Stewart Island Cruise Port
Port of Stewart Island: An Overview
At the very bottom of New Zealand's South Island is Stewart Island, known for lush rainforest and crystal clear waters surrounded by sweeping sands, rare flora, fauna and natural beauty.
Cruise lines only visit occasionally, so there are no large wharves or ports for big ships to tie up. Instead there's a sturdy jetty at Halfmoon Bay used by the interisland ferry and another at Golden Bay that are perfect for tenders bringing guests ashore from ships anchored in the bay for a comfortable dry landing. Both sites are an easy stroll into Oban township.
In town you will find a small supermarket, souvenir store, post office, ATM, Internet cafe and The Red Shed (visitor information centre).
Stewart Island is an easy and ideal stop for expedition ships, offering visitors delightful walks in the forest and a chance to see some of New Zealand's unusual plants and animals up close.
Rakiura National Park was created in 2002 and accounts for almost 90 per cent of the island's 1570 square kilometres. Independent visitors come to see the wildlife, walk, boat, fish, dive, kayak, or just relax. Cruise ship visitors will most likely be taken on either a short or long hike escorted by locals who will delight in interpreting the scenes.
Currency & Best Way to Get Money
Currency in Stewart Island is the New Zealand dollar. For the most up-to-date currency conversion figures, visit www.xe.com.
English is the main language spoken on Stewart Island. Some locals speak Maori.
--By Rod Eime, Cruise Critic contributor
Stewart Island: Crystal SymphonyMMing00We went on shore but the port was extremely small with only one main street. ... Read more
Not a lot to see at Stewart Island and we had been there befoe but the girl host did a good job to make the tour as interesting as possible, and she thoroughly knew all the information and was able to answer virtually any question. ... Read more
Stewart Island: Silver DiscovererMlbmemoriesThis is a place where you'll run into alot of "day trippers". Just a walk around town ... Read more
Stewart Island: Silver DiscovererMatollygirl1Fantastic ... Read more
- Another Sydney train question The_Big_M
- Alternatives for excursions on Celebrity New Zealand - Austrailia cruise Wansbrough
- Book NZ tours before or when we get there? Jasp 0401
- Beer and Wine on Australian Princess Cruises Dalesy
- Melbourne public transportation PerfectlyPerth
- Things to do in Dunedin, Napier & Picton Jasp 0401
- Luggage on train from Sydney Airport to Circular Quay The_Big_M
- Snorkeling in Australia Charles Mason
- 6 Days in Sydney- What area to stay? What not to miss? TTFN2013
- Waterfalls, Rotorua & Waitomo Caves in January ~ Where to stay? Korimako