Diamant Cruise Review by SerenadeSailor

Cruise Date: April 2012
Embarkation: Grenada
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: ?
See More About: Diamant Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Island Windjammers Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+
Shore Excursions 5+

Ship Facts: Diamant Review (by Cruise Critic!)
Diamant / Island Windjammers a rare treat.
As a former Windjammer passenger - Mandalay on their BVI itinerary in June 2005 - I can say with pleasure that I got what I expected in terms of the Windjammer 'essence' but without all the juvenile stuff. This is a cruise for adults, but not in the swinger sense. I mean grown ups who appreciate a good conversation over dinner. Who are more interested in the wildlife than the nightlife. Who appreciate the exclusivity offered by the S/V Diamant.

Although the Diamant can handle 12 (Seriously. Only 12 passengers) we only had 10 aboard for our week due to a last-minute cancellation. We - my husband and I - were part of a group of 6 who booked the same week, so we knew each other before our sail. The other 4 were wonderful sailing partners, and we were all boon companions before the week was out.

The food was outstanding. 3 meals, plus Snacks & Swizzles left us happy but knowing that the diet started the day we got home.

The crew was competent,accommodating and fun. Captain Matt - yes the same Capt Matt from the old WJ days! - was our skipper and as expected gave us a great itinerary, fun Storytimes, and generally kept us safe and happy. Our Steward, Ren, was a delight. Every request was greeted with a smile, a can-do attitude and humor in all the right places. Troy and Aubrey were the guys running the dinghy, hoisting sails and looking out for our safety (and Aubrey put on a very

creditable 'comedy show' for us too). Marlon, the ship's Engineer spent so much of the week doing maintenance on the boat I wasn't sure he was actually with us until Thursday! And Boston, the Chef, as noted before, was a creative force for Good in the Galley.

The Itinerary was varied; lots of beach / snorkel time, a couple of town experiences (Bequia & Mayreau) and ample sailing. I only wish that they had multiple ships so that they could offer other itineraries! Still, even with that, the quality of the beaches we visited was so good that it could certainly qualify for a return visit.

The boat itself is a treat. She fairly gleams. Sure the cabins are small - IT's A SAILBOAT! But they are clean, the bathrooms are private, the showers have great water pressure. The Saloon is comfortable, the Horseshoe a great place to hang out when the awning is up to escape from the noon sun and still enjoy the island breezes. And the foredeck is plenty spacious for the number of guests.

All in all, I would rate the value for the dollar very high, and I would definitely do it again...like next week!

Publication Date: 05/02/12