Curacao Cave Tour Excursion Reviews

Curacao Cave Tour cruise excursion
Overall Rating
Explore the Hato Caves -- the deepest and longest cave formation in Curacao -- home to beautiful limestone decor, waterfalls and the famous Madonna Statue.
Member Image lratoff1
May 2018
The worst experience for me was on the first day of port visits in Curacao. We had booked the Hato Cave Tour which left at about Noon. The first stop at the cave nearly resulted in me needing a paramedic. There were over 50 very steep steps UP to a cave, which necessitated me to sit midway on one step to allow me to catch my breath and continue on (about 10-15 minutes). Once in the cave, it was hot and not a "cooled cave" as you would expect. It did have quite a few fans on stands, but there was no place to sit unless you were cautious not to lean back and possibly fall into the cave about two stories down. I was close to having suffered a heat stroke and tried my best not to black out. I was thankful to a couple of ladies from California who stayed with me and subsequently helped me out of the cave. The tour guide seemed blind to my distress. Afterwards back on the bus, one of the ladies gave me a fruit to help my dehydration and give me some nourishment. Our tour was supposed to go back to the ship so we could have lunch but the cancelled that portion. We were provided with NO food, snacks, beverages for the entire time of the tour, with all the provisions that there are on the ship. The tour guide, Ursula, provided many facts that guests needed to correct her about. I did not get off the bus for the rest of the day in fear or heat exhaustion again. The guide rearranged the order of the tour, and we did not get back to the ship until 8:00PM. At that point, we were unable to make the 8:30PM dinner at the specialty restaurant. We were not dressed for it nor in a state of mind to enjoy it. Being diabetic and not having enough to drink or eat for that many hours was a serious issue. That tour really ruined the beginning of our ports of call and my attitude towards Princess. Our experience with Princess tours in Alaska was excellent, so this experience was a 180-degree difference. We reported the Curacao tour issue onboard the Caribbean Princess to their excursion desk, but they did not seem very caring. Also, I was not the only one to have difficulty with the Hato Cave climb or inside visit. It truly ruined my view of Princess tours.
Read lratoff1's full Caribbean Princess cruise review
Member Image meganturner
Mar 2018
Cave guide was very informative. No pictures allowed in cave except one room due to bats in cave. Cave is above ground so very hot and humid inside. Tour last approx 45 mins inside cave. Must climb up 50 steps to enter cave and then back down to exit. Interesting for first time but don't need to do again.
Read meganturner's full Norwegian Jade cruise review
Member Image cruzn4me4ever
Mar 2018
Another day of sightseeing. Enjoyed seeing the island from a bus, as I was not impressd enough to tour it on my own.
Read cruzn4me4ever's full Crown Princess cruise review
Member Image PHJohn
Mar 2018
Lovely tour of the cave, guide was mindful of peoples ability to climb up the 45 steps. well informed and friendly guide. Beautiful cave - worth visiting.
Read PHJohn's full Navigator of the Seas cruise review
Member Image liseybeast
Feb 2018
Very fun to walk through and see the stalactites and stalagmites.
Read liseybeast's full Royal Princess cruise review
Member Image Chatwidow
Jan 2018
Meh. Wouldn’t recommend. It was disappointing and then the walking tour was okay but we had already walked the town in the morning on our own.
Read Chatwidow's full Norwegian Breakaway cruise review
Member Image Shazzer4400
Dec 2017
The farm and the caves were very cool spots and both guides there were excellent. The guide on the bus had a heavy accent making it difficult to understand her.
Read Shazzer4400's full Norwegian Jade cruise review
Member Image artprofessor
Dec 2017
Hato caves were excellent and manageable even with a crutch and leg brace. The 49 steps to the top to get into the cave were very manageable. Good overview of the island on the way to the caves
Read artprofessor's full Norwegian Dawn cruise review
Member Image night911
Dec 2017
Good tour high point for me was the Iguanas in the trees as we walked to the cave.
