September 20, 2018
(3:45 p.m. EDT) -- Celebrity Cruises' signature adventure cruise ship in the Galapagos, Celebrity Xpedition, has emerged from dry dock after a one-week refurbishment in Panama and will return to service on September 23 with an array of enhancements. The 100-passenger mega-yacht boasts redecorated cabins and public spaces, as well as more reliable Wi-Fi.
Celebrity Xpedition is the first ship in the fleet to receive an overhaul as part of the line's all-encompassing Celebrity Revolution program, which includes more than $500 million in fleetwide refurbishments. Other ships receiving the new Celebrity Revolution look include Celebrity Flora, the line's first purpose-built ship for the Galapagos, next year, and Celebrity Edge later this year, along with its sister ships over the next few years.
"Our commitment to the Galapagos Islands has never been stronger, because we know, having sailed these awe-inspiring islands for so many years, what a life-changing experience it is to come here," said Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, president and CEO of Celebrity Cruises. "The updates we're making to Celebrity Xpedition and the upcoming arrival of our new Celebrity Flora… will transform the way our guests discover this amazing place and take our unrivaled Galapagos offerings to an entirely new level."
Among the bow to stern enhancements cruisers will find on Celebrity Xpedition are:
- All rooms have been refreshed, with carpeting replaced and balconies upgraded
- All rooms doors have been outfitted with RFID lock technology for easier stateroom access;
- Onboard IT systems have been upgraded to make Wi-Fi available throughout the ship and satellite access has been added to make it more reliable;
- The Beagle Grill was outfitted with new furniture and lighting, while the kitchen received new culinary equipment;
- The Discovery Lounge received a new, state-of-the-art video wall, as well as a new DJ station and refurbished furnishings;
- The Darwin Dining Room received new lighting and carpet;
- A water filtration system has been added on every deck, for easy access to drinking water.
Additionally, the crew area received enhancements that included new mattresses with Celebrity's eXhale bedding, carpets and a Dayroom TV.
In June 2019, Celebrity Xpedition will debut enhanced suite services and amenities coinciding with the arrival of Celebrity Flora. Among the new amenities, suite cruisers will receive binoculars to use on their cruise, as well as backpacks and rain ponchos that they can take home with them.
--By Dori Saltzman, Senior Editor