Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by ppines: Oasis or Allure?

ppines
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Allure of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Oasis or Allure?

Sail Date: May 2012

Went on the Oasis in 2010 and now on Allure in 2012. Thoroughly enjoyed both cruises but can't say one was better than the other. Here's my take on things.

Arrived at 11:30 and check-in was a breeze. Embarkation was delayed and did not get aboard until 12:30. Last time we got right aboard and the rooms were ready. We bypassed the Windjammer and went straight to the Park Cafe for the yummy Roast Beef sandwiches for lunch. (Last time we didn't find this place until the next day)

Our Balcony room- close to the elevator- centrally located on the 6th deck. The one great improvement was the plug receptacle was on top of the counter instead of under the counter on the Oasis. THANK YOU! And the layout of the room was perfect with the bed near the balcony - giving the room spaciousness.
One disappointment: The bon voyage item I ordered for the room did not arrive until 5:00 - which I had hoped would have been there when we walked in.

FOOD- This was a little More disappointing. I feel the food was better tasting on the Oasis. And what's "Surf" without the "Turf"? (I just ordered 2 tails to make up for the turf!)
Speciality Dining at Chops Grill was great! On the Oasis we ate at Giovanni's and was not impressed.
Breakfast in the dining room was not very good... food was lukewarm at best and the pancakes were awful! Same goes for the Windjammer. Not the best quality of food- and they could not keep the trays of food filled. Oasis was much better.
Lunch had a variety of free venues to choose from. The Boardwalk Hot Dog House was a welcomed addition to the Allure.

Entertainment was GREAT! But be sure you have reservations... or else you will miss the best part of the cruise. Chicago was my favorite. And I learned to get to the Aqua shows early! The majority of the 300 seats have you sitting in the hot sun. All the shows were very entertaining on both ships.

Ports of Call: Let's face it, I didn't go on the Allure for the ports of call. The tours in Nassau/Paradise Island are way overpriced and very scripted. We could hardly understand the guide and the busses could use some maitenance.
St. Thomas is very commercial with non-stop jewelry stores. The tour took us to some gorgeous scenery - but not worth the money.
St. Marten was my favorite stop - and the tour guide made it a party bus!
I was disappointed we did not go to the out island. Oasis did go there.

There's lots to do aboard the ship - or - nothing to do! You can choose!
But a few things not to miss out on: The Belly Flop Contest, Love and Marriage Game Show, The Quest, Dreamworks Parade staring Shrek and all the characters, 70's Street Party, Comedy show, Flash Mob Dance Performance. Allure wins!

Bingo is very overpriced @ $32 or $55 to play. (Several times a day)
The photographer is always snapping away - @$20 for 8x10 photo could add up quickly. Some good.... some not so good!
Drinks of the Day were delicious...and you can keep the glass.
Staff was great on both ships. On the Allure - Captain Johnny was a talkative guy and the Cruise director Anna was hilarious. Enjoyed her morning show on the TV.

My husband and I had a great time for our 40th anniversary aboard the Allure. Looking forward to the Sunshine class ships out in 2014. Less

Read more Allure of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Allure of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Allure of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck 6 6624

Layout was great - bed near the balcony - not near the door. Good size closet with plenty of hangers. Centrally located on the ship- close to elevators, dining room, promenade, boardwalk, photo shop

City Tour

(1)
Not my favorite. Had a very long walk to get to our bus - which was not in the best shape - The air did not work properly. The tour guide did not speak English clearly. Atlantis Resort- Did not allow visitors into the hotel or beach area to walk around. They were not very hospitable. Could only see the outside of the hotel.

This was the best port of call. The coach bus was comfortable. The guide made the tour very enjoyable. He was funny, hospitable, knowledgeable and kept us all laughing. The tour was very interesting and worth the money.

City Tour

(2)
Tour Guide was horrible. The speaker in his bus was inaudible making every word garbled. I did not hear a word he said. His name was Raymond and that was the last thing I understood. The open air safari bus needed some maintenance! The number of jewelry stores was overwhelming! And the shop owners are very pressuring. I did not enjoy shopping.