Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by Porkstuff: Beautiful Ship- But Missing Some Personal Touches

Porkstuff
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Beautiful Ship- But Missing Some Personal Touches

Sail Date: May 2012

I'm 56 and my husband is 76. This was our 8th cruise. We selected this cruise for the ship primarily as we've done the Western Caribbean before. We were midship so I didn't feel we had to walk as much as he did but he has back problems so for him it felt like we were always walking.

Just let me say that I'm not really complaining because the ship is beautiful and awesome, but, I felt more had been put into the ship than in the personnel training and some of the small things that mean a lot.

GREAT- Embarkation. A breeze. When you get on the ship you can't believe where you are. You feel as though you walked into a beautiful hotel with multiple restaurants. The beds are very comfortable and as others have said, having a shower door and foot rest for shaving are great additions!! The computer touch screens at the elevators are the best. LOVED THIS FEATURE. Our balcony was wonderful but the dividers rattled a lot. Loved having the sliding doors that latched tightly. There More was live music in the dining room a few nights and it was extremely nice.

GOOD-Food- some of it was just awful, such as the steaks in the dining room, and one night my fish was so salty I couldn't eat it. Others were great such as the lobster and prime rib, so I give the food a GOOD. Our head waiter was extremely good- she was very nice and not arrogant like some we've had. Enjoyed the Solarium Bistro where I could get food my husband won't eat! I thought the Windjammer was very good, contrary to some other people's opinions. Love the bar on the top floor. Very nice.

FAIR-The atmosphere in general. If I hadn't been on the Carnival Dream I probably wouldn't have had this impression, but I just felt like I was in a big mall some of the time and it didn't really feel like a glamorous ship- more like a fancy hotel. So again, it wasn't bad as such, I just didn't particularly care for the decor, etc. The DREAM is more spectacular. You have to pre-register for shows, etc., but there was not a schedule of my reservations in the room. So I traipsed down to Guest Services (which is right along a busy walkway) and was able to print it out, but thought it should have been in my room when I arrived. (I'm afraid I'm starting to whine- dare I say there were only two nights we had towel animals on our bed????!!) An awful lot of the musicians who we heard sing in the bars were pretty mediocre but the instrumentation was very good.

BAD- NO FOOD AT THE POOL!!! I couldn't believe I had to go to a restaurant when I was poolin' it and there were no burger or pizza stations. Truly unbelievable. No pool towels are in your room so you have to go to a towel station and check them out with your Sea Pass card. REALLY????

Also, I finally found the ice cream basically hidden behind a hot tub after I saw someone else with an ice cream cone.

POOR- the closet in our room. Almost impossible to deal with. Extremely poor design. You can only get to 1/2 at a time and the table was placed in front of it so we had to move it all the time. Something is wrong with this part of their room design. The casino slots never seemed to pay much. I like when someone occasionally wins and everyone gets excited. On the last day every kiosk was out of ink so the boarding passes wouldn't print well. I complained after I walked what seemed miles to several different ones and was just told the airlines maintain it and they come on Sundays to check them.I wonder where they were the Sunday I embarked? Certainly not checking printers!!!! Everything others said about debarkation was so good but ours was a mess. They kept moving the line ropes so we were all over the place and then they got testy about it. They should have gotten their ducks in a row before they let us off. Was surprised going through customs that they actually paid attention to our form...

We only went to the Aqua show because we had late seating and preferred the casino. Overall, I would probably try RC again but not this ship. Less

Read more Allure of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Allure of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Allure of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck 6 11222

11222- issue with closet and getting into it; great balcony and loved the sliding doors that close tightly, love the real shower door and foot rest was great. Very comfortable bed and nice lighting.