2. Cruise Destinations
656
304
156
Sail Date: September 2014

I will try to be as brief as possible. Since we booked a jr. suite embarkation was a breeze. We were onboard 15 minutes after stepping off the bus. Debarkation was the same. We weren't even asked for our passports. An immigration officer just stood there and collected our declaration forms as the line of people passed.

Check every receipt. We were overcharged for the first drink we bought. Check your room charges daily. There were charges added to our room twice that were not ours.

We did anytime dining, made reservations, but still had to stand in line for a table. What's the point of reservations? The food was hit or miss in the main dining room. The service was awful. 30 minutes between courses was the norm. Dinner lasted over 2 1/2 hours each night. Their favorite saying was "we are very busy." Gee, it's a cruise ship at dinnertime, imagine that. We had different waiters each night, same service. It appears they are severely understaffed. There are also items on the menu that have an upcharge.

The food trough (buffet) was limited, had the same items each day and was not open during some parts of the day.

Beware, there is a charge for room service after midnight.

There is no grill, pizza place or deli on board this ship.

We ate at Chops Grille one night. (one meal at a specialty restaurant was free members) The food was great, the service was as bad as the main dining room. The waiter had sweat running down his face from running around like crazy. There were four tables near us that had not been cleared of dirty dishes well into our meal. Had I not brought this to the attention of the restaurant manager they probably would never had been cleared. The meal lasted over 2 hours.

One afternoon we got a call from someone named Gary and he said there was a cancelation at the Chef's Table and offered us a greatly reduced price. We jumped on it. It was the most exquisite meal we've ever had probably anywhere. 7 courses with wine parings for each course. It was the highlight of our onboard experience.

Since there was no room service breakfast on the last day we went to the dining room. We ordered juice, coffee, cereal and granola. We got our coffee but no one came by with a Danish tray nor did our food arrive and 20 minutes later our number was called and we had to leave.

Unlike Princess or Carnival you are not allowed to bring water or soft drinks on board with you.

This cruise line wants to nickel and dime you to death or should I say five and ten dollar you to death.

The cabin was spacious and had a full, although small tub in the bathroom. The counter top was granite but very worn. The floor was stained and dirty. There was a walk in closet that was roomy enough for all our clothes. The balcony had two small chairs and a little round table. When I took the ottoman outside it was rather comfortable sitting in the chair with my feet up but they could have had much better furnishing on the balcony. The bed was absolutely horrible. After three calls someone finally came to look at it and they added 5 mattress pads to it but a worn out mattress is worn out, period. There were two distinct dips in the mattress, one on each side of the bed. They told us there was no replacement mattress available on board. We slept in a hole every night and woke up sore every day of the cruise. The cabin is under the lido deck. It is the only deck with jr. suites. There was constant noise from above. Chairs scraping, carts being rolled, people stomping, and the sound of water sloshing around. (the pool maybe?) The last night of the cruise was the worst. We could not sleep at all due to the noise. I guess they were cleaning all night.

There is no refrigerator in the room. It is a "cool box" to keep the cookies from melting.

There is no pen or paper in the room. They have stopped supplying them. Bring your own.

You have to request ice for your room and it took us three requests before we actually got some.

Sail Date: September 2014

My Wife, Mom & Daughter (11 months old) recently came back from a great week on the Carnival Splendor, and since this site has always been such a great resource for me I decided to finally do a review of my own.

My wife and ... Read More

My wife and I have now been on 6 cruises, 5 with Carnival (Triumph, Glory, Dream, Miracle & Splendor). All our previous cruises were Caribbean based & left from various ports in Florida, so this was our first time leaving from NYC. We got a ride and were dropped off around noon in the drop off area. We had ample time to off load and get organized. I was initially worried that it would be a "rush rush" situation and having a baby things take a little longer, thankfully that wasn't the case. The Manhattan cruise port building itself is not as "pretty" as say Miami, but it definitely gets the job done. We were through the line @ Check In and security within 20-30 mins and headed straight on board with no waiting for zones to be called. VERY efficient port compared to previous sailings.

