Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by enidan

Embarkation: other
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: 07

Hurricane Irene Delay
Our departure was delayed 1 day due to Hurricane Irene. We received an onboard credit because we lost a day.

The boarding process was delayed because the previous cruise disembarked late. The cruise line did offer free juice to drink while we waited.

After taking a bus ride to the ship, we were greeted with mimosas and then immediately directed to the Waterfall Cafe because the rooms weren't ready yet. It was difficult to find a seat among all the passengers and luggage and even more difficult to battle the crowds just to get a mere something to eat at the buffet.

There were not many scheduled activities on departure day. Unfortunately, we did not pack our swimsuits in our carry-on luggage. So, we could not take advantage of the pool until our luggage arrived. Our luggage did arrive by dinnertime.

Our oceanview cabin was cozy. Our cabin attendants kept the room tidy, even folding clothes that were strewn about. There was a mystery banging noise every morning at 6:30 AM. Guest relations was unable to determine the nature of the noise either, but worked to resolve the situation.

The waitstaff in the main dining room were attentive to our needs: I'm a vegetarian and my husband is a big eater. Our waiter, Wawan initiated a special dessert when he discovered we were on our honeymoon. When I didn't see chocolate mousse on the dessert menu, our waiter made sure that I had chocolate mousse every night thereafter.

Try the Aqua Spa cafe for lighter, healthier breakfast and lunch options.

The spa staff is there to sell their services. One spa employee told me that I would look ugly if I didn't get my hair done for formal night. After my massage and facial, the spa staff was trying to sell extra sessions and skin care products. The spa staff did not tell us that a gratuity would be added on to our bill just for using the Persian Garden (sauna steam room), even though we basically entered the room by ourselves. Gratuities are also added on to every single spa service. I think they offered spa discounts toward the end of the cruise.

We booked our shore excursions prior to departure. On the first day in Bermuda, we went on a guided bus tour of most of the island, including stops at the Crystal Caves and Aquarium, Museum, & Zoo. On the second day, we went to Snorkel Beach, but could not use the snorkel gear, kayak, or paddle boat due to weather conditions. Celebrity gave us a refund for that. On the third day, we took the public bus to Horseshoe Bay Beach and rented a beach chair. This is much cheaper than Celebrity's Horseshoe Bay Beach Transfer excursion. However, there is a really steep hill that we had to walk up and down to get to the beach by doing this on our own.

We enjoyed the onboard ship activities, such as the galley tour, trivia contests, cooking demonstration, Iron Chef competition, free exercise class, etc. The musicians and evening entertainment were enjoyable, too.

Because we were celebrating our honeymoon, we were invited to a special celebration with the honeymoon and anniversary couples, complete with mimosas and wedding cake.

Overall, we enjoyed being pampered. Most of the staff were courteous and tried to remember our names.

Publication Date: 05/09/12