Invercargill Cruise Port
Port of Invercargill: An Overview
If you are cruising to the lower extremities of New Zealand or beyond, the Heritage city of Invercargill is the last vestige of civilization you are likely to see. The rural city of 50,000-odd inhabitants can lay claim to the world's southernmost Starbucks. In fact, at 46'25"S latitude, it is the southernmost city in the Commonwealth of Nations and one of the world's southernmost cities.
The port facility is remote (32 kilometres) from downtown at a place called Bluff, a village in itself with less than 2000 residents. There is a cute maritime museum with all sorts of artifacts, but most visitors will use the port for departing on Antarctic voyages or by ferry to Stewart Island, 61 kilometres further south again across Foveaux Strait.
Invercargill is a pleasant place to stroll around the streets, although it is often quite chilly, even in summer when the highest temperatures barely nudge 20 degrees.
After you've had your Starbucks latte and taken a selfie, stroll up to the Southland Museum and Art Gallery in Gala Street to see the region's history and art on display. Pride of place is taken by the permanent Burt Munro exhibition, where the rag-tag custom motorcycles built by the famous backyard speedster are on display. Movie buffs will recall the 2005 film, 'The World's Fastest Indian', in which Sir Anthony Hopkins played Munro.
Currency & Best Way to Get Money
Currency in Invercargill is the New Zealand dollar. For up-to-date currency exchange rates, visit www.xe.com.
English is the first language spoken by the vast majority of people in Invercargill. (The next most common, used by only a small percentage of locals, is te reo Maori.)
--By Rod Eime, Cruise Critic contributor
- Another Sydney train question The_Big_M
- Beer and Wine on Australian Princess Cruises Dalesy
- Melbourne public transportation PerfectlyPerth
- Things to do in Dunedin, Napier & Picton Jasp 0401
- Luggage on train from Sydney Airport to Circular Quay The_Big_M
- Snorkeling in Australia Charles Mason
- 6 Days in Sydney- What area to stay? What not to miss? TTFN2013
- Alternatives for excursions on Celebrity New Zealand - Austrailia cruise calgal729
- Waterfalls, Rotorua & Waitomo Caves in January ~ Where to stay? Korimako
- Princess shuttle to Christchurch adstz