Carnival Magic Cruise Review by thatsmyboat

Cabin Category: 8D
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
        13-15 5.0

Awesome cruise
We are a family of 3. My child was 15 for this cruise. This our 4th cruise, all with Carnival. I am a nut aout reading the reviews, especially with a new ship. I have been holding off on this review, but there seems to be a number of bad reviews, and only a few good reviews. When they are good, they are very good.

First off the embarkation at Galveston was quick, easy, and painless. We where on the ship with our small carry on stuff. I have a back pack with a laptop, which has to be on my person most of the time. We got on the ship hungry and proceeded to the Lido buffet. We where in our rooms shortly after 12. We picked deck 8 so we could catch a couple of stairs to the Lido deck, and 3 sets to get to deck 5. My child finds a group and hangs out immediately. I get in the casino pretty fast, and the wife usually lays out some and reads a book.

We had 4 other family members with us, so we met a lot for meals and entertainment. The entertainment was good, but you had to wait in line to get a good seat. The seating on the Lido was get there early, or wait till after noon for a good seat on that deck. There was seating above, if you where looking for sun. The food in the Lido buffett was not as good as before, but there are plenty of choices. The food, and service in the MDR where both good. Our waiter kept us entertained at all times. Newman was grat.There could be more pool space, but it is what it is. The casino will give complimentary drinks if you play enough, with enough money. This was great after day 2, as I had my card.

We did self assist for debarkation. When we woke, we got ready and went to the main dining room for breakfast. We had a nice meal with good service. After breakfast, our deck was called and we where off the ship really quick. Customs was slow, but this is not carnival's fault. I am looking at booking already for next summer, with some family, and friends. This is like one review early on. The ship is wonderful, clean, and easy to get around on. The service was always good, and the room was always clean. The food could use some improvement, but you can always get plenty to eat. The cruise is what you make of it. If you have a bad time, I would say it is your fault. I have never been dissatisfied on any of the 4 cruises in the last 5 years. Carnival is the fun ship. The rest is up to you. We could not port at Mohogany Bay due to the weather, so we headed for Belize, and received a refund for the excursion. We had the private island booked for Belize. It poured down rain a couple of times and the snorkling wasn't good, due to no reef. We came back early. We don't book an excursion at Cozumel as we have been there several times. We always go to Chankanaab State Park. Very good snorkling and good service. We had a great time on the new ship. Well done Carnival.

Publication Date: 09/24/12