St. Thomas Underwater Scooter Excursion Reviews

St. Thomas Underwater Scooter cruise excursion
Overall Rating
View the splendors of the sea -- no diving experience necessary -- on a underwater scooter excursion as you enjoy the stunning colorful sigh and tropical reefs of St. Thomas.
Member Image podunktx
May 2017
This was a fun and new experience. Guides/workers were very accomodating to everyone. Large group was broken up in to smaller groups so that everyone was doing something either snorkeling, swimming, sunning or actually riding the scooter. Lots of instructions and they made sure everyone was comfortable with what was going on. We had plenty of time and I didn't feel like it was just a rushed excursion. Highly recommend.
Read podunktx's full Carnival Fascination cruise review
Member Image DaveO279
May 2017
- Did the BOSS underwater scooter for the kids. On the boat we were given a brief that said that the guys working there would be happy to help the women shower off after they got out of the salt water. The also stated if the boat sank that if they woman wanted to be saved not having clothing may help them get saved faster. They also stated smoking was permitted on the boat. As we were heading to the site several people started getting sea sick but that did not stop the crew from smoking. I felt like I was back in the 1970’s. The best part of the excursion is the snorkeling. However, they do not warn you about the “Fire Coral” on the rocks where they tell you to snorkel. My wife had a wave push her into some and her stomach and thighs were completely raw from the venom. She was in so much pain I had to swim her back to the boat. I’ve never seen her in so much pain. If you’re unaware of it please Google it to see how serious this stuff is and can be. The guys working on the boat laughed and sprayed her with Windex. Their idea of customer service was telling her to “Get on her big girl underpants and get back in the water” when it was her time to go on the scooter. That is what they said to her word for word. The BOSS scooter riding time was a joke. It was about 20 minutes of riding around an all sand area. It was an underwater desert so you couldn’t run a scooter into any rocks. The area was also completely void of any sea life except when the opened a bag of food and a few schools of common fish swarmed around you. That only happens when the scooter is stopped and makes you feel like you’re surrounded by fish. The scooter was slow and boring but at least I tried something new. As far as my wife’s Fire Coral burns they basically told her there was nothing other than the Windex or ammonia to put on it. 9 days later she still has pain and discomfort from the coral. Upon arriving back to the Oasis I went to medical and was told they didn’t have anything to treat fire coral because it was against International Law to have ammonia on board. A few days later we talked to the Padi Dive Store and they told us we should have used vinegar. Vinegar the 1st or 2nd day would have helped her. A day later we went to the shore excursion desk and she told us that she would give us 20% off the excursion because of the horrible experience. She mistakenly only refunded my wife and I’s trip and forgot to discount our 3 kids. I guess I was wrong to expect anything else. Horrible excursion and clueless Oasis medical staff.
Read DaveO279's full Oasis of the Seas cruise review
Member Image wasaloyalroyal
Apr 2017
underwater helmet dive on a scooter...Awesome unique experience!
Read wasaloyalroyal's full Harmony of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Webmommy
Apr 2017
Wonderful tour operators. The instruction is thorough and you are helped every single step of the way. No matter what your experience level, the guides are there to help you have a successful underwater journey. The tour equipment was fantastic and it's an experience I will always treasure. It can be *challenging* to get into the scooter, but a master diver is there to help you through any thing you need help with. They are very patient and kind. I highly recommend this tour.
Read Webmommy's full Carnival Splendor cruise review
Member Image Nyormirror
Mar 2017
BOSS Under Water Adventure. Excellent and well worth the price. They do have you sign medical waivers and you do need medical clearance pre-cruise if you are taking ANY medications.
Read Nyormirror's full Norwegian Escape cruise review
Member Image David - West Hollywood
Feb 2017
Highly recommend. The experience itself is so much fun! You should be a decent swimmer as you have to swim to the scooter and then swim under to enter it. Once you're inside, it is FANTASTIC.
Read David - West Hollywood's full Regal Princess cruise review
Provider: Princess Cruises
Member Image rukkian
Feb 2017
Awesome experience, easy way to get underwater.
Read rukkian's full Jewel of the Seas cruise review
Member Image ItaloAmericana
Jan 2017
The BOSS underwater adventure was awesome, but there were a couple of issues. First, the BOSS "tour" itself is fantastic. Snorkeling before the ride was also fun; lots of fish thanks to the captain tossing out fish food. The issues: 1) One of the crew was abrupt and mean...not what I expected as a paying customer. 2) I was injured by another customer. I did inform the captain, but nothing was ever done about it.
Read ItaloAmericana's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image South Aust Cruiser
Apr 2016
not enough stars to really rate this experience, my whole family loved it so much. People of all ages were out there with us and my son whose scared at trying new things loved it to bits
Read South Aust Cruiser's full Anthem of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Bolo75
Feb 2016
We highly recommend this, of all of the tours we have taken on 6 Cruises. This is by far our favorite. Very much worth the money.
Read Bolo75's full Royal Princess cruise review
Provider: Princess Cruises
Member Image Cuizer2
Apr 2015
The ride on the BOSS unit lasts about 45 minutes at depth of about ten feet (three meters). It is like riding a very slow moving motorcycle (it only moves at about two miles per hour) with the helmet at a fixed height. It drives like a car (you turn a wheel) not like a motorcycle (where you push the right handle bar away from you to make a left turn). You have to keep your right thumb on the power button to move and to turn. It has two speeds, slow and stop. It is powered by a battery in the lower housing and of course there is air coming into the helmet so you don’t have to hold your breath the entire 45 minutes. The unit is designed to sink. However, there is a button (which we are not supposed to touch) which adds air to a swim bladder and the unit rises (just like a submarine). You have to hold your breath a few seconds to get into the unit, then they let it sink. It can’t sink more than ten feet because it is attached by a rope to a flotation buoy. Once it reaches the end of its rope that is it. There are about two BOSS units per safety diver. The safety diver will take your underwater camera and take pictures of you. They also sell under water cameras on the ship. However, they are limited to 27 photographs. I took over 150 pictures underwater, so you’ll have to decide if it is worth getting your own underwater camera or purchasing a single use underwater camera. Full review for photographs
Read Cuizer2's full Freedom of the Seas cruise review
Member Image WEGL81
Apr 2015
Overall the excursion was enjoyable but moreso for the snorkeling than the 15 minutes spent in the underwater scooter. DW had an issue with fogging in her scooter and spent most of the time splashing water on the inside so that she could see. It was good to do this once but would not do again due to the high expense and short time actually spent on the scooter.
Read WEGL81's full Allure of the Seas cruise review
Member Image NancyOu
Mar 2015
I've written a review on TripAdvisor for BOSS, and will say something similar here. Not being a good swimmer, and a bit afraid of the water, I found this tour to be an interesting adventure. It will not seem like one to my sons who are avid divers, but for me it was all new and the crew of BOSS really made me feel safe. However since it was a first time for me and since I was not completely relaxed, I think I missed seeing everything I could have seen. Maybe a few more minutes underwater might have been good. I will try it again and be more relaxed next time.
Read NancyOu's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image jjaly
Mar 2015

