Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review by radsailor

Cruise Date: February 2013
Embarkation: Buenos Aires
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Cabin Category: CS
See More About: Celebrity Infinity Cruise Reviews | South America & Antarctica Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+
Shore Excursions 5+

South America and Antarctica 2013
We had planned this cruise for over a year and it was well worth it! Got to Buenos Aires a day early and stayed in the Recoleta area at the Melia Hotel. Lovely hotel in a great area. We arranged for the hotel to pick us up at the airport since we had never been to BA before. Ate a great steak at El Marisol which was walking distance from the hotel.

Embarkation was the worst that I had ever encountered in all of my cruises. It was chaos. No clear direction as to where to go and no clear lines. I heard later that they had computer problems at the port so everything was delayed.

We left BA late (I believe it was 3 hours), but still made it to Ushuaia on time.

We did Beagle Channel and Tierra Del Fuego excursion in Ushuaia. It was a good tour. Dress warm if you plan to sit outside on the catamaran. The weather was chilly, but it didn't rain which was good. The views were awesome. Saw plenty of sea lions.

Around Cape Horn starting at 630am the next morning. We had relatively calm seas around the Cape and through Drake Passage. I believe the captain said it was as good as it gets (15 foot seas). We were expecting much worse so we were pleasantly surprised.

Hit some fog the day we were supposed to arrive in Antarctica so I went to the gym to jump on the treadmill when suddenly "it" appeared. Snow capped mountains and just a beautiful scene! Made our way to Paradise Bay and Elephant Island. I don't think pictures will do this place justice. We saw penguins, whales, birds and sea lions. So remote, so peaceful, so beautiful! It was simply AMAZING! Fog set again and we left Elephant Island for the Falklands.

We made it to the Falklands and it was sunny when we got there, but then it turned to cold and rainy. Did the Patrick Watts tour to Volunteer Point which was incredible!!! Lost a bumper along the way, but it was an experience that I will never forget. The king penguins were simply beautiful. Could have stood there all day and watched them.

Other ports of call were Montevideo which we did on our own. Very walkable city. Highly suggest the meat market. What a fun experience. We did the ship tour in Puerto Madryn to Punta Tombo. Wow!!!! I have never seen so many penguins in my life in one place!!!

The crew on the Infinity were great! We had a Celebrity Suite which was amazing. So much space. Food on the ship was good. The main dining was really good as well as Blu, Quisine and SS United States. The buffet was okay, but we would have liked to have seen more of a variety.

The weather was good for the most part. Had a couple of choppy days at sea, but it could have been much worse. Weather went from hot to cold to hot. Really hard to pack for.

Did a ship tour of Buenos Aires and a tango show once we returned to kill some time since our flight didn't leave until 10:30pm. It was good. Got to the airport around 130pm and found out that we couldn't check in or check our bags until 3 hours prior to the flight time. The airport was hectic and not enough seating.

All in all a wonderful trip that I would highly recommend!!!!!

Publication Date: 02/23/13