Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by debbyrich

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by debbyrich
Freedom of the Seas
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+

Birthday Cruise for my Husband- August 12-19
Booked this cruise 3 weeks before sailing, just wanted to get away so...booked a great ship (as I have sailed on Freedom in'06)but... booked an inside cabin to cut cost (stateroom 6699). The trip was more about getting away and celebrating my hubs birthday than anything else, so I thought.

I normally book a balcony cabin and I wish I had done so with this one,the reason 7 nights in darkness, not knowing what time of day it is, space was an issue too but not as much. We were able to find a place for everything but my hubs is a diver and his dive bag takes up room I could have used for something else and now I know inside for only 3-4 nights, that's about as long as I can stand it and to get the beds apart, that's right apart at least that way you have an isle to walk instead of scooting down to the bottom of the bed every day to get out of it or risk stepping (yes stepping since there was no room to actually walk into it) right into the dresser OUCH!

I don't know how Sergio the room attendant made the bed honestly! The cruise itself was wonderful as usual, I try not to let things get me to worked up while on vacation I have learned that some people are gonna be themselves no matter where they are. Because of our late booking it through us into My Time Dining, this is one area I think RCCL on this ship at least still needs work.

There were (2) one for people with reservations (we had one) and one for those who did not, I didn't understand that then and still don't, it confused a lot of people, sometimes the line for people who did not have a reservation got in before we did. For me and my hubs second seating is just fine no more MTD.

We sailed with the new menu, GOOD but not great! But... it was still very enjoyable and we never went hungry. We did not do Chops or Portofinos, tried them once before saw no need to go back. Windjammer was a little disappointing but I still like it a lot, they have a system for made to order omelets, they take your order in writing, give you a ticket and when your order is ready they call your number, I liked this I feel it cut back on OMELETE ORDERING CONFUSION!! LOL

The ship, getting older but still looks great! The shows I thought were all fantastic from the Magician, the ice show to Once Upon a time, I always think RCCL does a great job with the entertainment. My favorite spot on the ship is Cafe Promenade, I just love that place, the atmosphere is good and the tasty little items they offer I think it is just a great spot to sit back and chill.

CoCo Cay was nice, did the beach & lunch thing got my CoCo Loco and chilled. St. Thomas my hubs had a dive so I stayed on board until his return and then got off to do a little shopping, I like St. Thomas so I always enjoy it when we go there. St. Maarten, we took a cab to MAHO beach!!!! that is the one where the planes fly really low over head and experience to try at least once,a little scary though..ok a lot SCARY!!! Just don't hold on to the fence and that's all I have to say about that. Had a great lunch at a local spot called Sunset I believe, portions were big, price moderate, food GOOD!

Bottom line I have cruised a few times so I avoid some of the money traps, I don't do the spa anymore unless there is a GOOD sale. I won't have fat sucked out, teeth whitened or pins stuck in my body but that is just it on a cruise YOU choose, cruise the way you want to join in or don't.Embarking & disembarking was smooth, on in about 15 min. and off in about the same time, not we are Diamonds so this did help, but I still think it went pretty quick for all.

I did do one thing differently on this trip I ate in the dining room for most of my breakfast's normally I go to the Windjammer but I mixed it up this time.

All in all we had a wonderful, relaxing time, our dinners were all at a table for two my hubs had a great birthday. We booked our next cruise, Freedom, October 20, 2013 while on board, the whole family is going to celebrate life, birthdays, anniversaries and just being a family having a great time on a cruise,this will be one for the books I am sure! Oh by the way I booked a Junior suite for this one (smile). CRUSIN' SO HAPPY IT SAILED INTO MY LIFE! And thank you RCCL you are still numero uno in my book.

Publication Date: 09/07/12