Sailing out of NYC was an amazing experience. From the skyline views, to seeing the new Freedom tower and Statue Of Liberty up close. To heading under the Verrazano bridge (ship comes about 2 feet from touching it) this was one of the most incredible sail away experiences I've ever had.

THE SHIP

The Spelendor is a beautiful Ship, the only Carnival ship I've been on that tops it was the Dream. I always research to see the age and last dry dock of ships before we book. I wasn't able to find that info on this ship (in regards to dry dock), but it's in GREAT shape. Clean and no visible signs of aging. It's a large vessel as well, I believe only the Dream class ships are bigger for Carnival. This is the PERFECT ship for this itinerary! We sailed at the end of September so the weather wasn't exactly hot as we sailed north. The Splendor thankfully has a retractable roof over the Lido deck! It was closed most of the time keeping that area usable and very warm during the colder parts. Makes me wonder why all ships don't have it.

We upgraded to a 10th deck Spa balcony which includes free access to the Spa amenities. If that's your thing, it's well worth the small upgrade price. The Splendor was initially designed for Costa which is a bit bigger on the Spa experience, so the Spa on this ship is a bit grander than the average Carnival Ship. We used it almost every day.

The overall design is a little....pink, but at the end of the day it was still a beautiful ship to sail on.

DINING

The food in the main dining room was for the most part great every time we ate there. The buffet (as always) was hit and miss. Some things great, most things OK, some things not so great. Make the time and eat in the dining room (especially for dinner). Carnival recently introduced upgraded meal options in the dining room. This essentially gives you the SAME meals served in the speciality restaurants for $35 at a lower price of $20. We tried the Lobster and Filet Mignon one night and it was well worth the small fee.

SERVICE

Maybe the crew has been on board for a while on this ship, because I found they weren't all as perky and cheerful as usual. That is NOT to say they didn't get the job done though. Our cabins were always clean and any and all requests were handled well. I'd still rate the service at least 8/10.

ENTERTAINMENT

I found the shows in the main Theatre on the Splendor to be slightly better than a lot of Carnival ships I've been on. Great production values as far as Cruise ship entertainment goes. Take the time to check some of the shows. I'm a big fan of the Comedy Club so I was there almost every night. Good (not great) comics, but still worth the time to go. This itinerary brings out an older crowd...MUCH OLDER crowd. My wife and I are in our Mid 30s and felt like kids on board. The average age was 65 & up. Didn't bother us much because we weren't there to party, but just be prepared if you are heading on the Canada/New England cruise. According to the crew, that's the normal age group for this itinerary.

Overall it was another great Carnival experience that ensured I will be back again. Thanks Carnival Splendor!

Sail Date: September 2014

I sailed on the Summit in September to New England and Canada. This was my 3rd sail on the Summit. It's a nice ship but my husband and I prefer, larger, more modern ships and we won't be returning to the Summit again. I wish Celebrity would bring new ship to Bayonne because we love Bermuda and would love to sail their again but we are tired of this ship at the point and our next cruise with be on the new RCL Quantum of the Seas.

This was a nice relaxing and very scenic itinerary. We had great weather and enjoyed all the ports. We booked all our excursions through Celebrity and I am glad we did as there was lots of traffic in some areas and we might not have made it back on the ship if we didn't. The food and entertainment were all very good. We are both 60 and this trip had a much older crowd, to be expected on this type of cruise with a length of 14 days. The highlight of our cruise was following Jordan Peterson, the Piano Player/Vocalist, around from one venue to another. This was our 3rd sail with Jordan and we loved every one of his performances. He made our trip enjoyable. Jordan playa a wide range of music and appeals to his entire audience taking requests along the way. He is absolutely wonderful. We also had a wonderful lecturer on our ship, Steven Friedman, who did several lectures on Broadway musicals. He was wonderful.

Sail Date: September 2014

The cruise itinerary was outstanding. Our cabin arrangements were wonderful as was our cabin attendant.

