Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by myturbo66: First time Celebrity Cruise

First time Celebrity Cruise

Sail Date: November 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

My wife and I sailed on the Summit on 11/24. We have been on several cruises before mostly on Holland. Our last Holland cruise was less than stellar so we decided to give Celebrity a shot.

Embarkation was pretty smooth. We flew in on the day of and got into port around 3 PM. It took around 45 minutes to get on the ship. Room was ready when we arrived so that was a plus. when we got to deck 6 Keith asked if he could take our luggage. I told him that I was good, but appreciated the offer. Service overall was quite good. We hung out in the room for a while until the safety drill. We hung out in the Rendezvous lounge and had a beverage. Kenneth is a great bartender. Just so happened to that was where we were meeting for the safety drill. Talk about dumb luck. When it came time for the drill it was pretty packed. I did find it odd that we didn't actually meet outside at our muster station. It was more convenient to be inside, but in case of a real emergency it would More have been nice to know exactly where to meet. Just my 2 cents.

Food

First night at dinner we went to Normandie. The food and service was good, but it was difficult to enjoy ourselves as there was a woman a couple table over who apparently had too much to drink. She was talking so loudly that you could hear over most of the restaurant. It got even worse when she sang happy birthday to her hubby 3X. We tried Normandie again later in the week and were glad we did. Much more enjoyable experience. If you like seafood I can fully recommend the turbo. It was quite good.

We only ate in the main dining room one night. Overall, it was the only shortfall of the whole trip. The food was fine but the service was pretty bad. I am a pretty mellow fellow, but I shouldn't have to ask 3X for a ginger ale. Plus it was extremely loud. we were sitting near the back where the windows are so that may have amplified the noise a bit. Didn't stay for dessert. Went to cafe al Baccio and had a cup of coffee and a brownie. Speaking of Cafe Al Baccio we went there quite a bit. The service and atmosphere were very good. we listened to Patrick the piano player before dinner a few nights. Was the highlight of the trip. If you get the chance to hear him play and sing you should check him out.

All of our other meals were in Blu. We really like it there. We were fortunate enough to bump into some folks there who shared our same interests. The only downside is the table are very close together.

As far as entertainment goes we skipped most of it. We did enjoy the piano player and we caught part of the comedian's act. We spent quite a bit of time in the room and hanging out on the deck.PS 6148

What can I say about the PS that hasn't been said before. It was awesome to have a nice place to stretch out. It's more of an apartment than a room. The pantry even had a full size fridge with ice maker in it. The deck is also really nice. The wrap around on the back of the ship is great. What even made it better was the service. Keith (butler) was amazing. He was always going above and beyond. Our room stewards Edy, and Ade also did an awesome job of keeping things clean and tidy. They really work hard.

In closing we really enjoyed our Celebrity cruise. We are going on a Holland cruise next month but it will probably be our last. We have been in the PS on Holland as well and it just didn't measure up. The stars really did line up on this cruise. The weather was great. We saw a double rainbow and a shooting star from our deck. Met some nice folks and just relaxed. It doesn't get much better than that. Here's to hoping our next Celebrity cruise will be as good. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>