Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by NJPrisonCop

Norwegian Gem
Norwegian Gem
Member Name: NJPrisonCop
Cruise Date: August 2012
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: IF
See More About: Norwegian Gem Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+
        3-6 5+

Ship Facts: Norwegian Gem Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Gem Deck Plans
Gem August 2012
FOOD: Amazing. Steak was great. Only off thing we ate was the fish and chips in the 24 hour restaurant. (Fish was mush).

ENTERTAINMENT: The Norwegian Singers and Dancers put on a great show. My 4 year old daughter and I went to the 70s and 80s show and sat front row. She got a great kick out of all the performers waving to her.

Service: Since the inception of Freestyle Cruising, I must say service has dropped off a bit. Servers had to be reminded two or three times for things you had requested (drinks/condiments/etc). However the freedom to come and go as you please does make up for it.

Staff: This is one of the better cruise staffs I have been in contact with. Ken (CD) and Joel (ACD) did an awesome job. Ken did a great rendition of Beyonce's PUT A RING ON IT. Those tights on a large man will be forever burned into my nightmares. It was hilarious though.

Ports: Port Canaveral.... it is what it is. Went to cocoa beach and swam. Then hit RonJon's. Nassau: The more I visit Nassau, the less I like it. Great Stirrup Cay: They did a good job refurnishing the buffet area and beach/amenities. Always a good time.

Stateroom: We hasd staff hallways and closets on two sides of our room. The other two sides were public hallways. Lots of noise. We were going to knock on the neighbors door to ask them to refrain from slamming the door, but we then realized it was the staff going to their quarters over and over again.

Bingo: OK this might sound weird to mention, but knowing how much money they take in TWICE a day EVERY day compared to what they actually give out is a sham. $60 to play the big pack in the middle of the week and $80 at the end of the week, and they are paying out $175 / $200. What a sham.

Casino: Good selection of slots, table games, etc.

Cigar Lounge: A place to go relax and burn one. This was a great place to go sit and chill out.

Bars: Servers usually close by for drinks. Soda package is something we will definitely do again. Definitely saved money by getting this. I believe it was $35 or something in that neighborhood.

Ship: Well decorated, kept clean for the most part. My daughter caught some glass on her foot on two occasions. Wasn't charged for the trip to the medical department. Cruise director listened to my concern, and in turn sent us to the Italian Restaurant on him. Well handled for the most part.

Specialty Restaurant: Went to Tepanyaki. This hibachi style japanese restaurant was AMAZING. Scheduled the 6pm seating. Went and asked a question at 540 and was sat at the 530 seating. Early seating got a free bottle of wine also. Highly recommended and worth every cent of the $25 cover per person.

Publication Date: 08/18/12