Carnival Legend Cruise Review by tiditycor: Not the Greatest for Kids.

tiditycor
Member Since 2012

Entertainment Not Rated
Family & Children 2.0
Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Legend Western Caribbean Cruises

Not the Greatest for Kids.

Sail Date: November 2012
Embarkation: Tampa

Went on my first (and possibly last) Carnival cruise with my mother and 2 children (age 10 & 6). We chose this cruise because of the itinerary and the fact that the 3rd and 4th persons were only $20 + tax (=$270 per child) which could not be beat.

The rooms were rather large and I loved the sturdiness of the bunk bed -- the Disney bunk bed was flimsy compared to the think bunk on Carnival. I also loved the our time dining. We only waited a few minutes for a table each night.

The best thing about the cruise was the embarkation. I've never experienced such a fast and easy registration and embarkation before.

Although we didn't have any major concerns about our ship, it wasn't really geared to kids and here is why I wouldn't recommend the Carnival Legend if you are travelling with children:

** there were limited things for the children to do at the kids club and the water slide was so slow that it wasn't fun. There are only so many arts and crafts to More be done. My kids loved dodgeball but it only happened once.

** My children told me they got the impression that some of the kids club staff didn't want to be there because they weren't nice and they didn't seem to care. The next day one kids club staff was in front of me at the buffet and she was saying how much she was looking forward to her transfer out of the kids club next month

** there were only 3 kids movies playing in the room throughout the entire trip -- Tooth Fairy 2, Monte Carlo & Journey 2. There were approx 40 min of commercials between showings of the movie and the times weren't listed so you didn't know when the movie was set to start. There was also only 1 English kids station

** On Royal Carib and Disney, at dinner, if you ask for a PB&J sandwich without the Peanut Butter or the lobster without the sauce, they do it for you. The only thing we were ever told on Carnival was "sorry, we can't do that".

** The kids menu never changed -- not only the food items, but the menu itself with the mazes and activities. There are only 2 menu/activity books so after the second night they had done all the activities in the menu and were bored.

** the buffet was not open until 6pm at night. Some children (like mine) don't like burgers, pizza and chicken fingers every day but that is the only food available before the buffet opens..or you can sit and wait for service at the restaurant at 5:45, but as noted above, they won't accommodate any changes to the menu for the kids

** If you have to go through customs on the last day and you are near the end of the line, don't bother to go back to your room to get your luggage because the buffet is already closing when you leave Follies. If you miss breakfast, you will have hungry children until you can disembark.

** The shows include a child-appropriate comedy show in early evening. This is during the dinner hour when your kids, who are sick of pizza, want to eat real food at the buffet at 6pm. This same show turns into an adult-only show later in the evening.

Basically, this ship was geared for singles or couples, not for kids. They even had a mature singles mingle. If you have to bring your little ones with you and you want some peace and quiet, I'd recommend Disney or Royal Carib. Less

Read more Carnival Legend cruise reviews >>