2. Cruise Styles
350
191
155
Sail Date: June 2014

My husband and I recently sailed on the Ama Legro of Ama Waterways on the Seine from Paris and experienced the trip of a lifetime. We have traveled in many different iterations of vacations but this trip was extraordinary as a result of the Ama Legro crew (family).This was our first river cruise and my first trip to Europe.

We had an extremely positive experience from the booking process thru airline and shuttle services and then the unbelievable cruise week that will forever be our most memorable trip. Every morning on the boat, we were given the details of our day tours and specific suggestions on the level of physical activity required and the choice of a "Gentle Tour" or the standard walking tour experience. The tours were guided by extremely knowledgable staff. The tours we chose were so informative and interesting and the sights were made even more special thanks to the design and implementation of the tour. The ports chosen for the tours were everything I ever imagined for a true flavor of France. It is difficult to pick a favorite spot - but one unforgettable sight was the Cathedral in Rouen and the evening light show - it is a Must See! You can get a glimpse of it on YouTube - but one must make a point to see it live! The tour of the D Day beaches was especially moving. The day of all of the WWII sights was done with such respect and reverence for the experience,

Our cabin was just perfect in size and it was spotlessly cleaned every day by wonderful cabin stewards and stewardesses. We had air conditioning that worked perfectly and the opportunity to open our French Balcony door really allowed us to be en pleine aire!

The food was as of a 5 star restaurant and it was such a pleasure to be able to meet the Chef and his staff and thank them in person for their culinary skill. The soups are like none I have ever had and they were exceptional. The dining room service was the best I have ever experienced! The wait staff presents with such joy and attention during every meal. The bartender and lounge staff were also top notch. They were attentive, remembered favorite foods and drinks and never lacked for conversation or service.

The entertainment was also a plus. I felt as tho we were enjoying the best artists in the region.

We traveled thru locks - a first for my husband and myself. It was a wonderful learning experience and the Captain and Crew were very informative and happy to accommodate questions.

The entire ship was spotless, well furnished and provided many different areas for relaxing and viewing.

As a plus, we had wonderful weather that just added to the joy of the entire experience.

I must admit, Peter our Cruise Manager was one of my favorites! His sense of humor and sparkling demeanor truly added to the ambience of the boat! (He really should have his own standup comedy show!)

We also enjoyed being on a cruise with only 125 or so other guests. We not only got to know crew, but had wonderful opportunities to meet and spend quality time with many of our shipmates.

We had extra days in Paris following our cruise and the 5 star service continued there as well thanks to Peter. We stayed at the Pullman Montparnasse and were very pleased with the choice and the choices for tours.

You will not be disappointed in your choice of Ama Waterways as a provider of unparalleled service and true excellence in a vacation option. I only hope that some day we can enjoy the excellence of this company on another river cruise.

Sail Date: October 2014

This was our first Viking cruise. We added a few days at the beginning of our trip in Berlin. We stayed at a Hilton hotel which was arranged for us through Viking. So glad we did that. The hotel was situated very well for our needs. We did take cabs to take us further out in the city. It was a wonderful cosmopolitan mix of the old (being restored) and the very modern new. We truly enjoyed both of them. We took a tour of the city when our official cruise time began. Lovely to see so much of that city.

We enjoyed the ambiance of the hotel. It was immaculately clean. The buffet breakfasts were delicious and the service was excellent.

We were on the ship after a long ride on a bus. Did not know anyone, but slowly enjoyed the company of the couple across from us. We arrived at the boat on a clear sunny day. Were welcomed by the captain and a very eager to please staff. Our cabin was great. It was not as small as I thought it would be. We had a large sliding window and a smaller one at the side of the bed. The bathroom felt bigger than it was. tv reception was not good at all. There was always plenty to do, or not do. It was relaxing in every respect. And always very clean.

Dining at every meal was an adventure. It was hard not to want to eat everything on the menu or the buffet.

We truly had to obey our stomachs and not our eyes! Presentation was always smart, and our waiter was very kind. He catered to each one of us like a family member would. He was terrific.

The port and shore excursions were too short for my liking. I never felt that I could shop for a meaningful souvenir in a leisurely way. Some of our time was wasted by poor planning. One whole excursion was to a beer hall, with the whole town shut down because it was Saturday afternoon. No place was open to tour.

My husband enjoyed many of the activities, while I need to rest. He participated in many.

Our last stop was Prague. There were many hotels. The one that Viking chose fore us was just okay.

However, every time we wanted to go to the center of the city, the bus ride was a half an hour. Therefore approximately one hour of a day would be wasted.

Other than the complaints I have mentioned. I thought it was a nice vacation. Unfortunately our last meal in Prague, gave my husband food poisoning. When got back to the USA we disembarked with assistance and were in an emergency room that night. He spent the following few days in the hospital. So the end of our trip was not good.

Sail Date: October 2014

We had high expectations for the Grand European Cruise, all of which were met and exceeded.

The selected docking cities and villages were well-chosen, the local guides ranged from very good to incredible, the range of options available every day was comprehensive, tailored to physical capabilities and interests of the folks on board. And the service was superb. My husband accidentally left his glasses on a bus that transported us into town (and then went off to serve other customers)--and the Program Director tracked them down, that afternoon. We've been on a number of big-ship cruises, and never experienced anything like the level of friendliness, attention and care we got from the Viking staff.

There were many little unanticipated perks--genever and cheese tastings, art lectures, special folk musicians, an amuse bouche at every dinner--as well as the flexibility to eat with different guests each evening, or choose a simpler, bar-food meal for two if we wanted a bit of private conversation. The food was uniformly excellent, at all meals, and the unlimited beer and wine a major plus.