The embarkation from Port Liberty was as good as one could expect, as the port is being upgraded and there is considerable construction going on around the area. We found the layout of the ship made getting from one area to another very accessible . We chose "My Time Dining" for our evening meal on Deck 5. The suggestion is to reserve your meal time prior to boarding the ship. This can only be done if you know the names and cabin numbers of those with which you'll be eating. First night, no problem. Second night we wanted to eat with four other people from our group of 33 ... this threw a wrench into their system.. Why they need to know who is eating at your six top table is beyond me. It turned into a "Windjammer buffet" night.

Service in the Columbus (deck 5) dining room was excellent, as was the food. In Portland, we purchased the "Lighthouses of Maine" excursion .... Not a good value as we encountered a guide from LaLa land. She must have counted the number of people on the bus at least 20 times, got worried that we might actually try to go into a lighthouse, then got rude because she had given us the wrong time to be on the bus. Bar Harbor was a hit with all in our group as was Saint John. Our only other excursion was a bus tour of Boston. Could have spent another day in BeanTown.. so much to see.

The disembarkation of the ship was a true log jamb of folks all trying to jump the gun on the times they were assigned. The Explorer staff should work to remedy this.

Overall, the cruise was a good one for the value.

1 Helpful Vote
Sail Date: September 2014

Sailed on the September 21st Canada/New England 14 day cruise.

With the exception of the second day in Quebec City, we had nice weather and the leaves were starting to change colour.

Food is always very subjective. I ... Read More

Sailed on the September 21st Canada/New England 14 day cruise.

Food is always very subjective. I always found something on the daily menu to eat - trying pasta, vegetarian, beef, lamb, chicken, veal etc. I think that portions were smaller; however, it meant not feeling 'stuffed' when having an appetizer, soup or salad and the main entrée. Some of the descriptions of vegetables did not indicate that they were mainly pureed. I had no complaint with the food. We had early dining. Also had breakfast (once) and lunch) (once) in the main dining room and room service (twice). The buffet had lots of choices, and personally I liked that some portions were in small bowls. At breakfast - they had assorted fruit in a bowl; however, next to this they had watermelon, various melons that you could serve yourself. The pizza line-up was sometimes long as was the sandwich area. Did not eat at the grill by the pool. Again - lots of choice in the buffet. Tables in the buffet (when I was there) were always kept clean and no dirty dishes were left on the tables. Also - had staff asking if I wanted an additional beverage or sometimes I went and got my own bottled water, which was my choice to do - not because of lack of service.

Bistro on Five continues to be a favourite of mine - especially the Italian crepe (even good at breakfast). Serving staff were excellent. Café Baccio also a favourite - enjoyed the delicious pastries and the various teas (I am not a coffee drinker)

I had the premium non-alcoholic package and never a problem being served - there was always someone asking me if I wanted something, including in the theatre.

Staff were always friendly and eager to please. Room steward and assistant room steward were excellent in keeping the cabin clean, keeping the ice bucket filled, etc. Also, when I had a slight mishap -- they brought an extra ice bucket to use for cold compresses, etc. Waiters/waitresses were also very good, not only in the main dining room but in other venues as well.

The one complaint I would have is "Shame on you Celebrity" As so many passengers wanted early dining and the select dining was full, they decided to add an additional 240 diners to the maximum capacity of 600. The first few nights everyone served, including the maitre'd. As they added tables, waiters had a hard time getting between the tables with their trays. Celebrity -- as the average age on the ship (I heard) was 77 years - what would have happened if there had been an emergency??

The captain Leonardo Palalokrassas (voice from above) was seen regularly chatting to guests and he kept us informed. We had a problem when the ship left Halifax and he kept us fully informed. A result of this was that we did not visit Sydney, Nova Scotia. Celebrity offered $300 compensation to each stateroom as well as port fees. As we had a ship excursion, this was also refunded. I thought that was very fair and I had not expected it.

The shows - some I liked over others - but that is personal preference. I really enjoyed the guitarist, Nestor Santuro, when he played in the various venues and the Andrea Lisa Quartet. Personally, I did not attend any of the dance sessions, Sin City etc. but some of our table mates did and they had a great time.

