Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by 2PATBOUNCE

Cruise Date: July 2012
Embarkation: other
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: S1
See More About: Celebrity Equinox Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Dining 5+

Beautiful Ship, but some serious issues
This ship is super when it comes to disability access. Last summer we cruised to Alaska, the inside passage, on the Celebrity Infinity. Access on the ship was sketchy at best - doors were not automatic, the suite I booked was not accessible (although quite beautiful), and disembarking and re-boarding were a nightmare. On this ship, all doors are fully automatic, accessible bathrooms are in each of the restrooms, and staff are very helpful during dining, or at the buffet.

But beware! The documentation officer will demand that you surrender your passports for the duration of the cruise. When my travel companion and I refused to do so, she tried to intimidate us into complying. She said that no one else even questioned that, and we were the only ones. She said if we did not surrender the passports no one could leave the ship. We said we would present them ourselves to immigration authorities, and she told us we had to be there at 6:30 every morning during the cruise. We dutifully went to the appointed place at 6:30 on the first morning of our cruise, and NO ONE was there. One person arrived at about 6:45 and told us she handled passports for the crew, and that we weren't supposed to be there until 7. The documentation officer arrived at about 7, and the port authority persons arrived shortly thereafter. We were informed that immigration would not be coming aboard until 3:30, and we would have to present our passports then. We could leave the ship, however.

Needless to say, immigration did not come at 3:30 - we had cut short our visit to Athens (my birthday!!) so that we could get back on time. All passports had to be delivered to the immigration office in Athens, it seems. We finally agreed to surrender them for 2 hours. We did get them back, but by that time, we were so angry about the whole process that we cancelled our scheduled tour in Turkey, losing our deposit. We were very close to just leaving the ship and making our way back to Rome.

Eventually the documentation officer apologized for the inconvenience. It seems that passports would only be required for one more 2 hour period after all.

We decided to stay on board and try to enjoy our cruise.

The staff in the dining room were wonderful, as was our butler and the persons who took care of our room.

I came with a group of casino players, so I spent a lot of time in the casino. The staff there were outstanding. The only problem with the casino was the slot machines. They were so tight that it was unbelievable. In the entire ten days, there was one jackpot of $1000, and that was it! The high limit machines chewed up hundred dollar bills with NO HITS! Not even a couple of coins back! So I played penny slots for fun, and spent most of my time at the table games.

That's it for the complaints.

Th cruise itself was wonderful. I loved the ship, enjoyed the adults only pool, even though there were kids in it and in the area around it -- no real security or enforcement.

We tried two of the specialty restaurant, the Tuscan Grill, and Murano, and they were superb. The food was phenomenal, and the service outstanding. Seats were comfortable, and they took care of my mobility scooter.

The spa was also outstanding. I signed up for one of their discount package and thoroughly enjoyed it.

On balance, I will sail with Celebrity again, but I will not surrender my passport, and I believe that the cruise line should tell you up front if that will be necessary or expected. I for one do not wish to be stranded in a different country without my passport.

Publication Date: 07/29/12