We had just a great time last year on our repositioning cruise (Princess Line) that we decided to go for a 2nd repositioning cruise this year. A short cruise is perfect way to take a break from our hectic work schedules and spend some ... Read More
We had just a great time last year on our repositioning cruise (Princess Line) that we decided to go for a 2nd repositioning cruise this year. A short cruise is perfect way to take a break from our hectic work schedules and spend some family bonding time with our 2 twenty-something years old children.
We wanted to try Holland America Line, as we heard about their reputation of great customer service, classy ship décor, high standard of food quality and choices. We must state that we are very disappointed with the availability of food choices and food quality. It is the worst amongst the 12 cruises we have been on. Generally, customer service is decent, but would not consider it to be great though, as comparing to the 5 different cruise liners (10 ships) we have been on.
Our biggest pet peeves is that at every single meal we have, there are always either bowls, bread plates, cups and/or serving plates have chips on them. How could HAL whose image is tailoring themselves to a more affluent group be serving meals with chipped soup bowls and dinner plates at their Main Dining Room? Even on our previous NCL and Carnival cruises, their kitchen team and servers know better to replace them once they are no longer whole!
Overall, we like
• The ship Nieuw Amsterdam, it is easy to maneuver from deck to deck. We enjoy hanging out at the Crow Nest area
• Quality of entertainment and activities being offered
• Lido Restaurant – the Lido area that we have been on. Great layouts and excellent service personnel with both behind the counters and dining area attendants
• Cabin’s Bathroom – best layout and roomy; can shower comfortably without being attacked by shower curtain or bumped elbows with the side walls. Love having the bathtub!
• Our Balcony on Upper Promenade level - even though we have the steel enclosure as opposed to the plexi-glass. We were happy for the extra room to move around and stretch out on the balcony, as we lay outside for an afternoon nap on Sea Day, well protected from the wind, and I, even at slightly over 5 feet tall can see the ocean and horizon if I sit upright on the chair.
Would we sail HAL again? Probably yes if opportunity arises; we would like to give them another chance to impress us with better Dining Room experience. Read Less