Emerald Princess Cruise Review by NGOrlando: First time with Princess, this is at the bottom of our list

NGOrlando
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Emerald Princess Eastern Caribbean Cruises

First time with Princess, this is at the bottom of our list

Sail Date: November 2012

We got to the port around 12pm. Fort Lauderdale Port was very fast checking us in. We were inside Princess Emerald within 35 minutes. We had "anytime" dining so we headed to Michelangelo for dinner. We shared a table with 6 folks. Thank God my wife is very talkative because of the mindless "where are you originally from" questions were asked and I just don't like wasting my time in mundane conversations.

We got a "partially blocked" ocean view cabin. Really Princess??? What a disappointment. It was completely blocked by a tender boat. What a ripoff. I wasted all that $$$ to have a boat near my window. I should've gone with the inside cabin instead. Not only that, we had to keep the curtain closed or the light off because almost everyday, maintenance personnel would show up to check the darn tender multiple times a day. We could not even enjoy the light that penetrated thru the tender into our cabin. Princess staff, if you are reading this post, PLEASE schedule More maintenance at a different time (not when guests are inside the cabin). Guests are entitled to have privacy at all times. PLEASE, we need privacy!.

There are 2 "anytime" dining restaurants: Davinci and Michelangelo. The Maitre 'Ds and door greeters from both restaurants were different as night and day. Mirko and Larissa from Michelangelo were very accommodating and it was a delight going to dine there. The staff at the Davinci's Restaurant Door acted as if we were bothering them. Davinci was the DMV and Michelangelo was Apple when it came to customer service.

So let me say the ship is very clean and beautiful. The theater is small and the shows were not the best. This is our 8th cruise. The Lido Deck's two restaurants' Omelet station Staff for two days had an attitude. It felt like I was bothering them every time I ordered omelets. Well, I had enough with this contempt and feckless service. I had a talk with the supervisor in charge of the Omelet guys. On the following day, to my surprise, the staff was very welcoming and there were 9 in people in front of me where the two prior days it would've been less than 3. So the problem was fixed.

As a result, we will not cruise with Princess in the near future or ever again. The entertainment sucks for dancing. I missed Celebrity and Carnival. Even though Princess is owned by Carnival, Princess is geared to people, who after dinner, the only form of entertainment is no other than sleeping. IN OTHER WORDS, THIS CRUISE IS FOR THOSE INDIVIDUALS WHO JUST ENJOY EATING AND SLEEPING.

I would like to add that we will be cruising in Disney Wonder in February and with Carnival Cruise lines in March 2013. See you fellow cruisers at sea! Less

Read more Emerald Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Emerald Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Emerald Princess E616

Spacious closet, tiny bathtub, quiet location, view fully blocked by tender boat.

Island Tour

(5)
Aruba was beautiful. We went out and took a tour with a guy named Bill. Bill was very informative and overall a pleasant guy. We took a sightseeing tour of the Island. It costs us $20 each. It lasted 3 hours. Don't book with the cruise, it will cost you $55 per person.

In Bonaire, we also did our own excursion. My wife and I took a taxi that charged $25 per person. This guy took us all over the island. The best tour I've ever had. Our taxi driver communicated with us in 4 languages. Whenever I go back to Bonaire, I will give this guy a call. If you are interested, he goes by Banban Nicolaas (560-6287). Sorry, I don't have the area code. Banban (pet name) is very funny and will take you to beautiful places of the island where many tourists would not get the chance to see. Thank you Banban.
Read 238 Bonaire Reviews

Island tour

(5)
Dominica is a paradise. The tour was $30 per person with a guy named "Shyguy" (767-276-9447). Ya mon, you didn't seem shy to me! Please ask for this guy. The van is clean. Shyguy is also very charismatic. Shyguy took us to the Emerald waterfalls. We were the first group (8) there. I took a bunch of pictures. The Falls was ours for about 30 minutes. You can get inside. After 30 minutes, the people who paid the over priced excursion began to show up. So our private excursion was cheap and we got there way before the big crowd showed up...sweet.

Grenada was ok. Once again, we went to the port and found a tour for $25 per person, which took us around the island. We went to Annandale's Falls. There is a $2 to see the Falls. The waterfall is a small stream which you can see from the entrance and it is not worth paying $2. Just go to the house adjacent to the entrance, go up the stairs and you can see the entire waterfalls. Now the coconut water I paid for $2 was great. I had two.
Read 357 Grenada Reviews

They cooked for us at the beach. We had a great time.

Island Tour

(3)
In St Thomas, we paid $25 per person for the tour we took of the Island. The tour was ok. Next time, we will just walk to the shops and save some money.