Costa Classica Cruise Review by Marylandlion

Cruise Date: June 2012
Embarkation: Venice
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: I2
See More About: Costa Classica Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Costa Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Costa Classica Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Costa Classica Deck Plans
Costa is a excellent value
We are just back from a wonderful trip on the Classica. We were a group of 10 experienced travelers (some more than others).

After reading some of the reviews, I was worried about what I had talked my friends into for vacation. Though some of the comments had some validity, I really don't understand most of the negative comments. It is an Italian ship and there were very few Americans on board (26). So, I can understand how the ship can be a little isolating if you are not traveling in a group.

Embarkation was not as structured as I have experienced in the past, but we asked questions, and were pointed into the right direction.

We thought the staff was wonderful. Kudos to our waiters Johnson Niranddah and Ashmed Thompson. They were attentive offered to replace any food that we did not like, bring an additional entree and even brought me extra vegetables every night. We lacked for nothing in our five course meal. Additionally, our room steward was very attentive and friendly. The international hostess, Shannon-Marie, went out of her way to assist us in a later disembarkation so we could enjoy Trieste.

The cabin was larger than I have typically experienced. The room was quiet, bed comfortable, shower small, enough storage. The air dryer was inadequate and you cannot use your own.

I thought the hotel ship officers were very nice. I would not say they went out of their way to engage in conversation, but when greeted, they were happy to talk. The ship even planned a July 4 celebration for the Americans with champagne and cake -- very nice gesture!

We did not do any organized tours from the ship. We found the ports easy to DIY with a little planning.

We all took all inclusive package for £16 plus service charge. Great value. We got bottled water each day before leaving the ship.

The ship board entertainment was poor. It reminded me a little of some high school productions -- but I really do not go on a ship for that.

The pools (2) were very small and there are children in both.

The front desk was not very helpful and though they had a pin indicating they spoke English, I think it was minimal.

Publication Date: 07/11/12