River Beatrice Cruise Review by Boychickadee

Cruise Date: July 2012
Embarkation: Budapest
Destination: Europe River
Cabin Category: S
See More About: River Beatrice Cruise Reviews | Europe River Cruise Reviews | Uniworld Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: River Beatrice Review (by Cruise Critic!) | River Beatrice Deck Plans
Disappointing
My wife and I took a Uniworld Rhine Cruise on the "River Beatrice" on 15-22 July 2012, from Budapest to Passau. We booked a suite, no. 407, for which we paid £3,299.00 each, less a small discount from our cruise agent.

We have the following comments:-

The staff were exceptionally attentive and friendly. They can justly be congratulated for their service. It is a pity that Uniworld do not pay them sufficiently to avoid the necessity or expectation of gratuities. Most six-star Ocean Cruises state that their staff do not expect or accept gratuities as they are fully paid for their work and are happy to conduct it without any further payment from their guests. The price Uniworld charges per day is as much or more than a luxury six-star fully inclusive cruise by most American cruise lines, such as Seabourne, Regent Seven Seas, Silversea etc., for a comparable status suite, which should be an example to Uniworld.

The tours were stated as inclusive for the "featured excursion", but the "irresistible optional excursions" were chargeable. This was not evident in the Titan Elegant River Cruises brochure, but was only apparent when our 2012 Cruise Companion and Shore Excursions booklet was received with our departure package.

We booked a suite on the top "Rhine" deck, the most expensive, apart from the one Owners Suite. We therefore expected to enjoy excellent views whilst sailing and when at the ports. However, at most of the stops we were awakened to darkness, being overshadowed by another ship docked and tethered to us!

This was shocking and a complete disappointment as it obliterated our views, gave us no privacy -- the windows of the adjacent ships looking directly into ours -- and any benefit of paying for a suite on the top deck was completely spoiled.

Nowhere in the Cruise brochure, Cruise Companion or the itinerary details, shows any reference to this double docking and I consider this a clear misrepresentation by omission. All cruises I have been on show whether the ship is docked or anchored, with use of tenders for those ports. I would formally request a Notice of Complaint to the Uniworld Company for not stating in any of their descriptions, the possibility of double-docking and the consequent loss of privacy and views. the cruise was severely spoilt by this unexplained restriction of view from our "French Balcony".

Had I been aware of this procedure I would not have chosen this particular cruise. Both my wife and I are extremely disappointed with the cruise and would not recommend Titan or Uniworld unless the possible situations will be fully explained in future publications.

Publication Date: 07/28/12