Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by familyofour

Destination: Bermuda
Public Rooms 5+
        16+ 2.0

Summit Aqua 9133 & 9137 Aug 19 - 26
We stayed in 9133 & 9137 Aqua class in Summit sailing out of Cape Liberty and had no problems with the bathrooms or noise which seems to be the biggest concern of future travelers. But there were several surprises, among them:

1. No, you can NOT get unlimited water in Aqua class. Two bottles only per day.

2. No, you can Not order from the main dining room menu while in Blu.

3. Our GPS had a hard time finding Cape Liberty due to new construction and few signs posted.

4. Be careful purchasing those boxed watch sets during the feeding frenzy sale of "Black Friday" on the ship. Once home I found out that the oversized band can NOT be sized, therefore can NOT be worn. We have to send it back to Florida on our own dime and who knows if it will be repaired or replaced. Not the kind of thank you I wanted to give to the person who took care of our cat!

Our bathrooms were both clean and there was NO mold or dirt, etc in the shower although I detected an undesirable faint smell in the 9133 bathroom. The shower was very nice in both with glass doors but it was tough NOT to get the floor wet! Overall we heard very little noise, probably less than a hotel room and it was not bothersome at all. The most noise we heard was upon arriving in Bermuda...coming from below us but we did not mind in the least and it was only a short time. There was a small amount of fuel smell rarely, and it was nearer the elevator, not in our room. We could not smell smoke in or near our room and we were port side which is the smoking side. There is no smoking allowed in rooms or balconies of course and no one seemed to break that rule.

The service was EXCELLENT, pretty much every where from the buffet to blu. They have got that part down....especially in Blu although we had a great DR server as well. Service was slightly lacking from my room stewart although they did a good job of cleaning.

They do offer mimosas, oj or champagne when you arrive which is very nice. In port, the cold towels (literally with ice on them, what a treat!) and water were nice after a long day at the beach in bermuda. The extra touches were noticed and appreciated by us as we have sailed RC and did not get that. Beach towels provided for use were a plus also.

We really did not have any major complaints except that you get only the two bottles of water in your room and not more as others have said on the boards if requested. So, I did not bring my usual case of waters in anticipation of getting extra. Our stateroom attendant was reluctant to remove items in the fridge too. But I insisted and he cleared off or moved the items on two shelves. He also forgot the Celebrity Daily once or twice which made it tough to find fun things to do and since we did not get it the night before my DH missed an early morning fitness class he would have loved.

Check on your OBC too if you are to get one. Mine were short what I was expecting and went to Customer relations. They said it would be fixed next day and it was. Save yourself the trouble and don't even look until day two or three when things get settled. The line the first day for customer relations was long.

Don't go CLIFF diving or let your children do this at Horseshoe Bay. Thats my number one tip. A young tourist was SERIOUSLY injured during our stay. We are talking about ruining your life not just your cruise, so please be aware....Also the waves are rough at Elbow beach. Scraped knees from the sand and being tossed around by the surf when we went. Lots of fun though and worth it. And do NOT walk barefoot on the grass at horseshoe bay, my daughter got a thorn in her foot.

Entertainment for teens was not great. My advice is to tell your kids to make your own fun OR hopefully, celebrity reads the multiple reviews that evidence the lack of fun for teens and twenty somethings. Hopefully your kids will go to the events and more kids will join in. I think it was more of kids not showing for events (after they determined it wasn't going to be fun) as the counselors were there...One example was one of the ship's dance crew volunteered to teach a teen dance class which was very nice. My daughter showed and no one else. He said it was a struggle every week to get kids to do this. So my younger DD opted to go in the teen club and ask the kids just hanging in there to come....they did and they had a good time. Since there were alot of boys in the group, he geared it toward warm up and excercise which they all liked. So I think that if they motivate each other, they could have fun. But they must PARTICIPATE.....and make your own fun. And Celebrity should have the music playing that the kids like at teen dances and events.

Another example of less than stellar entertainment for the young set: my 20+ DD would wait until midnight which was the designated time for the 18 to 30 group dance. She would get there and find they were playing 40s music with retirees slow dancing. She was not happy about having to wait all night for that!

We enjoyed the Persian gardens to just relax.

We did eat in blu and really liked the breakfast. One night we ate in the Dining Room as there are many more choices there. We enjoyed the T-Bone and clam pasta. We had Joe Konrad and Moostapha and they were a spectacular team. We found the food in the DR to be as good as the food in blu for dinner. We did enjoy the quieter atmosphere in blu but the food quality was pretty close.

NO, they do NOT let you order from the DR menu in BLU as previously posted from other CC memebers. You get only the BLU menu. So, this was another surprise for us when we asked and they refused. Both menus are posted outside in the halls for the DR and Blu so you could choose upon arrival and do anytime dining if you decided you like that menu better.

The serve team in Blu was great, John Sebastin, (Trolly) John, Moostaffa and Dexter were all personable but non-intrusive. Mostly every night, Nicholas came to our table to ask if everything was good and the servers did as well. I am sure I forgot all the names but they were all great.

I had a small problem and Guest Relations Manager, Pearline took excellent care of it. The medic gave out free large bandaids and we could purchase small amounts of anti-biotic cream for the scraps from Elbow Beach. We were told room stewards had regular sized bandaids.

Overall, a very nice cruise.

Publication Date: 08/30/12