Thomson Dream Cruise Review by gillybean129: Roman Epic - Great value for money

Roman Epic - Great value for money

Sail Date: August 2012
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

Had a brilliant time on the Dream, here's my review!
Embarkation was hassle free, greeted and the process of photo taking and being given a card was good. At this point we just checked out our cabin then so as not to waste any sunshine sat outside on the lido deck until our cases arrived which wasn't long, though all three arrived at separate times.
Our cabin was spacious, (outside plus) lots of storage, quite comfy beds. We had an issue with the safe, it wasn't opening so reported to reception, not once but 4 times, each time they said someone would sort it out - they didn't so by Tuesday we gave up and asked then to refund us so they removed from our account. The bathroom wasn't particularly clean, dusty in places and mouldy and the bath was very discoloured but it didn't spoil my holiday, I just hope they upgrade come November when the ship goes in for refit. Our cabin attendant was attentive and seemed to know just when we had left the cabin.
I loved the Orion More restaurant, the staff in there are amazing, they are so hard working and entertaining, be sure not to miss baked Alaska parade on the Friday night, brilliant! Food fantastic, why anyone would choose lido buffet of an evening over this I don't know. We ate the rest of the time in Sirens which offered loads of choice with excellent quality food. Everywhere was kept pristinely clean, you often saw staff polishing the brasses on the stairs and everyone had a smile and a hello. The lifts were quick and should have held 10 people, that is 10 people unless they are eating lots on a cruise, let's just leave it at that shall we!!
The bar staff are equally as good and are very prompt with your drinks. The range of drinks was fantastic and there was so much choice, well worth the £49 to upgrade to all inclusive!
The public areas are lovely, not too tired as some have said but I understand this is being upgraded anyway.
The day at sea was a joke trying to find a sunbed, we ended up laying on the raised wooded seating that went round the pool, annoying as of course as there were plenty of unoccupied ones with towels on them, the 45 minute rule of moving them just didn't happen. I think we managed to get sunbeds maybe 4/7 days. Just not enough to go around.
Entertainment was brilliant and the team work so very hard. The British act wasn't that good I thought. Always something for everyone to do and I can honestly say I didn't miss TV or the beloved internet once, in fact it was good to completely get away from everything for a week.
Loved sail away each night and waving to other cruise liners!
Dream vibe band were brilliant, they did the best song covers I'd heard in ages, all credit to them.

Lots of jokes were made about the captains speech each day, even the entertainment team made comments that you only have to listen for a week, we get 3 months of it! However everything stopped when he announced our diversion to Barcelona due to bad weather, that night the 'Proud White Lady' as the dream is known endured hurricane force 8 winds and boy did we feel it! Not a nice experience and most people never slept despite their cocktails, the following morning I noticed her being painted, maybe it really was pebbles I kept hearing pounding the starboard in the night?
Trips -- We only did one via Thomsons the Rome in a day which was a packed day, we were all exhausted though as it was 34 degrees. Sicily was lovely, and Naples charismatic but I did feel a little vulnerable at times but loved it nonetheless. I was pleasantly surprised at how cheap things were. The same could not be said for Calvi, nice but playground for the rich, extortionate. The unexpected stop at Barcelona was a plus as far as we were concerned and definitely would like to go back there.
Our 16 year old daughter had a fabulous time, she made lots of new friends around her age and they had great time.
All in all we shall be hoping to go again, as we were very impressed and packed so much into our week. I have to say it's the all down staff on this ship that make it the best place to be, credit to them all! Special thanks to Peter and Franco in the Orion and Alfonso the pancake man!! Less

Read more Thomson Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Thomson Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Thomson Dream 5146

Quiet room, nice big window, very spacious near to one of the lifts.