Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by 2PATBOUNCE: Beautiful Ship, but some serious issues

2PATBOUNCE
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Celebrity Equinox Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

Beautiful Ship, but some serious issues

Sail Date: July 2012
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

This ship is super when it comes to disability access. Last summer we cruised to Alaska, the inside passage, on the Celebrity Infinity. Access on the ship was sketchy at best - doors were not automatic, the suite I booked was not accessible (although quite beautiful), and disembarking and re-boarding were a nightmare. On this ship, all doors are fully automatic, accessible bathrooms are in each of the restrooms, and staff are very helpful during dining, or at the buffet.
But beware! The documentation officer will demand that you surrender your passports for the duration of the cruise. When my travel companion and I refused to do so, she tried to intimidate us into complying. She said that no one else even questioned that, and we were the only ones. She said if we did not surrender the passports no one could leave the ship. We said we would present them ourselves to immigration authorities, and she told us we had to be there at 6:30 every morning during the cruise. We More dutifully went to the appointed place at 6:30 on the first morning of our cruise, and NO ONE was there. One person arrived at about 6:45 and told us she handled passports for the crew, and that we weren't supposed to be there until 7. The documentation officer arrived at about 7, and the port authority persons arrived shortly thereafter. We were informed that immigration would not be coming aboard until 3:30, and we would have to present our passports then. We could leave the ship, however.
Needless to say, immigration did not come at 3:30 - we had cut short our visit to Athens (my birthday!!) so that we could get back on time. All passports had to be delivered to the immigration office in Athens, it seems. We finally agreed to surrender them for 2 hours. We did get them back, but by that time, we were so angry about the whole process that we cancelled our scheduled tour in Turkey, losing our deposit. We were very close to just leaving the ship and making our way back to Rome.
Eventually the documentation officer apologized for the inconvenience. It seems that passports would only be required for one more 2 hour period after all.
We decided to stay on board and try to enjoy our cruise.The staff in the dining room were wonderful, as was our butler and the persons who took care of our room.

I came with a group of casino players, so I spent a lot of time in the casino. The staff there were outstanding. The only problem with the casino was the slot machines. They were so tight that it was unbelievable. In the entire ten days, there was one jackpot of $1000, and that was it! The high limit machines chewed up hundred dollar bills with NO HITS! Not even a couple of coins back! So I played penny slots for fun, and spent most of my time at the table games.

That's it for the complaints.

Th cruise itself was wonderful. I loved the ship, enjoyed the adults only pool, even though there were kids in it and in the area around it -- no real security or enforcement.

We tried two of the specialty restaurant, the Tuscan Grill, and Murano, and they were superb. The food was phenomenal, and the service outstanding. Seats were comfortable, and they took care of my mobility scooter.

The spa was also outstanding. I signed up for one of their discount package and thoroughly enjoyed it.

On balance, I will sail with Celebrity again, but I will not surrender my passport, and I believe that the cruise line should tell you up front if that will be necessary or expected. I for one do not wish to be stranded in a different country without my passport. Less

Read more Celebrity Equinox cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Equinox Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Equinox Sky Suite Continental Deck (6) 2134

We were in Accessible Sky Suite 2134. The shower was a problem. It was a roll-in shower, and the water spread all over the bathroom floor, presenting a real hazard for me. I used towels to cover and soak up the wet spots. The other huge problem with the room was the noise from above. We were on the 12th floor. There is no 13th floor. Above us was the Ocean View dining area, and we could hear every footstep during the day, and through the night until 2 am, then again starting at 6 am. We reported the noise to the guest relations people. After 5 days they offered us another room to use when the noise became bad. It was a very small room, and not accessible, so we never used it. ALL of the Accessible Sky Suites were underneath that dining room.

The Plaka Walking Tour

(4)
He drove around the city, pointing things out, then dropped us off at the Plaka for independent shopping and lunch while he took a group to the Acropolis. The bus was clean and pleasant, the tour guide quite knowledgeable.

Private Tour

(5.5)
Our driver was Vincenzo ("Don't call me Vinnie!"), and we shared with two other couples, and the mother and aunt of one of our companions. The van was a brand new Mercedes Diesel with ample seating room, and room for my scooter in the back cargo area. We drove up the coast rode first, so as to avoid some of the beach-goers later on. Still it was crowded, but the views were so beautiful we didn't mind, and Vincenzo was great. We got to Sorrento, and were on our own for more than an hour, to wander, have a coffee, shop, whatever.... Sorrento is so beautiful. Lots of tourists, but a classy group! Next was Positano. I felt I had come home when I arrived there. My family is Italian and my grandparents were from Positano. Again, we were left on our own, with a designated meeting place and time. Our guide brought us to a restaurant at the top of the mountain for lunch. The food was very good, and the view also. Next came Pompeii. Don't believe the guides who tell you it is accessible. It only goes so far, and then it is impossible for a wheelchair or a scooter. But we made it to the top of the hill on our own. When we wanted to know about something, we sort of listened in on a tour. We chose to do our own thing rather than concentrate on reading or listening to something or someone. The ruins are fascinating.

City Tour

(5.5)
We drove a jeep in a convoy up to the mountains on the northern end of the island. For a very modest price we had an incredible experience! And stops along the way made it comfortable for all. The staff were a lot of fun, and had activities for the kids that were on the trip. They were also extremely professional, and very safety conscious. They made sure each driver knew exactly what to do. We went off-road almost the whole time. It was amazing! Lunch was in a little villa on the Aegean Sea. Food was all from the farm! We were gone the entire day for E40 per person, plus E10 for lunch! Carolien, who ran things with her partner, took pictures all day, and at the end of the day made CDs for anyone who wanted one (small charge extra) capturing the best moments of the day, and being sure each jeep and each person was in the pictures. This is the biggest bargain going, and I recommend it heartily. All ages could enjoy this adventure.

They said it couldn't be done, but we did it! Took my mobility scooter up the mountain via the cable car! The staff said that the streets of the town were not good for a scooter, but we did it anyway and had a blast. The big problem was waiting on endless lines for the cable car, both going up and going down. There were two other options for the more able-bodied, walking the steep 600 steps up, or riding a donkey up. The walkers and the donkeys shared the pathway. And the donkeys being herded down the mountain ALSO shared the same path! All in all, I think we made a wise choice. The streets were indeed difficulty - cobblestone and steep in places. But we did it. We left the main tourist shopping area and went to the other side of the mountain, where the view was unbelievable. We found a little taverna, SIMOS, and ate in the outdoor area, where there was a wonderful tree growing from the side, and spreading its canopy over us for shade. The view was awesome, and there was a breeze! Wonderful.