Read night911's full Royal Princess cruise review
Member Image bestnana2007
Dec 2017
This cave was very interesting. I have been in cave, but never one that warm. Our cuide did a great job. Afterward the walking tour was done well. I did some shopping .
Read bestnana2007's full Royal Princess cruise review
Member Image tctommy
Dec 2017
well spoken guide gave a great tour and the cave is not for people with walking problems
Read tctommy's full Crown Princess cruise review
Member Image mistyw
Oct 2017
Love it! Not too strenuous and very interesting.
Read mistyw's full Serenade of the Seas cruise review
Member Image sonvoltken6
Sep 2017
We really liked this tour. Of course, the caves were not what you expect if you have done Harrison Caves in Barbados, or caves in the US. These were up on the side of a hill. The 50 steps you climb are to get into the cave. As such, it was hot and humid. But it was very interesting. The city tour is a walking tour and as with every port, it was hot with NO breeze.
Read sonvoltken6's full Celebrity Equinox cruise review
Provider: Celebrity Cruises
Member Image waysco
Sep 2017
First time to the caves. Interesting and staff was very informative and courteous.
Read waysco's full Celebrity Equinox cruise review
Provider: Celebrity Cruises
Member Image cnj2229
Jul 2017
Private tour catered to your specific likes. Caves are a must. Completely comfortable, saw much of the countryside and beaches but could have used more time downtown sadly it was quick. Sure to be back on ship on time.
Read cnj2229's full Carnival Vista cruise review
Provider: Sand and Stiletto
Member Image racman54
Jun 2017
Definitely not worth it - The cave of Curacao is small and has nothing particular to write home about. Better catch a cave somewhere else when you get a chance and go to the beach in Curacao - My girlfriend insisted on going and I complied. She will not hear the end of it.
Read racman54's full Zenith cruise review
Provider: Pullmantur
Member Image Yurko
Apr 2017
Seeing the caves was amazing! Saw lots of bats too!! Many steep stairs and close spaces, so not for the faint of heart or folks with mobility issues.
Read Yurko's full Navigator of the Seas cruise review
Member Image mowilliams1
Mar 2017
We wanted to take more pictrues but could only take pictures in one part of the cave. You need to be able to walk up a lot of steps for this tour.
Read mowilliams1's full Navigator of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Damspyder
Mar 2017
We did a City, Caves and Beach tour, which we enjoyed. Not big beach people, but enjoyed snorkeling for about an hour. Enjoyed seeing the city. Cave was nothing special.
Read Damspyder's full Navigator of the Seas cruise review
Provider: Rosie
Member Image Harley Granny
Feb 2017
very cool cave....be prepared to walking up 49 very steep steps....then back down again.
Read Harley Granny's full Carnival Conquest cruise review
Provider: Carnival Cruise Line
Member Image triumph boy
Jan 2017
We have done 4 cave tours and this is the best. What you see is interesting, and once you climb the 49 stairs, the rest of the tour is easy.
Read triumph boy's full Caribbean Princess cruise review
Member Image KMTraveler
Jan 2017
Overall very good as compared to excursions on other islands. Tour guides were pleasant, on time, and helpful. One thing disappointing was that six of us were assigned to a second mini-van which followed the lead van. Not sure if mini-van was added because they were overbooked? In any case, space was very tight. Van could only hold 5 additional passengers comfortably.
Read KMTraveler's full Caribbean Princess cruise review
Provider: Costco
Member Image ckaweigh
Jan 2017
Tour guide (Shadya) made this tour a great experience. Her English was perfect and you can tell she loves what she does. Saw Museum, Hato Caves, Distillery. Caves were best part.
Read ckaweigh's full Zuiderdam cruise review
Provider: Holland America Line
Member Image OurView
Jan 2017
Excellent, mind the 49 steps up & down to and from the cave.
Read OurView's full Britannia cruise review
Provider: P&O Cruises
Member Image kconstantine
Dec 2016
too late in the day and restrictions with regard to taking pictures . Also the stores closed by 7:30 and took off all the lights and we were still docked for3 hours
Read kconstantine's full Carnival Splendor cruise review