(2.55 p.m. AEST) – Aurora Expeditions has launched its 2020/21 program aboard the Greg Mortimer with a 25 percent off early bird offer. The line was awarded “Best Itineraries” in 2018 by Cruise Critic.
Aurora Expeditions' managing director, Robert Halfpenny, said the range of polar voyages remains but new itineraries and destinations such as Iceland and West Greenland also form part of the new program. Other destinations include Antarctica and the Arctic and Costa Rica. A broad range of adventure activities are available, from sea kayaking to rock climbing and polar diving, depending on the itinerary.
“We’re thrilled to launch our new program which embodies our 27-year long legacy of offering small group expeditions that allow passengers to experience and access these otherwise extremely difficult to reach destinations,” said Mr Halfpenny.
Some of the main highlights of the new Aurora Expeditions 20/21 program include:
- A 21-night Solar Eclipse in Antarctica cruise to witness the December 2019 total solar eclipse. The ship will be positioned in the Weddell Sea, one of the best spots to witness this event according to NASA. The voyage provides a prime viewing spot and will visit the incredible white continent and the beautiful island of South Georgia.
- Expeditioners will experience a rare chance to explore the frozen landscape of Franz Josef Land on the 15-night Franz Josef Land Explorer voyage, crossing the Barents Sea to a world few have seen. Passengers will enter the Russian Arctic National Park for an immersive wildlife viewing spectacle.
- The 11-night Costa Rica & the Panama Canal voyage is an all-star event; with special guests including Aurora Expeditions co-founder and well-known explorer, Greg Mortimer, along with renowned photographer, Richard I’Anson, as the onboard wildlife photography expert. Expeditioners will explore some of the most biodiverse rainforests in the world and finish the trip with a guaranteed daylight crossing of the famous Panama Canal.
- The 22-night Antartica Complete journey will take passengers south of the Antarctic Circle, where few travellers have been. There will be countless excursions onto the Antarctic continent and the chance to explore the island of South Georgia to see penguin colonies and curious seals.
- Expeditioners have the chance to spot whales in Husavik, and see some of Westfjiords' most remote fjords and bays before visiting Vatnajökull National Park to witness glacial lagoons, black sand beaches, and Europe’s largest glacier on a 10-night Iceland Circumnavigation cruise.
- Home to the Ilulissat Icefjord, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, West Greenland offers an adventure-filled voyage to experience gleaming ice-filled fjords and unbeatable photographic opportunities on the 10-night West Greenland Explorer cruise.
The full 2020/21 program is available on the Aurora Expeditions website.