November 20, 2018
(11:30 a.m. GMT) -- Two of Marella Cruises' older ships -- Marella Dream and Marella Celebration -- have been undergoing dry dock refurbishments in Spain this month.
Chris Hackney, managing director of Marella Cruises, said: "At Marella Cruises we are committed to the modernisation of our fleet [and] we're excited to continue developing two of our much-loved ships, Marella Dream and Marella Celebration, as we offer our customers more choice and more variety."
Hackney added: "While modernising our current fleet we're also really looking forward to the introduction of our first ever adults-only ship, Marella Explorer 2, launching in spring ."
Marella Dream received the following updates during its dry dock:
- Astroturf and some brand-new furniture, including pods and hammocks, in the Sun Lounge
- USB ports installed in the Coffee Port
- The Lido buffet will receive a reconfiguration of tables, reupholstering of some chairs and drinks self-service stations.
- Furniture reupholstering in The Medusa Lounge & Bar
- Tides will get some furniture reupholstered
- Six water dispensers will be added to decks containing cabins
- A revamped entrance to Mistral's specialty restaurant
Marella Celebration is getting:
- Astroturf and new furniture in the Sun Lounge
- Reupholstered furniture and new carpet in Horizons bar
- Liberties will get a makeover to make the space look more modern and bright, with new furniture and artwork.
- The casino space in Hemingways will get a makeover, changing from red to purple decor.
- USB ports are being added to the Coffee Port and the ship's top suites.
Marella Celebration joined what was then called Thomson Cruises in 2005 -- identical to Marella Spirit that recently left the fleet -- and marks 34 years in service this year.
The 32-year-old Marella Dream has sailed for the line since 2010 and last underwent a refurb in November 2014, when Kora La restaurant, the Terrace Grill and a new sunbathing area were added.
Marella Dream will sail seven-night Canary Island itineraries departing from Tenerife for the winter 2018 season, while Marella Celebration will reposition to the Caribbean to offer seven-night Eastern Caribbean sailings.
Stay tuned for live updates from Marella Dream during our Canary Islands' sailing from Friday, November 23.