Carnival Liberty

(Update, 11:40 p.m. EDT, September 13) -- Carnival Liberty has resumed its regular service in the Caribbean after leaving San Juan, Puerto Rico this evening on its next scheduled cruise. The ship was docked for four days at St. Thomas following an engine room fire and departed on Thursday, September 11, with permission to sail granted by authorities including the U.S. Coast Guard.

(Update: 7:45 a.m. EDT, September 11) -- Carnival Liberty departed from St. Thomas last night (September 10) and is expected to arrive at its homeport of San Juan, Puerto Rico this morning.

The ship is carrying 1,500 guests who have the option of staying onboard until Sunday morning (September 13), when the ship was originally scheduled to return to port in San Juan.

A statement from the line said: "All necessary authorities including the U.S. Coast Guard have provided permission for the vessel to sail. On Sunday, September 13, Carnival Liberty is scheduled to resume regular cruise service from San Juan."

(1:55 p.m. EDT) -- Following a small engine room fire that has sidelined Carnival Liberty in St. Thomas since Monday, the ship is slated to sail its September 13 voyage as scheduled, according to a statement from Carnival.

The vessel, which was sailing a seven-night Caribbean cruise from San Juan, was docked in St. Thomas when the fire broke out. Passengers and crew were evacuated but later allowed back onboard, where they were able to spend Monday and Tuesday nights before being flown home by chartered planes on Wednesday.

The ship, which is able to sail under its own power (albeit at reduced speed), is due to arrive back in San Juan later this week before its next sailing on Sunday, which Carnival has assured Cruise Critic will depart as planned. All hotel services -- including air-conditioning, elevators, toilets and galleys -- are functioning normally.

Each passenger on the affected sailing received a full refund of his or her cruise fare, plus $150 in onboard credit and a 50 percent discount on a future sailing of two to seven nights.

Several passengers on the affected sailing were booked on back-to-back voyages aboard the ship, and we're still waiting for word on how those cases are being handled.

We'll keep you updated as new information becomes available.

--By Ashley Kosciolek, Editor