Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by calgal5: Great itinerary -Celebrity could do better

calgal5

Public Rooms Not Rated
Service Not Rated
Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Celebrity Equinox Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

Great itinerary -Celebrity could do better

Sail Date: July 2012
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

Beautiful ship, awesome ports! Embarkation was smooth, had lunch at Bistro on 5. Arrived at our stateroom to find it filthy. There was dirt, pieces of old food all over the table and sofa. I cleaned it up myself with an alcohol wipe from my purse. Then I checked the bed-the sheets were dirty. At this point I became alarmed. I called the room steward and told him that he needed to come and change all of the bed linens. To his credit, while we were at dinner, he cleaned the entire room. We also did not know we were supposed to get beach towels delivered to our room. Our party had two staterooms, same steward, neither received beach towels.
The service and food in the MDR were good to very good. We had select dining, but still got to know several of the waitstaff over the course of the cruise. We had one dinner at Tuscan Grill which was great.
Kids Club was ok-kids enjoyed it.
The shows were mediocre, but we still enjoyed them.
The wine service and bar service were More outstanding.
We had issues in both Athens and Istanbul (both ports we were doing on our own) getting situated when leaving the cruise terminal. We have previously done a Disney cruise, and at every port there were several cruise staff just helping people get pointed in the right direction coming off the boat. There was no help from Celebrity.
I will review ports separately, but I will say we encountered a very rude bus driver on one excursion, and when trying to give feedback to Celebrity, we received a less than satisfactory response.
Overall, the cruise was wonderful because the ports were wonderful and the ship is beautiful. I do think, however, that there were enough significant service gaps to make me hesitate to cruise Celebrity again. Less

Read more Celebrity Equinox cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Equinox Review >>

Acropolis was cool, otherwise city not that exciting. We did hop on hop off bus to Acropolis. I would be very careful with this, though. They advertise every 30 minute buses but can run every45, and we witnessed our bus filling up and leaving people behind on the return. This is probably a port best done with private tour

Very easy to DIY. Quite confusing initially coming out of the terminal and Celebrity was useless. Once we had our bearings took the tram to see the main sights.
Read 262 Istanbul Reviews

Private tour with Ekol travel. Ephesus was amazing, but hot. Bring water!
Read 362 Kusadasi Reviews

Elia Beach

(3)
Elia beach was absolute paradise. Unfortunately the excursion did not allow enough time at he beach and the bus driver was rude.

Private tour of Amalfi Coast with Rome in Limo. Spectacular!
Read 652 Naples Reviews

Stayed at Albergo del Senato. Beautiful hotel and city. Easy to DIY. Buy Vatican tickets in advance online.

Oia Wine Tasting

(4)
Beautiful island. Would have liked more time in Oia.