(10:30 a.m. EDT) -- Carnival Cruise Line has limited the number of photos included in its premium Pixel cruise photo package, leaving some passengers concerned.
It's the second change this month, which at one point saw package prices jump by as much as $150 for unlimited photos. The latest announcement returns to the original pricing, but with a limit on the number of printed or digital photos that can be ordered. However, the premium packages do include at least one copy of photos taken of the customer, people in their stateroom, and their children under 21.
"To balance the strong popularity of the most premium package with the onboard photo center resources, there will be a cap on the number of copies guests can order of their unlimited photos to a maximum of 50 prints or 50 digital files," Carnival senior cruise director John Heald posted on his Facebook page.
Carnival says customers that purchased packages at the higher price will have the difference refunded, and that the line will still honor the original terms.
The unlimited package had its fans, like xMandy, a Cruise Critic member who had purchased one on an earlier cruise. "We ended up coming home with almost 200 pictures (don't know what we are going to do with all of them) and they are all on a USB for us as well. We always spend a lot on pictures, so this was ideal for us," she posted on the Carnival discussion board.
The newest photo options include:
- The Pixels package, costing $99.98 if purchased before the cruise. It includes five photos of the customer, plus a 16″x 20″ canvas portrait. The price on embarkation day is $119.98. At least one person in the stateroom (or children under 21 in a different stateroom) must be in each photo to receive the images as part of the package. Photos of those not staying in the customer's stateroom are not included.
- The $199.98 Pixels Plus package includes all the customer's cruise photos in either a digital format or in prints, depending on the ship. The embarkation day price: $239.98.
- And the $249.98 Pixels Max package includes all customer's photos, plus up to 50 additional digital or printed copies, depending on the ship. Embarkation day price: $299.98.
Carnival notes that photos will be provided digitally on ships with Pixels Digital Photo Galleries, including Horizon, Vista, Breeze, Conquest, Magic, Victory and Paradise; and in print format on all other ships, although some may convert to digital by the time of sailing.
- Large group photos (10 or more), weddings, renewals, Quinceañera, Sweet 16, special events, generic ship images or Dreams Studio images are not included.
- Pixel Packages are not available for Australia sailings.
- Private photo shoot requests, additional prints, canvas prints, metal prints, additional editing and tour images when off the vessel in port are not included.
- All photos collected throughout the cruise must be picked up on the last sea day before 1 p.m. to allow time for digital images to be burned.
- Any images taken on the last evening of the cruise will be available in print format only and will not include the digital image.
- All photos must be redeemed during the cruise.
- Photos purchased via the Carnival HUB App are not included in the packages.
--By Larry Bleiberg, Cruise Critic contributor