Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by dalgirl

Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: IB

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
Quick, fun, life break
Just back from the Sky and since there is a lot of info both good and bad about this ship, I thought I would add to the confusion. Some background, this was our 10th NCL cruise and we just got our Platinum status completed before this 4 day Bahama cruise:

Our fellow passengers - all ages, but a lot of younger folks - 20's and 30's, many of them first time cruisers. But if you are in your 40's and 50's you will not be out of place - there is the usual "70s disco night." A lot of Floridians (quick, cheap cruising) and many from the surrounding states - including us. Not a lot of Europeans, Canadians. etc. Not a rowdy crowd, and with school in I saw only some really young children. Your experience will be different depending when you cruise.

The Sky: I would give the ship 3 stars. It is an older, smaller ship, with some rust here and there, but still in good shape. I noticed most of the trouble spots in our cabin - the bed was hard and the pillow flat. One of the drawers in the cabin was actually falling apart, the instructions for using the safe torn off the wall. The TV was old, there was no hair dryer in the room, etc. I at first thought the missing dryer was because it was an inside cabin, but no, I confirmed that it should have been in the drawer. I didn't find the main shop until the day before we disembarked - it was on the back of the ship behind the Casino, which I avoided as the ventilation on the ship in this area is terrible. You could smell strong smoke from the Casino in the Java cafe, the shop, and the few computer terminals they had. Again, stuff that the newer ships seemed to have taken care of, but not retro corrected on the older ships. Since our last cruise was on the Epic, I really enjoyed the ship feel - walking along the rails on the promenade, sitting on pool deck with a good book and the sea to gaze at. On this ship you really feel you are cruising.

The crew on any NCL ship is the best around, and it is the same on the Sky. After informing housekeeping about the shortcomings in our cabin, the dryer was delivered, the bed fitted with a foam pad, and additional fluffy pillows delivered. The room was kept spotless and the bath cleaned with fresh towels, and excellent towel animals - Patrick our steward is a towel animal genius! From housekeeping to the dining servers to the officers, the service was outstanding.

Food and drink: Lemonade! Strawberry! Mango!!! Yes, this ship had added beverages beyond the free tea, juices and coffee. Please NCL, put them on all your ships - it was a dream come true. I acted like I had never tasted lemonade before. Food on board was good, Le Bistro excellent, and the service in the dining room surprisingly fast by NCL dining room standards. No complaints - food is food people. But that lemonade....

Entertainment was as usual good to excellent, lot's of music, a comedian, games, etc. - this is NCL after all and they know how to through a party.

Inside cabin: We wanted to do an inside cabin on this short cruise because we have booked an inside for Hawaii in May and I wanted to make sure I could actually do it. The cabin was small, and quite frankly a little shabby (see above). But I just kept telling myself to give it a few days and see how it went. It went just fine. We got used to no windows... in fact, I got up during the "night" to use the facilities and DH cut on the light. "Why are you doing that?" I asked. Well because it was 7:30 in the morning and we were heading to the beach! You really lose reality in these cabins. One afternoon we kept dosing off watching TV and had to leave the room or we would have missed dinner. Then there was the rain shower we almost missed because, of course, we had no clue it was raining. I told DH now I know how 2 puppies in a crate feel. Cosey!

It did make us stay out of our cabin more: we sat outside more, sat in the atrium more, etc. so if you are thinking about saving money by going inside, and are not claustrophobic, I say try it.

Summary: So giving the extra star for a top notch crew, I say this turned into a 4 star cruise.

Publication Date: 09/26/12
Read the Bahamas ports review by dalgirl
More Norwegian Sky Cruise Reviews