Personally, I did not find Emile Baladi, podium speaker, to be very good and also very hard to understand. Have had better speakers on other Celebrity ships.

Concierge hostess, Nadia, and guest services staff were always helpful. Excursion staff did not always have the correct information when asking about excursions. We did mainly ship excursions and booked them prior to sailing however, inquired about descriptions of several of the tours and was given wrong information.

Balcony was fine and showed no rust. I did not specifically go around looking for areas to find some problems with. Public areas were clean. It is a vacation and I am there to enjoy myself.

All in all - had a very good cruise - met lots of nice fellow passengers, enjoyed the various activities that I attended. Will I sail with Celebrity again -- yes - have two cruises booked.

1 Helpful Vote
Sail Date: September 2014

The itinerary was just as we expected and we loved every port of call but our cabin and many outside areas were disgusting!

We are in our late 40's and have been on 5 cruises to date and this is the worst room I have every stayed in whether on a cruise or hotel

In our cabin we had...rusty outside table, dirty patio doors and runner, badly chipped handles, ripped valence, wonky light switches, water ingress on the bathroom mirror and worst of all, broken bathroom tiles with rust stains. (I have photos if you want to see them)

We complained both on board and since our return but no one seems to care. Even the head of housekeeping said she was appalled by the state of our room but had no control over moving us.

The swimming pool had large rust areas on the edges of the pool and around the submerged lights, did not use it. The sun beds were badly stained and the decking needed re-painting as was mouldy and black.

This was our first (and last) trip with Celebrity, never again. this is NOT 'Modern Luxury' by anyone's standards and their customer care is non-existent.

Sail Date: September 2014

Holland America prices its Canada/New England cruises at a premium. It is not worth the money.

1) The "spacious" rooms are not spacious-my wife and I could not pass each other anywhere in our veranda "suite." Lots of closets, sure, but they take up most of the entrance. The bed consumed 2/3 of the floor space.

2) Service was so bad in the dining room the first night, we never went back. Canaletto was just a walled off portion of the Lido buffet. The food was from the same kitchen, served by the same staff. Uninspired and pretty tasteless.

3) The Pinnacle was fabulous. The food was outstanding and the service was so good I gave the waitress an additional $20. The Lido buffet was good, plentiful and service was good and friendly.

4) Rust on the ship seems to be only painted over, not properly sand blasted and then painted. The teak deck of the balcony was bleached out and not very pretty. The windows on all decks needed to be cleaned.

5) The ship excursion in Charlottetown was boring but perhaps that is because the town is boring. The ship excursion in Halifax was excellent, particularly the stop at the Citadel with folks made up in 18th century soldier garb.

6) Embarkation and disembarkation was swift and easy. Despite warnings from HAL, there were plenty of taxis in Montreal.

7) Entertainment was excellent. Classical piano and violin in the lounge next to the Pinnacle and new Country in the sports bar. We did not go to the big showroom shows.

8) The lifeboat drill was held outside with ship's staff shouting through bullhorns to take the roll. Crowded and a good way to spread infection and illness.

9) I am an avid photographer, using different memory cards at each stop to avoid problems. Apparently, upon return from the Halifax tour, the magnetometer was turned up to prevent ISIS from entering the ship: all 35 of my images were wiped out!!!

We chose the Holland America trip because it was the only one I found going all the way to Montreal-BIG MISTAKE!!! Should we ever cruise again (I was diagnosed with Spinal Stenosis ten days before departure), it won't be on Holland America.

Sail Date: September 2014

We had a wonderful time on Carnival Splendor, our second cruise. (Our first was Norwegian Jewel to the Western Caribbean). The decor of Splendor was whimsical. At first I did not like it, but by the time of debarkation it had grown on me. It was the perfect decor for a fantasy world, and that is what cruising on Splendor was like, a fantasy world. I liken it to "Camp for Adults". We were pampered from dusk til dawn, 24/7. The food was good, (a few of the selections were truly memorable - the Devils Cake at afternoon tea in the Golden Pearl, the Prosciutto Pizza topped with arugula from the Pizza Bar, Chateaubriand with Short Rib Entree in the Black Pearl were all truly yummy).

