General Overall Impression:
We were deeply disappointed in the expedition portion of the cruise. We missed 50% of the cruise due to excessive ice in Scoresbysund. Silversea’s answer was to do more in Iceland. We did not pay to ... Read More
General Overall Impression:
We were deeply disappointed in the expedition portion of the cruise. We missed 50% of the cruise due to excessive ice in Scoresbysund. Silversea’s answer was to do more in Iceland. We did not pay to visit Iceland – we paid to visit Greenland. For some unknown reason they did go to the southern part of Greenland and made this second half and Iceland tour. I blame the Captain here since he controls where we go. There was no reason we could not have gone south and done other expedition areas. The choice of going to Iceland and doing normal ports Husavik, Akureryi and western Fjords was not expedition sailing but sightseeing.
Pre-Cruise Hotel: Hotel was horrible the Radisson Blu Scandinavia. Internet did not work and construction noise throughout our three day stay. Breakfast was mediocre buffet. Some people paid nearly $300 per night, through Silversea, for the privilege of staying at this dive.
Transfer to airport. Paid $99 pp for this transfer. No better than taking the Flybussen for $19. We had to drag the luggage around the airport to find the check-in. Silversea’s contracted agents were pretty useless. Flight to Longyearbyen was good - on time and transfer to ship was quick.
Svalbard – 4 day cruise. Very interesting though many excursions required you to be in shape and physically fit. Some passenger requested some more less walking friendly tours (ie. Zodiac cruises) but these requests were ignored by the expedition leader.
Ship Impression. Having been on the Silver Explorer 18 months ago we knew what to expect. The ship’s decor is VERY tired looking. Rooms are almost all same size (except for the small number of expedition and owner suites). Lounge is very small and fills up for high tea and drinks.
Service was excellent. Only comment is that the butlers are glorified housekeepers. Our request for special gin (Henricks) was ignored.
Food. Much improved over past expedition cruise. Did not have a bad meal. Previously the buffet lunch was the highlight meal. This cruise the dinner portion is where the chef shined. Chef Pia did a great job.
Iceland – what a waste - we were not scheduled to do this we were to do Greenland.
• First port Grimsey Island was cancelled due to high waves.
• Second stop was a Siglufjord town – where the highlight was the Herring museum. Now come on this is an expedition cruise. Herring museum ..zzzzzz..
• Husavik the whaling capitol of the world. However no whaling but a bus tour to visit the falls and hot springs. Have done this twice before.
• Akureyri. Botanical garden tour. ..zzzzzz..
• On the last tour Grundefjord – 75% of the people requested that we return to the ship early – it was so bad as was the guide.
Disembarkation: Was quick and the hotel transfer was done effortlessly.
• Ships Staff – great service. Housekeeping and restaurant staff outstanding
• Food – chef Pia did a great job. Never had a bad meal.
• Ship is tired looking. Needs an interior makeover.
• TV never worked – there is no other entertainment.
• Internet exceeding slow when working. Some of it is the location but rest is a bandwidth issue.
• Wines - thought the red wines could have been of better quality. Mostly all blends (which I hate)
• It was not an expedition cruise. I blame the Captain. Read Less