Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by werri: Carnival need to learn from other cruise lines.

werri
Member Since 2013

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Spirit South Pacific Cruises

Carnival need to learn from other cruise lines.

Sail Date: December 2012
Destination: South Pacific
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)

My wife and I sailed on the Carnival Spirit on 27.12.12 to celebrate New Years Eve. We were in a group of 14. We had a good time overall as we made our own fun. Compared to other cruise ships we have sailed on carnival Spirit was the worst. We have sailed on 9 cruises with 4 different cruise lines.

I understand this is a family ship and we were sailing in school holidays and children will be children. But many of them were out of control and ran amok along the hallways, stairs, and dining room and in and out of the lifts. They were in the Casino and in the Bars and I noticed underage drinking. Knock and run and ringing staterooms all hours of the day. I should say night. As I said children will be children and I don't hold them totally responsible. We have children and grand children. They have to be supervised by their parents and the staff of Carnival spirit. So if you want to take your children away and leave them unsupervised and no security while you wander off in the More opposite direction, this cruise is for you.

Food and Beverage.
I would rate the food 3 out of 5. Quantity but not quality. In the bistro the food was very ordinary queuing up at different counters and then eating fatty and stodgy lukewarm food. The salad and fruit were good. The Empire dining room overall was very good but on a few occasions we did receive food that was not up to par. The dress code in the Empire dining room was not enforced. No one was encouraged or enforced to use the sanitizer in any of the food outlets.

Price of beer. $7.00 for a can or bottle. $8.00 for a draught. In the pool areas and the Serenity area (adults only) "some times" a can or bottle of beer was poured into a plastic cup resulting in flat beer. Cocktails and wine were reasonably priced.
No packages or happy hour for alcohol.
With the exception the bar staff need to smile and appear to be happy even if there not. More training needed.

Cleanliness.
There were no garbage bins on the ship. There was food, cups and bottles in the lifts, stairs and hallways.

Sports bar:
Mostly empty on this cruise and I know why. No Aussie sports. All the sports were American gridiron, baseball and basketball. When I first walked in I noticed there were 6 different beers on tap 4 on one side and 2 on the other side. Guest what the 4 taps together on one side never worked. On the other side only 1 of the 2 worked on most occasions.

Stateroom.
Our stateroom was a balcony of good size with plenty of cupboard space with good amenities.

Entertainment.
The hypnotist was great had everyone in the audience laughing. Dancers and singers were very good. The magician and comedian were very, very ordinary. Bingo, what a joke, $30.00 a ticket and the major prize $1000.00. There must have been 300 or more people in the lounge. You do the sums.

Gym.
Excellent except for the unsupervised children. Lucky no one was injured that I know of.

Serenity Deck.
Unless you got up at the crack of dawn you had no hope of getting a pod, hammock or a partly shaded lounge. Other lounge chairs in the full sun were hard to get at most times. People would leave their towels, shirts or some other apparel on the lounge to reserve the seat. The staff tried hard by placing stickers on the seats after about 40 minutes but unfortunately this did not work.

In my opinion if you are planning a cruise and there is another ship cruising in the same or similar direction as Carnival I would sail with the other ship. Less

Read more Carnival Spirit cruise reviews >>