Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by Kreebeech: Fabulous Service

Fabulous Service

Sail Date: August 2012
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Other

ALLERGIES/SPECIAL DIETS:My husband has a severe egg allergy. Usually, even in five star restaurants, he is handed a menu and told what item he can have BUT ...On Celebrity they gave him the next night's menu each evening and asked what HE WANTED so they could make it without egg! Even the up charge restaurants did this for him. I have never seen him so happy. This may not sound like much but trust me to an allergy sufferer it means the world to have such choice and respect offered to you. We met others who were on special diets or had allergies and they too could not believe how excellent the service was!

SERVICE: We were made comfortable and welcome from the moment we stepped aboard. The service was amazing and lots of little touches (like ice cold facecloths) really added up to an exceptional experience. As spoiled "Yuppies" from NYC we were a bit worried about food and service but we were really pleasantly surprised!

ROOMS: Our room was kept very clean and More nice canapes and fresh fruit were provided daily. I highly suggest a balcony room as it is worth every penny. It is true that the pool area can get very crowded so it is nice to have your own little oasis to relax outside.

SHIP: Nice decor, mostly tasteful and not over the top like other cruise lines. The ship was a perfect size and only the pool area felt over crowded. During the day, we would sit on the Sun Deck (11) and found the waiter service and crowd better there than right near the pool. Also steel drum player in the Mast Bar is a great late afternoon treat. The Coffee Bar is a great place to unwind and relax. We loved the Martini Bar, the casino , and Revelation Lounge in the evening.

POOL: Celebrity really isn't a Disney or NCL style cruise and that is what I like about it. If you have young kids I wouldn't recommend Celebrity. Ages 12 and up should really enjoy it. I sailed Celebrity several times as a teenager and always had a great time. BUT, Celebrity should create a children's pool on the Summit for the sanity of adults and kids!

FOOD: I loved the Qsine and Normandie restaurants. Qsine is one of the most original ideas I have seen in Tapas style dining. The style was outdone by the quality and taste of the food. Also, Bistro on 5 had yummy crepes. The dining room service was wonderful. After talking to others who did the "My Time" dining...I highly recommend the set dining time. Since we had the same waiters each night they had our Sparkling Water and after dinner cappuccinos ready for us each night without even having to ask. The sommelier knew to come to us each evening and kept our glasses full (see drinks package note) during the meal. My Time diners didn't get that level of service as the waiters could not possibly know their requests ahead of time.
The dining room food was very good. Please remember you are on a cruise ship! It is far better than what I had on Royal Caribbean and in many restaurants on land. I didn't have one bad meal. The buffet has a great selection of mediocre food. Also, it brings out the worst in guests. Try to go at 10 and 2 when it is quieter. Aqua Spa Buffet near spa has a nice selection of salads and smoothies.

BEVERAGES: We got the Premium Drinks Package..trust me you do not have to be a binge drinker to break even LOL. All our liter bottles of Evian and San Pellegrino , smoothies, Vitamin Waters, espressos, cappuccinos, wine, beer, and yes some DELICIOUS martinis were more than paid for with the package fee! Also try the specialty sodas they make at the bars.

PORT OF CALL: Bermuda has always my favorite island. Clean safe and filled with breathtaking beauty. We did two snorkeling tours through FantaSea tours. I highly recommend their Shipwreck Snorkel tour. We took a taxi to Horseshoe Beach. This beach is a "must do". Taxis are expensive but we always found shipmates to split a fare with. We also played PORT ROYAL GOLF COURSE. If you play golf please go here..it is such a beautiful scenic course. Get an early morning tee time in August..or you start cooking out there by noon. Have something refreshing and take in the stunning views at the clubhouse when you're done.

We loved Celebrity and continue to love Bermuda. If you take this cruise, you will not be disappointed! Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit

8164 Quiet Spot in Aft of ship. Nice balcony but window washer scaffold was latched next to it. Did not obstruct view, but it might annoy some people. Also, it was not used the entire time we were on the ship.