you didn't like the nightly "specials", there was always the stand-by menu of chicken, fish and steak. We ate breakfast in the Windjammer every morning. The food could have been a little warmer, but it's a buffet and it's hard to keep it very warm. It was good though. They had the usuals, hot/cold cereals, eggs, waffles/pancakes/French toast, fruit, breads, and an omelet bar (which my DH said was really good).

The entertainment was pretty good also. We especially liked the Production shows. They were GREAT! Most of the good stuff happened after 10pm and we didn't get to participate because of the kids. They don't do well with late nights, so they were in bed most nights by 9:30pm. But, my mother and father went to the QUEST More and the Sock Hop and had a BLAST!

We had great service from everyone we encountered, especially at dinner. We had early seating and our waiters were awesome! We were traveling with an emotional, picky, 16-year-old teenage girl and they had TONS of patience with her. I was surprised. I would not have been able to handle it as well as they did. They were also wonderful to our children and were able to accommodate our every request. Our room steward did a great job! The only complaint my children had was that we only received 2 towel animals during the week.

The Adventure Ocean club was OK. The only other cruise we have taken the kids on was with Disney and RCI's kid's club cannot compare, at least on the Legend (I can't speak for other RCI ships, but personally I don't think any cruise line's kids club can compare to Disney's). It is a small area for the 3-8 year olds. The room is split - 3-5 on one side and 6-8 on the other. The bigger kids are across the hall. They had good activities and my kids enjoyed it. They made lots of friends and the staff were very nice. They are open until 10pm with no charge, but they have late-night time available at a nominal fee. They had theme nights for the kids - pajama movie night, pirate night, rock n' roll party, carnival night. My kids didn't go to Pirate night, but those that did walked all over the ship - dining room, theater, Centrum, boutiques - and did a really cute pirate skit. We were a little disappointed in the security of their sign in/out procedures. You just signed on a sheet. They didn't check your ID to compare it to the names allowed to pick the kids up. Although, after a couple of times, the staff did learn who you were. When we boarded the ship, they assigned color-coded wristbands to all of the children onboard (whether you use the club or not) that identify their Muster station. They have a Kids' Evacuation Plan (KEP) where if there is an emergency, the parents are to go to their Muster station and the staff members will bring the children to them, based on their armband. It's a good system (thankfully we didn't have to test it out). In addition to the regular Muster Drill, they hold a special KEP Muster drill with the kids on the 1st day at sea.

Speaking of the Muster Drill, this was the best one I have ever been through. Their life jackets were actually kind of comfortable. My past Muster experiences were claustrophobic - the jackets would almost choke you they were so tight around your neck. This Muster Drill was great!

My husband, the 2 kids and I were in a large oceanview room on deck 2 forward. It probably would have been a little tighter if the kids were bigger, but for us it worked out very well. There was plenty of room for all of our clothes and shoes and the luggage fit nicely under the beds. (if you have large luggage you will need to lift the bed to slide it under). Note: There are only 2 outlets in this room and both are in the "living area" at the desk. There are electric razor outlets in the ceiling in the bathroom.

Embarkation was very smooth and as was disembarkation. Those who completed the online check-in got through the Embarkation process much quicker than those that did not. Numbered tickets are assigned to each group and you can board when your number is called. As far as disembarking goes, again when your number (or luggage tag color) is called, you can leave the ship. Guest Relations is very accommodating if you want to change out your luggage tag if you need to leave the ship a little earlier that what you are scheduled for.

Unfortunately during this trip, my mother had an accident and had to visit the infirmary. If you ever have to use the infirmary, it is a very well-equipped facility. I work in a hospital and was very impressed with the services they provide. They have an overnight observation area, an ICU, a CCU, X-Rays, can do minor surgical procedures...And the prices aren't too bad, considering. They do not file insurance or Medicare. They charge the usual Medicare fees and charge everything to your SeaPass account. They give you all the paperwork you will need to send on to your insurance. The physician and nurse on staff were very nice and had excellent bedside manners.

We have sailed on Carnival, Disney and now RCI. We were very pleased with the Legend of the Seas. Would we definitely sail on the Legend again, but next time without the kids so I can enjoy more of the entertainment, and in a room with a balcony (just because). This was my parents 1st cruise and they LOVED it! They are going to book another cruise for next year!

Overall, I would give the Legend 2 thumbs up!! Less