Map of Nice, France

(10:40 a.m. EDT) -- Cruise lines calling at the French Riviera have canceled port calls and shore excursions to Nice, following the terrorist attack yesterday.

A number of lines including Royal Caribbean, P&O Cruises, MSC Cruises, Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises have either port calls to Nice/Villefranche or shore excursions from nearby ports, such as Monaco and Cannes, scheduled in the next few days.

A truck driver accelerated into crowds of revelers celebrating France's Bastille Day, killing 84 people.

Neither the U.K. Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) nor the U.S. State Department have altered their travel advice to France.

The FCO issued this statement:

"If you're in the area, follow the instructions of the French authorities, who have canceled a number of public events planned for the coming days, closed the Promenade des Anglais and a number of the public beaches in and around Nice, and implemented some traffic restrictions."

Here's where the cruise lines stand:

Holland America Line

Holland America released the following statement: "Holland America Line operates five tours to the Nice area from the port of Monte Carlo, where our next scheduled call is on July 21. We are carefully reviewing and monitoring the situation and should tours to Nice change, booked guests will be notified."

MSC Cruises

MSC Cruises said in a statement, it is "providing [passengers] with the option to either cancel for a full refund or change their shore excursion plans," but added that "there is currently no restriction in place by the local security forces that would make this mandatory."

Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd.

The parent company of Norwegian Cruise Lines, Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises announced that it has suspended all shore excursions to Nice and implemented enhanced security measures for all ships operating in French ports.

Additionally, the company said, "We are providing support and assistance to our corporate team members, shipboard staff and guests with loved ones in and around Nice. Ships from the NCLH fleet were not operating tours to Nice at the time of the incident."

P&O Cruises

P&O Cruises' flagship Britannia is in Cannes today. A spokeswoman for the line confirmed: "All shore excursions to Nice have been canceled and passengers have been advised to avoid Nice centre."

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

Navigator of the Seas was due to visit Nice today, and sister line Celebrity Cruises' Celebrity Constellation tomorrow.

A statement read: "After reviewing all of the available information and along with discussions with our Global Security team in Miami, we have decided to cancel our next two calls to Nice. Navigator of the Seas was scheduled to visit Nice on Friday, July 15. Instead, the ship will spend the day at sea. Celebrity Constellation was due to visit Nice on Saturday, July 16. Instead, the ship will sail to Livorno, the next scheduled port of call, where it will now arrive earlier on Saturday and stay overnight."

The line confirmed it would "continue to monitor the situation" should there be a need to make more changes.


Cruise Critic has also reached out to Costa Cruises, which has ships scheduled to call at nearby ports next week. We will continue updating this story as more information becomes available.

--By the Cruise Critic team