The shows were terrific. Great dancers and singers with an amazing array of colorful costume changes (including wigs for the dancers). The comedy shows had us laughing in tears, providing many repetitions to share the night with others. The staff was always ready to entertain us with trivia in the Lobby or name that tune at the Piano Bar.

I loved strolling to the Lido after a late show to catch part of a movie on the big screen above the pool under the retractable roof or to grab a midnight snack.

Since we were sailing north in September, it may have been too cool for swimming, but the weather was reasonably warm, enough to take advantage of the two deck high flume slide! What fun, like a personal roller coaster in a salt water chute!

In ports we mostly walked or rented bicycles. We thoroughly enjoyed what each port had to offer.

By the end of our week on Carnival Splendor, I was suggesting that we sell our home and stay aboard the ship! After my fantasy week, I returned with four pounds to shed, but it was well worth the effort it will take.

Can't wait to sail again - I think I am officially hooked on cruising!

Sail Date: September 2014

I wanted to take a cruise from New England to Canada and surpise my mother-in-law and my sister-in-law as our travel companions. This cruise was a discounted cruise. This cruise cost me more that a 16 day transatlantic repo cruise and frankly it was a bust. The Maasdam was an older ship which showed it's age, the food was below average and if it wasn't for the service Staff this whole trip was not worth half what I paid for. The ports were on a whole ok but one day in Sydney(boring) was better off as two days in Quebec City(beautiful). I was very disappointed with the setup in the buffet as I was never sure where to go for anything morning after noon or night as the setup confused a lot of people and the variety was very limited. I just wanted to let Holland America know that after spending over 6000 USD that I will probably never take a cruise on their line again. I would really like to hear from them and discuss the trip on a one to one basis but have not heard a word from them since I filed my Holland survey. I booked two staterooms 065/377

Sail Date: September 2014

First off, let me say I have only been on one other Carnival ship before, the Carnival Magic. Great ship! Most of my cruises have been with NCL. That being said, the Carnival Splendor is in need of it's retrofit more sooner, than later if it wants to compete with the newer market of cruise ships.

To begin the review, embarkation wasn't too bad, considering it's N.Y.C. Yes, they are rude at the port. Being originally from California, the first time I went through this port I was surprised at the surliness. Now after 8 years here, I'm getting used to it. Once you get on the ship, well, it was nice to have someone holding those big drinks to buy. My friend purchased one for each of us. It was nice to feel on vacation, but looking around, I felt like this was not a cruise for anyone generation X, or Y, or single. The ship was 80's, and tired looking. Lots of pink. I had been warned on CC. We headed off to the buffet, and it was so small. Not many choices. The crew was nice, though. We finished our food, and drinks, and headed to our room. I will say the rooms on a Carnival ship are bigger than on a NCL ship, however, yes it was pink! More of a coral color, but yup, 80's decor! We had reservations for dinner at the steakhouse that same night. Yes, we got a nice, free bottle of white wine, and the steak was really good. Dessert, too! The included dinning rooms also have good food, and great service. I liked the running track on top the ship. Plenty of room for my jog. The gym is alright. The casino, and kids' game room were lackluster. The shops were a bore. The entertainment was novice. The dance club, well, let's say I do enjoy listening to the oldies, but dancing to them?! They had the right music for the couples dancing, though. Everyone was 55+. No dancing for me, and I usually love to. Pretty much, all I did was eat, work out, listen to music by the pool, and sleep. Most boring cruise ever! So unless you are a 55+ couple, I don't not suggest a fall time cruise to Canada on a tired ship like the Splendor. Not even for the kids. All you have is the kids club, and a water slide, or two. Not much fun when it's starting to get cold out. I will give Carnival props for their disembarkation process. Way much smoother than on NCL. We were off the ship in record time.

Find a Cruise