I would have given this excursion a 5 but I was on a scooter that was in very slow motion. So slow that the divers had to push me and another young girl along to keep up. It was really a neat thing to do and we got to see a bit of a ship wreckage and alot of fish. I really enjoyed doing that. After we finished with the scooter we had about an hour to snorkel. I love snorkeling. I saw quite a few fish and a decent size sea turtle. I thought it was well worth the money to do this excursion. The captain was a very funny guy and had a great sense of humor. The other divers were very helpful and friendly.

The excursion was not until 12:30, so we had time to go and do some shopping in St. Thomas. I enjoyed the shopping there. Lots of tents and stores. I found that if you are not looking to buy jewelry, it's best to stay away from that area. They are soooo pushy trying to get you into a store for a free charm.

Read jjaly's full Norwegian Gem cruise review
Member Image NWTraveler58
Feb 2015

I gave 5 star for the professionalism. Due to weather condition, our boat was turned around on the way to the dive site. The crew were very professional and easy going. Even though my cousin and I were really looking forward to do the BOSS experience, we were glad the crew took safety seriously. We went to the Maegan's Beach instead and it was gorgeous, although frequent strong wind was not exactly what I anticipated. The shops in the downtown shopping area are mostly identical to St. Maarten. We were not interested in jewelry nor electronics but if you are interested there seems to be good deals as both ports are duty free. One thing I did buy was a box of Belgian chocolate (16 pieces for $26) which I am sure would be very yummy if it was not forgotten in the stateroom refrigerator! If you love chocolate, St. Thomas seems to have better selections. The staff at the chocolate factory was nice. We had lunch at Go-Go Pasta in one of the alleys and the food was good and very reasonable. I would recommend their pesto penne.

Read NWTraveler58's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image pollyyyz
Dec 2014

This tour was amazing. The captain and the crew are amazing and your safety comes first. I am not a strong swimmer and they made me feel comfortable and made it super easy for me. They brought the unit right next to the ship in order for me to get on and off and they even encouraged me to try snorkelling which I loved. This crew is professional and genuinely want everyone to be safe and have a good experience.

