Statendam Cruise Review by sandry: Statendam had problems

Statendam had problems

Sail Date: September 2012
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Embarkation: Vancouver

The price was super, the food was great, the fellow guest were friendly and interesting, the beds were comfy and the entertainment was superb. What more could one ask for? An air- conditioned room perhaps?????

The Statendam was having difficulties with its air-conditioning. We could not control it. Our room was way too hot while others were freezing. Some decks were highly air-conditioned while others were quite warm. We constantly were in contact with Guest Relations who tried their best by eventually sending in technicians to try to lower our room's temperature. We got it down to about 72/73 but that was still too warm for sleeping as so little air was circulating and the room was very stuffy. A circulating fan helped but it was just pushing around old hot air. We received a bottle of wine and some chocolate treats as well as a small monetary reimbursement.

We played bridge, attended various activities like cooking demos, movies, trivia etc. These were fun but there More didn't seem to be as much to do on this cruise as on others. Usually I am so busy attending activities that I don't have much time to relax on sea days. On this cruise I was looking for things to do.

We really enjoyed the open dining and met many wonderful people. With the ship being small its nice to recognize faces and be addressed by your name. Of course, the food is always great and bountiful on Holland American. I just had a couple of things that were not okay.I find they get too carried away with the names and descriptions of the foods. eg. skillet kissed mushrooms.

The entertainment was wonderful. The ship's singers were some of the best entertainers I have ever seen on HAL. I am told the classical quartet was amazing but I don't care for that style of music. I enjoyed the great variety of guest entertainers: singers, comedians, jugglers, banjo player etc. All were very professional and well received. The piano guy, James, was quite good as well. Guest speakers were also quite informative and well attended.

Of course, the dining room and cabin staff were super and did their best to fulfill our every need.

We only went on a couple of shore excursions. The two were very mediocre and I would not recommend the. We found the shore excursions to be very pricey and not really to our taste. More for those who are younger, very physically fit and adventurous.

Most of the cruise was great -just had the air-conditioning situation. The ship is getting older but is still a fine old lady. She is going in for a "face lift soon. Thank you Holland America. I hope to cruise with you again. Less

Read more Statendam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Statendam Review >>

Cabin review: Statendam 387

Cabin 387 Loved this location on Deck 6. Adjacent to walkway to Lower promenade deck so we can be outside in seconds. Near the stern elevators which is handy for dining. We can be up for meals and back down to our cabins to get any equipment we need for the day. Air conditioning not working on our cruise. very annoying.