Rooms were small but cleverly designed, and very comfortable. Room service was prompt and attentive.

If you never spent a dime on any extras-- non-included tours, bar items-- you would still have marvelous things to do every day and plenty to drink, including special coffees and other amenities. The small size of the boat let you understand some of the complexities of river navigation. And the preparation materials sent to us beforehand were outstanding, letting us get the most out of--for us--a once-in-a-lifetime vacation splurge.

Sail Date: October 2014

My husband and I are seasoned travelers and have done several cruises, Carribbean, Yantze, Mediterranean ... And have come to love the smaller boats. Because of the truly pervasive advertising

On TV, we thought we'd try a Viking ... Read More

On TV, we thought we'd try a Viking River Cruise. Our possible dates were limited by our Schedule and our friend' schedules, all of us executives, so the only possible sailing was Nuremburg to Budapest in October. I have to write and tell you it was the finest vacation ever! Fantastic food, brand new River ship, fantastic staff (okay the room cleaner was a bit testy at times), great ports, lovely, lovely trip. Only complaint would be not enough time in each port, but that's the schedule!

We couldn't get the Internet in our rooms, and it was dial up speed even on the public desktops, Would be nice if they said that up front, we would have brought CDs. The Program Host was a rock star, he was so great and so funny all the time and kept us up for everything even when the morning tours left early-early! Did I say the food was fantastic? Not mass market cruise fare, but personal chef type quality. Always available coffee, tea, cappuccino and hot chocolate, filtered water, both still and bubbly. Easy embarkation, room ready way before promised -- easy debarkation...and so sad to have it come to an end. My husband figured out the costs based on the room and level of service,and it turned out to be a good value, too. Note: best shopping in Budapest and Nuremberg -- take the Nuremberg extension for nuremburg or you'll only wave at the window of the trial courtroom, and miss the toy manufacturers' plants. Try to get to see the Passau motor works, and while there, GO to the restaurant high overlooking the river -- you can pass on the organ concert in Passau! Next year in France, I hope!! Viking River Cruises all the way! Thanks for a wonderful, wonderful trip!!!

Sail Date: October 2014

Portugal is a very interesting and beautiful country. The tourguides were excellent and the sites were amazing. Our Tour Director was very efficient and organized, as well as interested in the passengers. I had never been to the country before so there was much to see and learn. Lisbon was very different from other European cities I have visited and walking on the tiles and hills was a challenge. The hotel was very nice and the rooftop restaurant and the hotel pool were a bonus.

I really enjoyed the meals and entertainment off the ship, as well as the tours of the small towns.

The pool on the ship was a disappointment, since it was only a couple of feet deep.

The ship was similar to the one we had cruised on in the Danube, although smaller, which was fine.

However, the food was quite a disappointment. On the Danube cruise we had wonderful meals and I was looking forward to the same in Portugal. Soup, Salad and Cheese are my foods of choice, so I expected to have similar quality items on the Hemming. I have also eaten many meals in Portuguese restaurants in Newark, New Jersey, which has a large Portuguese population. However, most of the meals my husband and I ate on the ship were very disappointing. The soups were especially bland. I expect Portuguese food to be flavorful and this was not. The salads were not the variety I had on the Danube and the cheeses seemed to be the same every day. We had two very good meals - one was duck and the other was lamb. Perhaps this is because you are just starting on the Douro. We will be on the Rhine River Cruise next October and expect the meals on that cruise will be comparable to the Danube.

Sail Date: September 2014

This was our first river cruise and we were very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the experience. The tours were fantastic, the tour guides exceptional, and the on-board lectures very informative. The food and the food service was exceptional as well. The time was filled with as many activities as one could manage and any down time was your choice. We will definitely take another Viking cruise. They cost a little more but from what we can tell they are worth a little more.

The only negative is the Viking suggested gratuity policy. Several of the passengers had gratuities included in the ticket price but many, including us, didn't. We were never offered the option. And Viking's suggestion was to tip everyone and tip them generously including a healthy tip to a general fund to be distributed to the crew. If we followed their suggestions that meant bring a lot of extra cash (although they offered the option to add tips to your bill). That aside it was a wonderful two weeks and we wouldn't have missed it.

Sail Date: September 2014

We just returned from Waterways of the Tsars and fell in love with St. Petersburg and the Russian countryside. Our cabin was on the highest cabin deck, and we enjoyed sitting on our veranda during the cruising portion of the trip. Our room was a good size for us, but there are many public areas to sit if you prefer. The ship is attractive, and up to date, and always spotlessly clean. The meals are great. I cannot speak of ocean cruising, where I believe the eating options are much more varied, but we are not river cruising primarily for the meals. That said, the choices pleased us and everyone we talked to on the ship. There were almost always Russian specialties as an alternative to more common common dishes and we loved that. We thought the food was delicious and imaginatively prepared.

The staff was amazing! I really cannot think of a single staff member who was not professional and at the same time friendly. Our steward, Elena, kept the cabin immaculate. The wait staff, including Anna, was wonderful. The maître'd Sophia was adorable and kept the dining room running beautifully. The hotel manager was charming and extremely competent. He literally took care of any problems immediately, though the ship was run so well there were few issues. The on shore excursions were great, although we always preferred the on board tour escorts, Sasha and Alexey, to the local tour escorts whose command of English was not as good. Still, many of those tour escorts were good as well. The tours were superb, and there were also many on board lectures to acquaint you with Russian history and culture. All in all, we enjoyed this cruise much more than we had expected to, given the political situation. We have travelled with Viking before and knew they were excellent, but were a bit unsure about going to Russia at this time. We are certainly glad we went.

Find a Cruise