Read pollyyyz's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image argunnoe
Dec 2014

The crew was rude, the constant smoking was disgusting with no place to get away from it. The "BOSS" underwater scooter type excursion was about 15-20 minutes long - saw nothing, was corralled and led around with pictures taken and then back to the surface. More snorkeling than anything but in an area where nothing was seen but a few fish. Cookies and water were the SNACKs that were available. Needless to say most were starving by the time we got off the boat. My husband and I had packed sandwiches from the breakfast bar and so we had food. Would never recommend nor go again. Waste of money, boring, saw nothing - crew was too rude for the entire lengthy trip.

Read argunnoe's full Carnival Valor cruise review
Member Image GoBlue45
Apr 2014

This excursion was definitely out of our comfort zone but boy did we enjoy it! The boat crew was very funny and the scooter or underwater (BOSS) was cool and easy to maneuver. Your head is in a bubble like helmet and in air (as opposed to in water) and they pipe in air to the helmet. We saw a ship wreck and a lot of colorful fish. Fun time!! We then

Read GoBlue45's full Celebrity Reflection cruise review
Member Image kmw.smith
Jan 2014

The other excursion we did was to take a BOSS underwater scooter on St Thomas's! Safety was the big thing and the organisers were great at giving instruction on the dos and don'ts. The divers followed every inch of the way and the whole experience as great. We were in the first group and that meant that we had time to get in some snorkelling - something else I'd never done but always wanted to! All in all an excellent experience!

Read kmw.smith's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image Jillakins
Jun 2013

Underwater Boss was enjoyed by all that went on this. They were allowed 25 minutes on the scoters and then snorkeling.

Read Jillakins's full Allure of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Nipigongirl
Dec 2012
This was the St. Thomas excursion BOSS Underwater Adventure (STB8). This for me was like someone who is afraid of flying trying to get over their fear by taking a flight. I hate fish. Hate them around me, near me, touching me. So, to please my 13 year old daughter we booked this Underwater Scooter excursion. This was one of the best excursions that we went on. The crew meet us right on the pier and we had a bit of a walk to get to the excursion boat. The crew on the boat were friendly, entertaining, and funny. The number of people on this excursion was about 20 people and there were people from other ships. It was a short boat ride to the location where we were going to snorkel and ride the scooters. We were split into two groups. One group did the scooter ride and the others went snorkeling until it was their turn to ride the scooter. I quickly got over my fear of the fish when I mentioned this to one of the crew and he said there was nothing that would hurt me. So, I went in the water and the crew member threw fish feed in the water and I was swarmed with fish. Terrified at first, but then laughed so hard realizing that there wasn't anything to fear. I don't think this excursion is for someone who has experience diving or snorkeling as I didn't see too much while we snorkeled (except for the fish that were there because of the food they were throwing from the boat). The scooter ride was fun but I didn't see much while down there because I was afraid of running into someone. But it was still fun and we ended up with some great pictures. The scooters are down about 8 feet and I had an underwater camera with me but decided to buy a disposable one for $20 that they had for sale on the boat. At first they stated we would be going down 20 feet and I knew that my camera was probably only good for 10 feet. Then after we were done I realized they probably over stated the depth in hopes of selling the overpriced disposable under water cameras. Got me hook, line, and sinker. But that was o.k. because it was all worth it. I would definitely do this excursion again but next time I will use my own camera (the crew take your pictures while you are on the scooters).
Read Nipigongirl's full Celebrity Equinox cruise review
Member Image wkasmarzyk
Apr 2012
St. Thomas-GORGEOUS......our excursion was the BOSS tour, the underwater scooter. This was super fun to do and we are so glad we did it-but once is enough. You are underwater for about 30 min, which by then the novelty has worn off. We did some snorkeling while we waited for the other people on the tour. It wasn't the best snorkeling, but I did see a Barracuda which was cool. After the tour I did some shopping. The Mall right outside of the ship is very touristy, but people are nice. I also went to the higher end area, but it is pretty $$$
Read wkasmarzyk's full Celebrity Eclipse cruise review
Member Image paramedic268
Mar 2012
If there is one tour to take, this is it. Great crew, with lots of SCUBA divers for safety. They don't sell any pictures so you can get an underwater camera before you leave, or for $20.00 they will sell you a camera. The divers take your pictures, and they do a great job.
Read paramedic268's full Celebrity Silhouette cruise review
Member Image bs4u2c
Feb 2012
Must do at least once! Great Crew, fun time!!
Read bs4u2c's full Adventure of the Seas cruise review
Member Image bs4u2c
Feb 2012
Must do at least once! Great Crew, fun time!!
Read bs4u2c's full Adventure of the Seas cruise review