Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review by Hawaiidan

Embarkation: other
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Cabin Category: 08
Cabin Number: 2085
See More About: Celebrity Infinity Cruise Reviews | South America & Antarctica Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Entertainment 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

An excellent cruise in all respects, others despite reviews
You can please some of the people all of the time; Some of the people part of then time but you just cant please all the people all of the time to paraphrase honest Abe.

That said I will give you an honest, from my perspective, objective report of the Infinity sailings of Jan 20, 2013 to Buenos Aires and On Feb 3 to Antarctica...a total of 28 continuous days. I think that a steady observation of day in and day out has pretty good view of the ship, her crew.

The Ship: Is very large stable and has so many public spaces, bars and nooks that it took me 20 days to get to all of them. Carrying 2000 people is to me a very large ship but it handle it well in even 20+ seas and 60kt winds. The Infinity looks and feels like a ship is supposed to and has avoided all the silly things like lawns, rock climbing, ice skating and zip lines.

The only detail I found poor is the Kids club that took 40% of the available viewing away from the 11th deck lounge and the aft cabins on deck 10 that removed the ability to get around. Too the lack of a laundry package or self serve was a problem but not serious.

The Cabins: Are all about the same size and have the amenities, about 180 sq ft with a large shower, good closet space. We had no problem storing enough clothes and gear for 28 days that range from 92 degrees humid and sunny to 29 degrees and snow. Cabin stewards were just great and there is nothing I felt I could even remotely complain about. We had a problem keeping warm in antarctic waters because of the large window in the cabin. We solved it by keeping the drapes fully closed and sealing the area with pillows for insulation. This condition I don't think is a design fault as steel and glass are poor insulators.

For this cruise I would take a inside cabin rather than an outer cabin because people found that cant really use the features they paid for and the best views were always on deck or in the lounge without exception.

The Food: Having studied cooking at Cordon Blu and being a foodie I am totally amused by some cultures and people and how snooty and childish they can act over food, let alone food on a cruise. Let me state that without exception, that the food on the Infinity was very very good and better than many main stream dining houses on shore.

The Trellis Dining room was nice and offered a very simple choice of 5 different entries each night.

The buffet or Ocean View and Ocean view grill offered maybe 20 to 30 different things each night...Prime rib,Leg of Lamb,Ham,Pork Loin,Sirloin roast. Asian stir fries of every type, A full Indian section with great Curry's and tandoori. The Ocean Grill offers steaks, chicken several types of fish and kabobs grilled to order. The salad bar offered an excellent assortment of fresh salads and sided.

Lobster was served and there were 8 oz very large tails.

My only complaint was having to endure some diners. We observed who liked to order 2 appetizers,3-5 main courses, and 2 to 3 deserts almost every night. For this reason as well as the outstanding buffet selections we choose to limit our attendance at the Trellis restaurant. I would suggest table for 2 in select dining as a option of avoiding the uncouth and the gluttons that you may encounter. I thought I could deal with those situations. I was mistaken.

If you have a problem with the buffet I would suggest you go look in the mirror...it ain't the food that the problem is with.

The pool grill serves a giant burger..8 oz that is the best I have had on any ship and any time While the Ocean view grill does very good grilled sandwiches and flat out outstanding British fish and chips... that blew away many Brit's on board... I mean everything but the scratchings..

Soups and breads were all great and of great variety. Sauces were also well made of excellent taste

Now, I do not eat or like sweets so I cant tell you about deserts but they looked good.

As to quality, I saw nothing in 28 days, 3 meals a day that was off or of the best quality . Nothing was off color,wilted or anything but.

The special restaurants in light of this bounty of variety and excellence offered a poor value to me. It seemed the appeal was more to the ego than the sense . Quisine appears to be nothing more than fast food with a spiffy garnish to me. Since almost the entire menu.

Shows: Without a doubt the best shows I have seen at sea.. WOW. And I am not a show person. The ships productions were the best the others not too much.

Enrichment: Was fairly good with good guest speakers for most of the time .

Activities: Non stop... as many as 6 trivia a day and all sorts of classes and acivites Even though most of the passengers were over 50 The ship staff did a great job to involve everyone.

Fellow Guests: Very international German, Spanish, British, Australian Canadian,American and Chinese and Japanese. Of which the Americans sad to say were some of the rudest. So my fellow countrymen.. take a course in manners or stow your out bursts the world is watching, please. On of the great joys of this cruise was meeting and interacting with other cultures.

The Ports: Do them on your own... or pay the price of a mass package and poor results and high prices.

Antarctica: How was the cruise? Was the worst sea in the world nasty, was the weather foul? What can you expect? The truth from a man who has made 10 antarctic trips," I never had the same conditions for any trip I ever made in 10 years".

To tell what we had would be foolish as you will probably never get the same.. It can be calm as a lake or with 30 to50 ft seas. The wind can whisper at 5 kts to roar at 65 Kts. It can be cloudy, clear,foggy snowing and sunny all in a 2 hour space of time. I did not let it bother me nor should you.

If you cant cope well...don't make this cruise... go to Vegas or Disney.

In short expect the unexpected and be flexible this is a harsh place and people who come need to be flexible. You may miss ports or whole areas...that's the way life happens cruising here. Only a fool or an idiot would venture here expecting anything less....

In summary then this was a good value, a good experience with great food and people. We had a great crew and there is nothing I can complain about aside from the slight ones mentioned. none of which were enough to ruin any one or thing.

Bumps in the road so to speak on the sea of life. And I reiterate If you have problems with Infinity I would look another cause....it ain't the ship, crew,cabins or food...

Publication Date: 02/22/13