Melk Cruise Port
Port of Melk: An Overview
Melk, a quiet city, is located on the Danube River, just off the scenic Wachau Valley in Austria. Like many of the ports in this region, Melk's history as a city harkens back centuries, and this is apparent in the town's architecture.
The indisputable main attraction is Melk Abbey, a breathtaking monastery perched above the city on a hilltop. Your cruise line should offer an excursion there that includes a sweeping tour of the building and its grounds and a spectacular view of the city. Inspiration for Umberto Eco's well-known mystery novel, "The Name of the Rose," was taken from the abbey and its unforgettable library.
Don't be afraid to wander around on your own in Melk; it's a relatively small port, so it's difficult to get lost. One main path leads you into town from your ship, and a small town center with shops and a few eateries serves as the backdrop for your stroll.
Good to Know
Be aware: Due to age, flooding and construction, Melk's cobblestone streets have taken a beating and may be dangerously uneven in patches.
Melk: Viking Vekamalei63Amazing views ... Read more
Melk: Viking Ingvicyoung25Loved seeing all of the vinyards with castles interspersed on the hillsides. ... Read more
Melk: Viking PrestigeJcoop36Melk Abbey is beautiful, but in retrospect, this ,ight've been a good time to take some "down time". ... Read more
Melk: Viking Vesmitty72Cute little village below the Abbey. ... Read more
Melk: Viking VecjjsmarzPicturesque Abby and a nice walk through the quaint town ... Read more
Melk: Viking AegirdgtlftoVery informative. Got to experience the violin group from Palo Alto, CA performing. I walked the city ... Read more
Unbelievable art. ... Read more
- St. Petersburg private tours vs. Viking river cruise tours Hottubmomma
- Ama from Vilshofen to Budapest June 25 use ship land in Prague or be on own Cruisin Wannabe
- Central Pest Restaurant Reservations emerson621
- Budapest activities in the evening/night? H2Otstr
- Mt. Pilatus or Mt. Titlus Europeantraveler1
- Cologne DOM Cathedral Pilgrimage (Shrine of the Three Kings) polabear
- Transportation from Prague to Nuremberg Rebel54
- Hotels in Prague Paulchili
- Mercedes Benz Tour during Refit jgrahamiii
- Private tour in Budapest Prunion