Costa Classica Cruise Review by fl370guy: Adriatic cruise

Adriatic cruise

Sail Date: August 2012
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

After spending a lovely day in Trieste, we boarded the ship at around 1435 hours.
Embarkation was straight forward and we were in our cabin within 15 minutes of dropping our luggage at the embarkation point.
Embarkation numbers were given, but never used and we moved quickly through the security and immigration process.
Once onboard the ship, we were greeted by a steward who pointed us in the direction to our cabin. Stewards were about the ship to assist as required with directions.
Our cabin, 7057, was ready with ships cards, door cards laid out on the bed.
The cabin was quite large and the toilet was one of the largest I have seen in my 14 cruises.
Even though I had pre-registered online for the free flow drink package "extra all-inclusive bevarage package", for my spouse and I, the cards were not annotated with this, so I had to make a trip to the front desk to have our ships cards reprinted. This just makes things easier for the staff. Even though you More are on a free flow of wine, beer, water and cocktails, the staff still require you to sign for your drinks. Sort of a waste of paper for a cruise line that prides themselves of being environmentally friendly.
We then rested in our cabin for a few hours until life boat drill at 1745 hours. After listening to this in Italian, English, French and Spanish, we were cleared to go.
Dinner was at 2130 hrs. Our waiter showed up promptly and greeted us.
As mentioned earlier, I have cruised 14 times, so I noticed right away that the menu was slightly more limited in choice for each of the many courses. 2 choice of starters, 1 soup, 2 pasta, 4 main courses. The food arrived promptly and was hot and fresh.

Woke up in Ancona, Italy and headed off to breakfast in the Tivoli restaurant.
Have to say I was not impressed with the service here. We were ushered to a table at the aft corner of the ship. Ordered a cappuccino and bottle of water.
The water arrived and sat on the service area counter for the longest time. I eventually had to get it myself as no waiter was around. After finishing my oatmeal, no one even thought of clearing the bowl and they allowed each plate or bowl from each course of the breakfast to pile up on the table.
Head off the ship for a great Sunday in Ancona.
Back on the ship for dinner and enjoyed a nice meal. Once again, everything was served fresh and hot.

Now on to Dubrovnic! Woke and headed up to the Piazza Navona for coffee.
Decided to opt for the Trattoria for breakfast on deck 10.
Not too crowded at breakfast time with 2 egg stations whipping up omelletes and fried eggs. Standard fare of pork sausage, bacon and ham. This never changed for the whole week. It was certainly faster serving ourselves than in the Tivoli restaurant.
Beautiful town and we really enjoyed the port.
Found the main dining room dinner to be consistent for the whole week.
Mostly had a positive experience. I came on the ship with an open mind and I feel that the crew did the best they could with this aging cruise ship.
The trattoria food service area is not user friendly and on certain days was overcrowded. More thought could be given to keeping the Tivoli open a little longer for lunch to offset the crush in the self service restaurant.
I found the staff in the self service restaurant was extremely slow at clearing tables, especially on the aft, outside deck. They seemed to lack any enthusiasm and would walk by tables full of dirty dishes while people searched for a place to sit and eat. Less

Read more Costa Classica cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Costa Classica Review >>

Cabin review: Costa Classica Oceanview Genoa Deck 7057

furniture was sparse. Some rooms had an easy chair to sit in. Ours had only the chair at the dest of the bed. There was room for a small sofa, but I think Costa is done spending money on this ship

just another tourist town.
Read 269 Corfu Reviews

a beaufiful port to walk the wall. Recommend taking the bus for 8 euros from the ship. Get a Dubrovnik pass once at the old city.

a nice cruise into the fiord and to the dock. Half day was great. Take your beach shoes as the stones are tough on the feet. Nice place.
Read 129 Kotor Reviews

Another old town. easy to walk around from the ship
Read 142 Split Reviews