“Triumph Review”

aprilcruisers
Member Since 2005
1 Helpful Vote
Overall Member Rating
This is our 4th cruise, first with Carnival. We sailed the Triumph out of Galveston. Since we live in TX, this was an easy 4 hour drive the day of sail away. We arrived at the port at 12:45, and 20 minutes later we were onboard! DH dropped me and the luggage off at the pier. Porters are quick, so be ready! Then he went across the street to Galveston Park N Cruise. We did the indoor parking, and it was $45 for 5 day cruise. Met up with DH and we went to the VIP embarkation. We had an Ocean Suite, so embarkation was a breeze. We were onboard in no time! We went to our room 7270 to see if it was ready. It was not, but we dropped our carryon off, and went to explore. We booked the cruise 2 weeks prior, so we got a room across from the elevator. I was a little worried about noise, but it wasn't an issue. We asked our steward to empty the fridge, and he did no problem. He kept us in plenty of ice, but there is an ice machine further down the hall to get your own. Our room was plenty big enough for the two of us, with lots of storage. We didn't come close to using all of it. The balcony was long, but not very deep. We had 3 chairs and a small table. We asked our steward if we could get a lounger, but he said no. One of the chairs reclined back, so we made do. I got a soda package for $36.98. They had regular Dr. Pepper, but not diet. So I drank Diet Coke. When we got to Progresso, we didn't have any excursions, but I had read on TripAdvisor about a restaurant. Sounded good to us, so off we went. The ride into town was on an un-airconditioned bus. Not too bad as long as we were moving. After he dropped us off, we headed down the Malcon (strip?) The restaurant is called La Casa del Malcon. Loved this place!! We walked past all the other places. Saw Buddy's. That was our second choice and so glad we didn't stop there. Not too impressed with the looks of it. Anyway, we kept going. It's a bit of a walk, but not too bad. Three quarters of a mile maybe. It's just past the police station. We were not disappointed. We were the only ones there and they made us feel welcome. They didn't speak English, but we made do with our limited Tex-Mex. The menu is in Spanish and English so no problems. My husband loved his shrimp, and I got fried fish. The whole fish! Not what I expected, but it was fine. The dessert was scrumptious! Nice views, great service, pleasant atmosphere. What more could you want! Let me begin this part telling our thoughts on the ship. This ship was very confusing to us. We got turned around and had to backtrack several times. Could be just us though.... The main lobby area is not very big and the shops are small and crowded. The buffet was always crowded no matter what time we went. Since we had late dining, around 4 or 5 we would want a snack. Guess what? The buffet is closed down. No quick eating unless you want pizza or burger. Room service menu was very limited, which I was disappointed in. So we stocked up on snack items to keep for later in the afternoons. The dining room was very nice and our tablemates were nice. Our waiters would bring our meals in a timely manner. Kept our water/tea glasses full. If you wanted something from the bar, that took a bit. Once they forgot me all together. Yikes! I know food is subjective, but we weren't blown away by the food. Nothing special. We've been on Princess and Royal Caribbean (we're not loyal), and we liked the food options on the other lines much better. We didn't participate in any activities on board. We did go to the Punchline show. Lots of folks, so go early if you want a seat. We didn't see any other shows this trip either. Just not our thing. Our room was quite large, and we enjoyed it very much. We both thought the bed was very comfortable. My husband asked our steward for extra pillows and received them, no problem. We spent a majority of our time on our balcony. We both like the sounds and sights from there. Our neighbors did play music out there the first sea day, and he enjoyed singing along. We got a kick out of his off-key renditions.
Carnival Triumph Cruises to the Western Caribbean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Ocean Suite

OS7270
Ocean suite 7270 The room was quite large, especially for 2. Two closets, dressing area, lots of drawer space. The bathroom had a jetted tub/shower, one sink, some storage. The balcony was long, but not very deep. We had three chairs and a small table. The bed was king, and very comfortable. We asked for extra pillows, and received no problem.

Port
For our Cozumel stop, we booked at Nachi Cocum. It's an all inclusive beach. This is our second time there, and we loved it even better than before! We got off the ship at 8:25, easy process, walked through the pier area to the taxi stand. They didn't have this area last time we were there. Much better. Shade, places to sit and wait if needed. We would of shared a taxi, but no one else was going. No worries. $15 and we were off. This was the first driver we've had that didn't scare the ____ out of me! We checked in, paid our balance, and they had us under the palapa by 9 am. Excellent. We got in the water for a while, then we had massages scheduled for each of us. I went first. When I got back, my DH had ordered nachos and guacamole. It hit the spot! After my husband massage, I had lunch ordered. We ate, drank, swam, relaxed. It was perfect.
Read 4,593 Cozumel Reviews
Port
When we got to Progresso, we didn't have any excursions, but I had read on TripAdvisor about a restaurant. Sounded good to us, so off we went. The ride into town was on an un-airconditioned bus. Not too bad as long as we were moving. After he dropped us off, we headed down the Malcon (strip?) The restaurant is called La Casa del Malcon. Loved this place!! We walked past all the other places. Saw Buddy's. That was our second choice and so glad we didn't stop there. Not too impressed with the looks of it. Anyway, we kept going. It's a bit of a walk, but not too bad. Three quarters of a mile maybe. It's just past the police station. We were not disappointed. We were the only ones there and they made us feel welcome. They didn't speak English, but we made do with our limited Tex-Mex. The menu is in Spanish and English so no problems. My husband loved his shrimp, and I got fried fish. The whole fish! Not what I expected, but it was fine. The dessert was scrumptious! Nice views, great service, pleasant atmosphere. What more could you want! We walked back to the pier, found another unairconditoned bus, and back to the ship.
Read 367 Progreso Reviews
Published 07/16/12
1 Helpful Vote
Read Cruise Critic’s Carnival Triumph Review
Carnival Triumph Cruises to the Western Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?