St. Kitts Mount Liamuiga Volcano Excursion Reviews

St. Kitts Mount Liamuiga Volcano cruise excursion
Overall Rating 22 Reviews
Experience the heights of St. Kitts with a climb to the top of Mount Liamuiga, an extinct volcano.
Details & Booking
Member Image tony11727
Feb 2018
Beautiful, scenic trip to Soufrier and the volcano. Best tour guide I've ever had. Only caution is that if you are prone to motion sickness, wear a patch or take something before. The roads are winding and hilly.
Read tony11727's full Norwegian Breakaway cruise review
Provider: Norwegian Cruise Line
Member Image Irishqt2
Dec 2017
This excursion gives a description of a pretty grueling hike up the side of a muddy, wet, treacherous, mountain, and I was pretty quick to dismiss the extreme adjectives used to describe it. I warn you: DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THIS CLIMB. This climb was WET. This climb was MUDDY. This climb was frequently darn near verticle. Wear good hiking shoes. Wear pants, there was a good gentle breeze. Take a backpack with water, a snack, maybe even some peppermint oil or ginger root if someone gets sick, maybe some juice. I don't care what diet you follow, bring sustenance and you will LOVE LOVE LOVE this excursion!! My group was funny and lighthearted and we laughed the whole way. I am still walking funny and I consider myself pretty active (a 28 mile bike ride doesn't bother me). I saw a lady coming down from the top who was CUT, I mean she had definition! She had professional walking sticks and a hat and she was 'all that' in the work out world. I made a joke as she was heading down past me and she said: 'I'm not alright. I AM REALLY. ...NOT..... ALRIGHT. " I felt a little bad for making a joke but I thought for sure she must be doing better than me. LOL. It's fantastic and I hope to do it again. Worth every penny, worth every second. BUT, if you aren't a cardio person, you may want to choose another excursion.
Read Irishqt2's full Celebrity Equinox cruise review
Provider: Celebrity Cruises
Member Image AndreaDoria
Dec 2017
A very strenuous hike, but very rewarding for those who made it to the top, like myself. Very glad I booked this tour!
Read AndreaDoria's full Adventure of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Freethinker1602
Dec 2017
DO NOT TAKE THIS EXCURSION FROM ROYAL CARIBBEAN! I hiked this volcano. I am in good shape. I exercise for an hour or more 3-5 days a week. I lift weights... I am athletic. I hike. I usually go trail hiking in the Appalachian mountains. The volcano trail itself, on the volcano is about 2 miles and then the trail to the trail to the volcano is about a mile. In total the hike is about 8 miles, according to the pedometer on my phone. Royal Caribbean schedules the excursion for 6 hours, which stresses the tour guides, because they have to be on time. The tour guides will rush you on a treacherous and muddy trail that is often 6 inches wide at places, with huge boulders as well. it is not mountain hiking, it is mountain climbing. The degree grade is about 30% if I had to guess. sometimes, it probably pushes 70% especially the last half mile toward the summit. Making that ascent and descent at that speed on that trail is not safe for amateurs and should only be done by serious mountaineers and not by children. Children can become exhausted and can suddenly experience cardiac or respiratory complications and radical decompensation (shock). This is not a safe excursion during rainy season. Subtract 2 hours for travel, one hour each way. You must complete this 8 mile round trip in 4 hours with minimal breaks. The beginning of the trail is humid and is very taxing to start a mountain climb with few breaks, that last about 30 seconds. The humidity in the beginning makes the rest of the ascent that much more challenging. The trail is not as well groomed as I would expect. It was more overgrown than I would have thought. With such a popular trail, I would hope that they errect some more stable and permanent assistive structures (IE a railing) on the trail, instead of slack and knotted rope. The tour company handed us cold cut turkey sandwiches on white bread for lunch with a 2 oz Dixie cup of lemonade. Not worth $119. G-d bless my guide. I would not have made it to the top without her.
Read Freethinker1602's full Anthem of the Seas cruise review
Member Image dogwood7030
Oct 2017
The description said Strenuous and it was EXTREMELY Strenuous!! The view at the top as well as along the way was well worth what I put my body through during the hike . Be prepared that this is not a leisurely hike through the woods. You will put your leg muscles and your heart through quite an amazing trip......it says to wear long pants, but if you do, wear light weight pants and not jeans. I wore leggings and they worked well. I consider myself relatively fit going to the gym every other day and this was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I am 51 years of age and there were a few folks that were younger than me that didn't make it to the top. My mother and brother-in-law, both in good shape, both made it to the top and back as well.....but definitely gave us a run for our money. Our guide did a great job of keeping tabs on the entire group and making sure we were all feeling ok enough to continue. Those that couldn't continue were met with another guide and taken back down the volcano. The entire tour took about 7 hours and was so worth it!!
Read dogwood7030's full Adventure of the Seas cruise review
Member Image naty0112
Aug 2017
The shore excursion in St. Kitts it was the worst experience of my life nowhere did it say that the excursion was dangerous and risky it did say strenuous and that was true but the danger wasn't told anywhere. it was 2 hours and 45 min up and 2 hours and 45 min down the hike was horrible they give you a stick to hold on to and thats it. Its literally a nature trail there are only a couple steps and ropes to hold on to in the beginning after that you have to hold on to the rocks the roots the trees anything you can find. I really hated the excursion people fell and open wounds and many stayed in the way and couldn't make it to the end of my group 3 didn't make it. There were spots that only half your foot fit in and you had to hold on hard to anything to not fall down rolling through all that jungle and it was extremely dangerous as the falls were very high I think if someone falls they can die and there is no way to get back to the top. It was very scary and extremely dangerous and risky. They guides were telling us stories of people who have broken their foot and dislocated their shoulders it was just horrifying. They also say you have snack and water included the snacks were ok but there wasn't even enough water for everyone and the juice was literally a sip per person of a juice that is not even new it is like a refilled bottle.
Read naty0112's full Allure of the Seas cruise review
Member Image ErikP
Aug 2017
Code: KT63. I loved this hike! It was hard, but well worth the effort to get to the top. Good shoes are a must, the trail has a lot of tree roots and there are slippery areas.
Read ErikP's full Adventure of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Anonymous.Cruiser
Jun 2017
This was the best excursion experience I have ever had. I love hiking, and I love doing things outdoors (mud runs especially). This was a great experience because it was super strenuous. You have to be in shape because the hike is difficult and requires you to use your whole body. There were parts where the trail was very narrow and you had to hold onto the roots on the side to keep your footing. Near the top, scrambling was necessary, but it was super fun. Most people complained only about not having extra sneakers. I ended up just throwing my pair out because they were old anyways. Once we got to the top, we felt amazing, and I would do this excursion again in a heartbeat. It also gave me a great excuse to eat at every restaurant serving dinner when I got back onto the cruise ship.
Read Anonymous.Cruiser's full Harmony of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Tarnlake
Apr 2017
This was to be a 6 mile hike to see the volcano (3 miles up and 3 miles back). It was more of a mountain climbing expedition than a hike. The "trail" was straight up, in most places more of a large drainage ditch with tall ledges and exposed roots and vines. We're experienced hikers so these obstacles aren't overwhelming in and of themselves. However, our guide expected us to essentially jog up the mountain, constantly scolding us to hurry up because there isn't enough time to stop and take a drink of water. Half of our group didn't make it to the top because of the ridiculous pace that was being set by the guide. We were offered a dried up piece of biscotti at the top and that was all that were offered to eat on our 6 hour excursion. It was awful.
Read Tarnlake's full Adventure of the Seas cruise review
Member Image toothfairy3boys
Jan 2017
This was a bucket list for most everyone in my family! What a beautiful ride to get to the mountain, then the hike through the rain forest up the volcano. The tour leaders did a great job explaining things about the rain forest and volcano as we ascended upwards. They also did a good job watching those who could not make it. The terrain was rough and muddy, so bring old shoes or hiking boots for this one!
Read toothfairy3boys's full Anthem of the Seas cruise review
Member Image hthieme0805
Dec 2016
Extremely strenuous for those able bodied but worth it when you reach the top
Read hthieme0805's full Allure of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Lisafitness
Dec 2015
Don't do it unless you're in shape. Wear hiking shoes and bring your own food and water. You will get dirty.
Read Lisafitness's full Jewel of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Adelesmum
Sep 2015
This was very strenuous!!! 45 minute drive in 4X4 then 21/2 hour hike up volcano and 2 hour hike back down. There's not much of a path so it was a lot of holding onto roots and trees to haul yourself up. You start at 780 feet and go to 2800 feet and its 82 degrees with high humidity. The guides are excellent and they point out vegetation on the walk. Was disappointed that we didn't see any monkeys. Only saw mongoose. Not for people who are out-of-shape. Light lunch is a ham and cheese sandwich so take snacks. They do provide water. I drank 3 bottles going up and there's no washrooms!! They call it the "bush room".
Read Adelesmum's full Independence of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Noto
Apr 2015
We're sub-30 and in great shape. This hike was HARD. Pure cardio on the way up (2.5 miles each way, about 2.5 hrs up, 2 hrs down). The bus ride to the trail head was about 45 mins each way. The guides are super nice, but really hate the monkeys on the island - we saw a bunch of them on the hike. Once you get to the top, you get to look into the caldera (inside of the volcano peak), and here's the only complaint - you only get about 45 seconds to view it before you start your descent. Would it really kill the tour operators to rest for 10 minutes up there with some good views? We really enjoyed the hike, but it's rocky, you use roots and rocks to climb up, and coming down isn't easy either. Not the hardest hike I've ever done, and everyone who started did finish, but it was not walk in the park.
Read Noto's full Adventure of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Amma24
Jul 2013
Dangerous tour.mtge group left late and then tried to make up time by rushing up the mountain. Half the group dropped out before reaching the summit and all returned scratched up from slips and falls.
Read Amma24's full Jewel of the Seas cruise review
Member Image VegasMark
Mar 2013
Not an easy hike - becomes a very difficult hike if wet.
Read VegasMark's full Independence of the Seas cruise review
Member Image gbsand81
Mar 2012
It poured rain (I guess that's why they call it a rain forest...) and there wasn't much to see at the top. Lots of mud and very slippery. It's a VERY steep hike (some on hands and knees) and I would wear hiking shoes if possible. Nice drive out to the volcano -- lots of nice views of old sugar plantations.
Read gbsand81's full Serenade of the Seas cruise review
Member Image wagardsmith
Feb 2012
This is a tough one for me to review, because the weather was not good and we couldn't see anything from the top. I will say that this hike it TOUGH! I hike a lot in Oregon, and I am used to hiking up and down mountains. But the terrain is very steep, and I had to pull myself up a lot holding on to small trees and rocks. The pace is pretty fast, and my legs were fried by the time we started back down the mountain. I was sore for a couple of days after the hike...another couple on the hike with us told us later that they cancelled all of their excursions after the hike because they were so sore. Also, this excursion was $99, and I don't think it was a good value for the cost. We had some bread and juice at the top of the mountain and a very basic sandwich at the end of the hike...no real meal.
Read wagardsmith's full Serenade of the Seas cruise review